PDA

View Full Version : Preset Central Video Tutorials

Matt
01-12-2009, 06:25 AM
Just a heads up to all, we've posted video tutorials for Preset Central on the website.

These are mainly aimed at those new to LightWave and the concept of using presets within LightWave.

Grab them here (in the news section, although will be in their own page when the site changes are done).

http://www.presetcentral.com/

Cheers
Matt

benhaines
01-13-2009, 06:26 AM
Thanks Matt :)

Hopper
01-13-2009, 07:09 AM
Very nice. Gracias sir.

Tobian
01-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Just spotted these before I spotted this post hehe :) Very cool. These would have saved me a good bit of faffing on, when I made my first pre-sets, if I'd seen them first! ;)

Now go explain linear workflow :p

steamthunk
01-13-2009, 08:45 AM
Hey. I love the idea of presetcentral. I just wish there were more presets that didn't rely on 3rd party plug-ins.

benhaines
01-13-2009, 09:01 AM
Hi steamthunk,

I hear you! Fortunately one of the main new features of the immiment upgrade is the ability to filter out IFW and LWCad presets :)

Hopefully it will make your PresetCentral experience just that little bit smoother.

Ben

Hopper
01-13-2009, 09:10 AM
Hey. I love the idea of presetcentral. I just wish there were more presets that didn't rely on 3rd party plug-ins.
It would be nice, but then again hobbiests such as myself are grateful for the ones that are there without the plug-ins, so I can't complain. I couldn't justify the purchase of ifwshader, but of course my work doesn't depend on it.

benhaines
01-14-2009, 01:54 AM
As a fellow hobby 3d person I understand where you are coming from. All the more reason to share normal presets :)

The reason there are so many IFW presets is because the author of IFW has been busy uploading, where as uploads/sharing of normal presets by the community has been quite slow.

I have been pulling my hair out trying to work out why this is the case...

- Do users not know what presets are?
- Do users not know how to make presets?
- Is the upload process too complicated?
- Do LightWave users just not care enough?

The videos made by Matt are suppose to help users siding with the first two question.

Changes to the site should address the 3rd issue... and finally to address the 4th. We are going to be giving 5 amazing prizes in a competition.

So I'm expecting an influx in preset uploads :)

Tobian
01-14-2009, 02:49 AM
I'm not knocking the maker of IFW, it's a great resource for his users too! No reason it should be 'limited', but yes, being able to select what you have access too would save time for the rest of us. Also - can you see if you can put some samples in some of the IFW presets.. sometimes all you have is an intriguing looking swatch, and no test image, which is often about as much use as a chocolate teapot :)

Matt
01-14-2009, 02:57 AM
It makes sense to be able to filter out third party plugin needed presets, if you don't own it, you don't want to wade through loads of presets useless to you!

The new site will also have icons next to the presets that need such plugins, so that should also make it easier to filter out ones you can't use.

Nothing against IFW Shaders, but we weren't quite expecting the volume of IFW vs Normal presets!

:)

benhaines
01-14-2009, 03:00 AM
Lol... I love your analogy. Yes I agree having samples scenes and test images are really handy. Do you mean IFW presets specifically or just in general?

We have the preset standard scene (http://www.presetcentral.com/standardscene/) and we try to encourage all users to add as many associated files as possible e.g. sample scenes, test renders, etc... when sharing presets.

I know I'm preaching to the converted... afterall your presets have sample images, etc. :) http://www.presetcentral.com/preset/81/

http://www.presetcentral.com/user/tobian/

To try and encourage people to show the many uses of a presets users can also upload examples of the preset in use. In other words attaching a render with a preset for public viewing... a showcase for the preset.

benhaines
01-14-2009, 03:28 AM
Thanks for the feedback neverko. Really helpful. :thumbsup:

Fully understand the copyright issue... it reminds me of the day somebody uploaded a whole bunch of scenes from an animated series that was on TV at the time (something to do with aliens) to the first version of PresetCentral.com, which must have been copyrighted.

I keep wondering whether allowing the upload of other digital assets... scenes, objects, etc. would be useful. But it just seemed sensible to stick to presets for the moment. After all there are a 100 different sites that already allow you to share models and scenes.

Tobian
01-14-2009, 03:53 AM
I mean in general.. it's just that IFW are one of the biggest offenders for not having a preview render! I honestly don't know why people didn't use the provided scene as it makes most materials look sexy!

