PDA

View Full Version : Material Nodes doesn't work with RealFlow mesh seq.

chkkll
01-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Hi
i have a realflow simulated mesh seq. of 500 frames. i use the RealFlow_mesh plug-in from the "Object Disp" drop-down menu, it creates a referance, object and surface in material editor. so i use ref material to surface the mesh seq. it's all goin smooth but the problem is node based materials just don't seem to work.. i'm really stuck, i've made a cool dielectric node before that which would work perfectly for me now but this problem really makes it worthless..

does anyone have any experience or idea about it?

Captain Obvious
01-09-2009, 09:31 PM
What format are they? OBJ?

chkkll
01-09-2009, 09:40 PM
they are lwo' s straight out from RF..

Mr Rid
01-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Hi
i have a realflow simulated mesh seq. of 500 frames. i use the RealFlow_mesh plug-in from the "Object Disp" drop-down menu, it creates a referance, object and surface in material editor. so i use ref material to surface the mesh seq. it's all goin smooth but the problem is node based materials just don't seem to work.. i'm really stuck, i've made a cool dielectric node before that which would work perfectly for me now but this problem really makes it worthless..

does anyone have any experience or idea about it?

Are you using the SurfaceReplacer plugin to pre-surface your objects (available somewhere on the RF site)? And are you in 32 or 64?

chkkll
01-09-2009, 09:54 PM
im not using SurfaceReplacer, is it my solution ? im in 64bit. through reference object surface, i can surface all objects with classic surface editor and it works perfectly also with sequence rendering, the problem is just with the nodes..

chkkll
01-09-2009, 10:35 PM
i tried the SurfaceReplacer, but i dont know how to take it back into lightwave. realflow mesh import plug-in doesnt seem to be workin with the re-saved lwo's.. also noticed something while struggling, if i remove the mesh referance object from the scene, nodes renders like they should but at the end of render lw crashes :)

Mr Rid
01-10-2009, 11:16 PM
i tried the SurfaceReplacer, but i dont know how to take it back into lightwave. realflow mesh import plug-in doesnt seem to be workin with the re-saved lwo's.. also noticed something while struggling, if i remove the mesh referance object from the scene, nodes renders like they should but at the end of render lw crashes :)

I use RF infrequently and have to always re-figure out the trick and usually have to bug NextLImit to update their LW plugs. It always seems like I am the only person ever using RF in LW.

The mesh ref null has something to do with RF's attempt to update the mesh sequence surface on each frame within Layout but it never works right. Is better to use the SurfRep plug to bake surfaces before rendering. Yeah, delete the mesh ref if you can, I recall it has a way of popping back in the scene.

I used RF in 64 bit over a year ago and there were problems I am trying to recall. I know it wouldnt render over a network, and I remember having to use 32-bit license set things up ( I think one of the RF plugs didnt work in 64) and then use the 64 to render. I dont have any of my most recent scenes online to look at. But I recall that LW's object sequence tool did not work (as an alternative), and RF's moblur plug does not work. The RF sequence loader should work and then use a repeating envelope in Morph Mixer to get the moblur (0% on frame 0, 100% on frame 1- repeat).

Id say you are doing good if the only problem is a crash at the end of a render.

Jim M
01-11-2009, 11:44 AM
If you read the docs... it explains you have to disable the deformation plugin. If you want motion blur, use sub frames and the included morphs....

Netvudu
01-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Yep. All of you using Realflow now and then and not keeping over it (that goes for you David ;) ), you should check Next Limitīs latest incarnation of the connection plugin because, even not being hugely comfortable (what a surprise), it does fix most problems and you can make the mentioned surface replacement without leaving Lightwave which is nice as well.
Even if nowadays most of my fluids come and go from Houdini and Iīm using Realflow less and less, this plugin is great for working with variable-point number object sequences inside Lightwave.

Jim M
01-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Ironically the mesh ref works with FPrime but not LW native renderer..... :)

Sensei
01-11-2009, 09:31 PM
If problem is coming from losing node setup in each frame (different file on disk) you can try mine new plug-in: load all 500 object-frames to Layout.. Setup material on first object.. Then use mine SpreadSurface.. Then Save All Objects.. And material should remain on the all objects in sequence..

Mr Rid
01-11-2009, 11:58 PM
If problem is coming from losing node setup in each frame (different file on disk) you can try mine new plug-in: load all 500 object-frames to Layout...

Practicality of that would depend on the complexity of your meshes. Am more often doing a sim where even a few dozen meshes may take up a gig of ram.

chkkll
01-12-2009, 08:50 AM
it worked!!! disabling the deformation plugin as Jim said did the job. thank u so much jim, u really saved my *ss. and thanks to everyone for the help and support, i just learned many things while lookin for one..

Jim M
01-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Practicality of that would depend on the complexity of your meshes. Am more often doing a sim where even a few dozen meshes may take up a gig of ram.

The surf replacement plugin that comes with RF does the trick fine. Takes a while if you have large poly counts, but that's what you'd expect... it loads and unloads after saving.... you can download the 9.5 compatible plug from NL.