PDA

View Full Version : Recovering Corrupted Models

evolross
01-10-2009, 11:42 AM
I was just using LW 9.3.1 64-bit (because FPrime 3.2 still works in it) and had the craziest thing happen.

I was in Layout in a simple scene and adjusted a model's surface's smoothing angle. Closed the surface editor and my whole machine locked up. Even my music in iTunes crashed! I had to use the reset button on my tower.

It wasn't a big deal except I had like four models in Layout and they all got corrupted and now will not open in any version of LW. :mad:

I've never had this happen before and I've been using since 8.5. Is there anyway to recover the models?

bobakabob
01-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Check the Hub folder... do a search if you can't find it. It should store past versions of objects (though if it's not set to auto Save you may be in trouble). Don't you have backups of the models or incrementally saved versions?

shrox
01-11-2009, 12:14 PM
I was just using LW 9.3.1 64-bit (because FPrime 3.2 still works in it) and had the craziest thing happen.

I was in Layout in a simple scene and adjusted a model's surface's smoothing angle. Closed the surface editor and my whole machine locked up. Even my music in iTunes crashed! I had to use the reset button on my tower.

It wasn't a big deal except I had like four models in Layout and they all got corrupted and now will not open in any version of LW. :mad:

I've never had this happen before and I've been using since 8.5. Is there anyway to recover the models?

That is bizarre, as the model files are still closed, only a copy of it is open in the program. Were you saving at the time? I have lost a few models if it crashed while saving.

CGI Addict
01-11-2009, 06:58 PM
I created a model of the new air terminal a few years ago and everything worked fine. Recently I tried to open it in modeler and it crashes as soon as it appears on screen. Funny thing is I can open an existing scene or make a new one and the models open fine in layout. I can make any adjustments I want and everything works great. I would like to open the model itself in layout to modify it.

Model was made in LW 9 for Mac. Currently using LW 9.3

Anybody know what's wrong?

Thanks

lwanmtr
01-11-2009, 10:07 PM
is it a multi-layer object? if so, try loading each layer seperately..you may be able to recover at least some of it.

CGI Addict
01-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks I'll try that.

evolross
01-21-2009, 01:28 PM
Check the Hub folder... do a search if you can't find it. It should store past versions of objects (though if it's not set to auto Save you may be in trouble). Don't you have backups of the models or incrementally saved versions?
I didn't have the auto-save features on. I didn't even know about them. Now I do and will turn them on definitely. I did have backups and previous versions saved, but the current version had A LOT of work involved in it.

And I wasn't saving models at all. I was working on a model or two in Modeler and maybe four in a scene in Layout. I was editing surfaces in Layout and it killed the system. All four models got corrupted. Even a self-luminated single-poly model got corrupted!

I went back and re-did my changes. So it was no big deal. However, Layout has crashed my system two more times working with the same project. It's weird, they're fairly simple scenes. They are 9.3.1 though. I use it for FPrime compatibility, but I'm finding that version is really shaky. It's been crashing pretty frequently lately.

It seems to ALWAYS crash if I leave FPrime grinding and change models' surfaces in Layout. But if I pause FPrime between changes, I'm okay. It sucks but it's still faster than F9. But I still use F9 for certain things.

Sensei
01-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Anybody know what's wrong?

Opening object in Layout, but not in Modeler is usual sign of using node, shader, procedural texture or other resource that is using Layout-only globals like LWItemInfo, LWObjectInfo.. In Modeler these globals are returning NULL, and badly developed plug-in without checking against NULL will simply crash. You can try removing any resources from object and loading it in Modeler. If you have many surfaces to clear up, you can use mine SpreadSurface free plugin to do it quickly.

If clearing up won't work (check twice every tab in Surface Editor!!), you can try as last resort using Save Transformed.. or Save Object As.. this will write completely fresh object from data in computer memory..