Yeah, it's tough to think up things do do that are purely procedural, or use only a few images that don't break copyright. I did consider doing sets, or actually a more easily - tweakable version of some of my nodal shaders, but there's a point where you do think - figure it out on your own - that's how I did it! There's education, and then there's hand holding. I would do more surfaces, but I am largely out of ideas on WHAT to do! :)

Actually Matt, how about a tutorial on making energy conserving dielectric materials (as most of mine are) I'll gladly help out with the resources, but I don't have vid software or the bottle to sound like an idiot in a microphone :D

Tobian
01-14-2009, 04:13 AM
Hehe cheers! :) I did consider uploading some of the surfaces from that, but they are all still quite WIP too, as I get a handle on the lighting! and as you mentioned, very situational specific, like my plasma, which is dependant on several surfaces, lighting and radiosity, and very scale specific (My station is a weird scale for complex reasons :D)

Matt
01-14-2009, 04:47 AM
Actually Matt, how about a tutorial on making energy conserving dielectric materials (as most of mine are) I'll gladly help out with the resources, but I don't have vid software or the bottle to sound like an idiot in a microphone :D

I could do that, first I need to understand what I'm talking about! ;)

Tobian
01-14-2009, 04:56 AM
Well there is that, but then that's the other reason I don't want to do it: I don't want to start talking about it, only to find out I am talking rubbish :D

Matt
01-14-2009, 05:11 AM
Well there is that, but then that's the other reason I don't want to do it: I don't want to start talking about it, only to find out I am talking rubbish :D

I got over that issue a long time ago, I constantly call things the wrong name, say things that are incorrect and miss stuff out completely!

benhaines
01-14-2009, 08:16 AM
Which is why your girlfriend left you and you are now undergoing therapy... no?

Joking aside... keen to compile your vids under the video section of PresetCentral.com Matt. :D

Matt
01-14-2009, 08:30 AM
Which is why your girlfriend left you and you are now undergoing therapy... no?

Joking aside... keen to compile your vids under the video section of PresetCentral.com Matt. :D

Aye, I'll gather them all together at some point!

Hopper
01-17-2009, 12:21 PM
I would be happy to upload presets, if I didn't suck so bad at texturing. Most of my textures are nominal (metal, glass, plastic, etc..) and don't have too much value since most can be reproduced with one or two layers using basic built in presets.

But as for the site, I'm not sure why people wouldn't upload their textures with the standard scene. It's not like it wasn't given to us on a silver platter. Just apply the texture, render, and uploiad. You couldn't have made it any simpler. It is kind of annoying seeing textures on a preview sphere in "tiny mode" and not being able to see a larger representation to review.

One other thing I would like to see, is a indication of whether or not it is a standard texture layer or Nodal preset. I see that most put it in comments, but some do not. A simple "Type: <xxxxxx>" would be sufficient. I would like to see this so when I see a "Nodal" type, I can run screaming since the nodal system scares me to death ... I soooooooo suck at it. :D

JeffrySG
01-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I think that by default all searches should not include 3dr party plugins. Users could add them to a seach if needed. I also think all the presets should have to use the provided scenes and have a preview.

I was actually thinking that the site would take off a lot more than it has. Hopefully it still will. The new videos by matt should help a bit I think as I know I had many questions when I first started with the site.

Tobian
01-17-2009, 04:14 PM
I don't know really: Many of the most used nodes and shaders ARE 3rd party, such as Dpont nodes and textures, and SG and Pomms occlusion shaders, and Db&W's great mixer shaders.. all of which are free! You just have to go out there and get them! :)

Point being there's a huge difference between 'commercial' plugins and free ones!

Matt
01-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Well, you know what the solution is, upload more presets that don't use plugins!

:D

revengeofmonty
07-28-2010, 01:39 AM
Draggin up an old discussion, I know.

I couldn't classify myself as much more than an avid tinkerer. As such, I would hesitate to upload any presets because, quite frankly, there are far more talented people out there creating better ones!

archijam
07-28-2010, 04:17 PM
Ben - Any thoughts on the presetcentral suggestions I emailed to you a while back ?

benhaines
07-29-2010, 02:56 AM
Sorry archijam, I have to confess I didn't see an email from you. Would you mind emailing me again?

[email protected]

Tobian
07-29-2010, 10:18 AM
It's a shame that Preset Central went a bit quiet after the initial buzz. It's a brilliant concept and a great site! I hope we see more stuff coming soon!

Matt
07-29-2010, 02:28 PM
It's a shame that Preset Central went a bit quiet after the initial buzz. It's a brilliant concept and a great site! I hope we see more stuff coming soon!

We did expect more activity, maybe we need to advertise it more?

Kuzey
07-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Haha..I remember a copy of Core up for grabs and then it disappeared...it was well before I started having fun with surface nodes :D

Those standard scenes could do with an overall....to speed up renders...maybe, one with an hdri lighting.

Kuzey

Matt
07-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Haha..I remember a copy of Core up for grabs and then it disappeared...it was well before I started having fun with surface nodes :D

Those standard scenes could do with an overall....to speed up renders...maybe, one with an hdri lighting.

Kuzey

You know what, that is a bit embarrassing, Ben still has those prizes, we just needed to pick winners, but things became hectic and we never got round to it.

