PDA

View Full Version : Displacement + Ok...MDD

RebelHill
01-12-2009, 06:48 AM
Ok... so we all know well by now that if you're gonna add a displacement (from ZB say) to a character mesh, that you need to use the "after bones" or any "bfore displacement" SubD order... no worries...

However... If i want to bake out an animation to MDD, then Im left unable to subdivide before the displacement, but after the MDD (since obviously.. MDD is a displacement)...

Anyone got a workaround for this figured yet...

Help would be much appreciated. thanks.

Cageman
01-12-2009, 07:02 AM
Ok... so we all know well by now that if you're gonna add a displacement (from ZB say) to a character mesh, that you need to use the "after bones" or any "bfore displacement" SubD order... no worries...

However... If i want to bake out an animation to MDD, then Im left unable to subdivide before the displacement, but after the MDD (since obviously.. MDD is a displacement)...

Anyone got a workaround for this figured yet...

Help would be much appreciated. thanks.

Apply your displacement before baking, and instead of baking to MDD, use a tool called Save Transformed Sequence (http://www.interialabs.de/lw/lscript/index.html) (scroll down to find the script) which will output an LWO-sequence based on your display subpatch level (ie...an LWO-sequence with displacements). Then, use a stand alone tool called MDD Compiler (http://www.ef9.com/ef9/PO1.5/PointOven_Downloads.html) (scroll down to the bottom) to convert the resulting LWO-sequence to an MDD. Copy one of those exported LWOs (one of those that came out in your sequence) to your object directory and apply the MDD to it in Layout. Problem solved.

RebelHill
01-12-2009, 07:11 AM
Yeah... thats one way...

I know I can subdivide to buggery, apply my displacement, and MDD bake out the higher resolution mesh... but that kinda leaves me with a gajillion polys, and screws up any chance of optimising things for close ups/wides... using APS, etc...

I think theres probs no other way... but still hopeful theres a hidden "trick" somewhere thatll let me do it.

RebelHill
01-12-2009, 07:25 AM
or theres the metalink option...

Can bake mdd at the lower res... then do displacement mapping as normal, and use metalink to stick the hires displaced mesh to the lo res MDD... that may cause issues and shall need some experimentation I think.

Cageman
01-12-2009, 08:07 AM
or theres the metalink option...

Can bake mdd at the lower res... then do displacement mapping as normal, and use metalink to stick the hires displaced mesh to the lo res MDD... that may cause issues and shall need some experimentation I think.

Yeah... but it's worth a try. I did try that with the codfish, but it ended up not working to well on tight areas, like the eyes and parts of the mouth.