PDA

View Full Version : How to convert to MPEG-1 720 X 480 with VT-Edit (VT3)

wtdedula
08-11-2003, 01:10 PM
Hello All;
No one has responded to my recent post regarding a method for inputting a .avi file from T3 into the Ligos MPEG encoder so I will ask another question ...

Is there any way to create a MPEG-1 720 X 480 file from a VT-Edit project other than using the LIGOS encoder? Has anyone been successful at creating a MPEG-1 720 X 480 file yet and if so, what software did you use ?

Tim

Gordon
08-11-2003, 01:23 PM
Hi;
I just responed to your original post.

ScorpioProd
08-11-2003, 01:24 PM
Simple, use TMPGEnc, the proven solution of most VT[2/3] users.

BTW, you're a bit confused though, MPEG-1 720X480 is not a "real" format.

If you meant MPEG-2 720X480, sure, that's normal for DVD.

If you meant MPEG-1 352X240, sure, that's normal for VCD or CD-ROM use.

Gordon
08-11-2003, 01:28 PM
He didn't think TMPEGenc could do 720 x 480 MPEG-2 because the web page for "About TMPEGenc" was never updated. It still says that it only does MPEG-1!!

About TMPEGenc? (http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_about.html)

Here's the information directly from their web page:

TMPGEnc converts *.AVI file to MPEG1, the format which is used in VideoCD. Using variety of option in TMPGEnc, you can compress your video file in high quality.

(Edited: Sorry, Tim, I misunderstood you. Didn't realize that you wanted a 720 X 480 MPEG-1 file.)

wtdedula
08-11-2003, 02:39 PM
Hello All;
So ... the highest I can go with MPEG-1 is 352 X 240 ? I know that I am able to push it up to 720 X 480 MPEG-1 if I use the LIGOS encoder. Though I have two problems using it in this case today. First, the VT-Edit program does not create a .PCM audio file encoded with the video so LIGOS disables the sound. And second, when I render to a Cinepak Codec by Radius file (all night), this works in the LIGOS encoder for a while but then exits prematurely because it says it can't read some data from the source file. I have no idea why it quits before it finishes encoding.

So does anyone know of ANY Audio/Video file format that meets the following criteria ...

1) Is 720 X 480,
2) Plays in all standard media player versions WITHOUT installing any CODEC's, or player software and
3) Is fairly compact so a 20 minute production willfit on a CD or can be sent via. a high speeed corporate network.

Tim

wvp
08-11-2003, 05:45 PM
This may not help, but at least you get a response!
I am not aware of a format that will give you all that.
You could use TMPGEnc to encode to a "SVCD" file. This would give you 480x480 size, but would require a player like winDVD. You could include it on the CD though?
Window Media Player will play an Mpeg2 (aka DVD) file, perhaps it would play it from a CD? (doubtful)
The problem is an issue with speed of drives and codecs. In the not to distant future I think most PC's will have DVD drives on them & then it will be possible.
As far as not installing any players, codecs, etc. Keep in mind that there are always people who have older players, that never upgrade them or never upgrade the computer. What you are looking for will at least require some of the latest codecs, players, etc.

Gordon
08-11-2003, 05:52 PM
I wonder if you could use VirtualDub to rip the Video from the audio and at the same time convert the Audio to a different format? Then you could use the separated video and the new audio format as inputs to the Ligos encoder!!

VirtualDub Info (http://www.virtualdub.org)

ScorpioProd
08-11-2003, 10:18 PM
Sure, one can force TMPGEnc to encode MPEG-1 at 720X480, but it would look like crap unless you were using so high a data rate that you might as well be using MPEG-2. Not to mention that I wouldn't expect all computers to easily play it since it's not a legal size of MPEG-1, and again, the data rate would need to be too high that that would lower the compatibility, too.

In order to get MPEG-1 to play off a CD-ROM in any computer without needing special codecs or requirements, you should stick to 2000kb/s as the total limit.

Don't be afraid of 352X240, you'll be amazed how good it looks. The VCD format IS 352X240. It is only CBR at 1150kb/s for the video. Some people like the quality, I don't. And if your purpose isn't creating "true" VCDs, you can increase the data rate to make it look really good. That's why I use CBR at 1800kb/s for the video and 192kb/s for the audio. This will give you the compatibility with all computers, but is outside the VCD spec, so you can't play it on a stand-alone DVD player.

This is the format and settings I do all my CD-ROM work with. Everything from demos to corporate stuff for GE.