Maybe we should re-run that one Ben, it's a poor effort on our part that.

Kuzey
07-29-2010, 03:48 PM
You know what, that is a bit embarrassing, Ben still has those prizes, we just needed to pick winners, but things became hectic and we never got round to it.

Maybe we should re-run that one Ben, it's a poor effort on our part that.

Na...forget that, just send it my way..hehe :hey:

Seriously, I think it was due to a lack of entries...which is understandable.

Kuzey

Tobian
07-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Yeah I also recall those too, I just didn't want to bring it up :p I don't remember what the prize was though hehe :)

I do hope you get the oomph back into the site, I thought it was a great idea, but I personally couldn't think of many presets to make. Let me know if you want any making up, or if I can help in any way!?

Kuzey
07-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Yeah I also recall those too, I just didn't want to bring it up :p I don't remember what the prize was though hehe :)

I do hope you get the oomph back into the site, I thought it was a great idea, but I personally couldn't think of many presets to make. Let me know if you want any making up, or if I can help in any way!?

The standard scenes take too long for me to render, so...I just make models available and people can grab the presets from them. It would be a good idea to expand site to include a model library...I think, but I could be wrong :neener:

Kuzey

Tobian
07-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Yeah the presets were quite slow to render for me when I did them also. Maybe that's a sign your presets weren't very efficient :p

Yeah it was a shame there wasn't a more 'automatic' and fast way to get the presets done, or even a way to make the server render them for us :D

speismonqui
07-29-2010, 05:36 PM
I've never been able to use any preset from the site, keep receiving errors about plugins (IFW mostly).

In the only place where I thought I could get some info (FAQ menu), i got this:
"Why do some presets not work in my version of Lightwave3D?
How long have you got? Basically, "

The videos are great, may I suggest adding some info about the presets, requirements, Plugins and their links, etc, in the Home section? Would be great!

Tobian
07-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Erm.. all of the presets list which plugins the require, in the custom tags and often in the description. If you don't own IFW shaders, then you can't use surfaces which use them?

prometheus
07-30-2010, 12:28 AM
I've never been able to use any preset from the site, keep receiving errors about plugins (IFW mostly).

In the only place where I thought I could get some info (FAQ menu), i got this:
"Why do some presets not work in my version of Lightwave3D?
How long have you got? Basically, "

The videos are great, may I suggest adding some info about the presets, requirements, Plugins and their links, etc, in the Home section? Would be great!

Yeah thereīs quite many with the IFW textures, for good and bad.

I myself loaded up two explosion presets in the hypervoxels section, one of them has the need of a plug, but thatīs a free one from dpont.

and I was stating that I would like some more people post some too..
thereīs only mine there at the hypervoxels explosion area, and that I wonīt post any more unless other post some too.
Maybe thereīs to few people able to do some hv work and post.
Hv. presets are very scene dependent thou in some cases, but thatīs were posting scene examples are for.

Michael

archijam
07-30-2010, 12:56 AM
Sorry archijam, I have to confess I didn't see an email from you. Would you mind emailing me again?

[email protected]

Done :)

Kuzey
07-30-2010, 06:47 AM
Yeah the presets were quite slow to render for me when I did them also. Maybe that's a sign your presets weren't very efficient :p

Yeah it was a shame there wasn't a more 'automatic' and fast way to get the presets done, or even a way to make the server render them for us :D

The funny thing about that, was in my standard scene with HDRI lighting, it would render pretty fast (20minutes or so) but it would skyrocket at times in the preset scenes.

ps...my presets are never efficient..haha :)

Here's an example of my current experiments for node based old leather...not at the standard compared to you guys, but it's a start....and still things to work out. Some more different versions on my blog...just to let you know.

I wish there was a wrinkle/crease node...hehe :D

Kuzey

Tobian
07-30-2010, 06:56 AM
You mean like DP's curvatures node, which detects creases and wrinkles in a mesh? http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/nodes/Additionnal_Nodes_2.html :)

Very pretty, though it looks a bit shiny! :) You might want to use DP's reflections node for the reflections to be extra realistic (probably not needed but it's cool stuff) and Fresnel based reflections.

Kuzey
07-30-2010, 07:08 AM
You mean like DP's curvatures node, which detects creases and wrinkles in a mesh? http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/nodes/Additionnal_Nodes_2.html :)

Very pretty, though it looks a bit shiny! :) You might want to use DP's reflections node for the reflections to be extra realistic (probably not needed but it's cool stuff) and Fresnel based reflections.

I have those, but never tried them...I'll have to do more tests...super cool :thumbsup:

Yeah....I'm not happy with the reflections...I tried different things but it hasn't worked so far.

Many thanks for the tips :thumbsup:

Kuzey

archijam
08-04-2010, 04:55 AM

[email protected]

Ben - get my email :) ?