PDA

View Full Version : I have a job!

shrox
01-09-2009, 02:48 PM
I have a job! I will be at the movie studio "House of Fear" in England, I'll be starting there February 2nd. My new job is President of All the World. Well, OK, maybe not. Actually I'll be setting up a Lightwave studio for them, so that means I will be looking for two or three other artists as well. I am pretty happy about it.

I hope my jaw will relax now...it has been very stressful.

Lightwolf
01-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Wow, very cool. Congratulations and well done!

Cheers,
Mike

Stunt Pixels
01-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Congratulation dude. You must feel very relieved. Persistence wins! Woohoo!

kojean
01-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Great news, congratulations! I've seen some of your other recent posts, so I can imagine how much this means to you.

I wish you great success with your new position!

Matt
01-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Great news, this means you'll be in close enough for a beer sometime! :D

CGI Addict
01-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Right on Shrox! I'm happy for you.

Andyjaggy
01-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Congrats man, that's awesome. I hope the stress over the last 6 months hasn't taken too many years off your life! Being unemployed is no fun at all.

antsj
01-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Congrats on getting the job! :agree:

aj

adamredwoods
01-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Excellent news!

Scazzino
01-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Congratulations and have a blast setting up a new LightWave studio for them! :thumbsup:

Larry_g1s
01-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Hey...very cool Shrox! Keep us updated. ;)

rakker16mm
01-09-2009, 03:18 PM
That's excellent news!

akademus
01-09-2009, 03:18 PM
So glad about you. I found your struggle quite distressing. You've proven people should fight for what they want in life. sorry I couldn't help you out with work.

Happy new year already!!!

skate23
01-09-2009, 03:19 PM
hey shrox...good for you...and i'm available!:lwicon:
ha ha u wanna see some stuff?

as they say where i'm from' shy bairns get nowt'

translation: ask-
john -london

Dexter2999
01-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Happy to hear it, Sir!

GregMalick
01-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Congratulations!

We have been rooting for you all the way! :thumbsup:

walfridson
01-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Awesome shrox, good luck!

Darth Mole
01-09-2009, 03:50 PM
I didn't reply to your earlier posts because, well, I didn't know what to say. Your story sounded terribly sad and made me think twice about my own - currently happy and stable - situation; how quickly that stability can become eroded or disappear altogether.

Let me be the first to welcome you to England. It's a funny old country, but I think you'll like it. Apart from the weather, obviously.

If it's the studio in Cornwall, you're not (too) far away. Any other LWers in the SW fancy meeting up with Shrox for drinks?

P.S. Don't forget, my ZBrush 3.12 for Mac is up for sale! See Classifieds!

guardonduty
01-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Congrats dude. I hope you pay me back for sending you that job link.

Matt
01-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Just wanted to add, you get double points Shrox for finding work in this horrible economic climate!

Well done!

;)

cresshead
01-09-2009, 04:22 PM
great news!
who's looking after your pets once you leave the usa?

Tobian
01-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Uh oh. pet passport nastiness! :(

But WOOOOTTT!!! Fantastic news, glad to hear you got the job, hope it all works out for you! :)

(I'm not jealous at all or anything :D)

jaxtone
01-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Great to hear that you now build up a brandnew Lightwave studio in Britain! Thats good becuase every little step ahead that includes Lightwave probably makes more people interesting of the software. Some day must come when agencies, producers and directors suddenly realize that the 3D-world isnt owned by Autodesk alone!

RollerJesus
01-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Very happy to hear!

Liber777
01-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Very, very nice. Congratulations!

Dodgy
01-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Grats man :)

shrox
01-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all your comments and support. I am excited, but for the next month I am just waiting. If it was warmer I would just camp out. I'll start there February 2nd. Guess I'll pretty much miss having a new president.

I don't know if I'll be able to bring my pets. I don't think that the studio will be a great place for them, and I can't afford to move them, as I ran through my savings and gifts just staying alive. I got Sydney the border collie three years ago from BC Rescue on Father's Day, I don't want to put her back in rescue. Seva the cat I got last year, I think she will adjust easier to a new family.

At least one problem is solved, although it makes two new problems...

When I start getting paid, I want the board to pick a charity. I want to pay back what I was given from my LW friends.

Kuzey
01-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Way to go, has it really been six months.

Well done and enjoy UK when you get there!!

Kuzey

UnCommonGrafx
01-09-2009, 05:05 PM
I, too, had no idea what to say. It's great to be able to say, "Congratulations!"

My good news would be that I'm hoping they order my ten pack of LW so I can start teaching where I work. Chuckle, a wannabe DAVE school for MS and HS Deaf kids...

Again, Congrats!

ben martin
01-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Way to GO!!!

Do the impossible but don't leave your pets behind... they are your best friends, ever!

shrox
01-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Way to GO!!!

Do the impossible but don't leave your pets behind... they are your best friends, ever!

Yes, they are.

Cageman
01-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Congrats Shrox! :thumbsup:

Sounds like a really cool job you've got there. Hope everything works out for you, and please, keep us posted...

Cheers!

Cageman
01-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Great to hear that you now build up a brandnew Lightwave studio in Britain! Thats good becuase every little step ahead that includes Lightwave probably makes more people interesting of the software. Some day must come when agencies, producers and directors suddenly realize that the 3D-world isnt owned by Autodesk alone!

100% agree! I think it's a wonderful opertunity that Shrox has landed. Talk about change.. from nothing to setting up an LW studio.

It makes me happy!

:)

TripD
01-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Cheers to you Shrox! I'm glad that things worked out for you. Not to mention you get to travel abroad! Nice goin guy!

othornton
01-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Congrats on such a wonderful position shrox! I love the UK and I hope you do too. As an ex-pat I think the best tips I can give would be:
-Don't fear the food, it gets a bad rep in the same way other countries judge American food based on McDonald's. Find a good pub that serves a hot lunch on a cold day, and a cold pint on a warm one. Also, most good Indian or Fish n' Chip shops are better than almost any pizza place you'll find there. The snacks and chocolates are amazing too if you have a sweet tooth.
-Never make fun of football teams. Ever.
-Lots of historical sites/castles/ruins/museums! (If you have time to take a break from teaching people to use LW to scare the s**t out of viewers)
The pets will be tough even if you take them, as they will have to sit in quarantine for a while. Fortunately international travel rates seem to be down right now, perhaps you could find someone to pet-sit while you get your first check? If you are close with your local pet rescue maybe you could find someone in their network who could help.
Congrats again, keep us posted!

:boogiedow :beerchug: :boogiedow

Stooch
01-09-2009, 07:11 PM
good to hear. congrats.

Oedo 808
01-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Congratulations shrox, enjoy your time here.

flakester
01-09-2009, 09:16 PM
!w00t!

Way to go Shrox. :thumbsup: Best of luck in your new role.

If you ever get the chance to spill out to Birmingham (a fair distance, I know!), we'd be happy to put the kettle on or get you a few beers in. Awesome news Dude.

flakester.

Mr Rid
01-09-2009, 09:37 PM
I have a job! I will be at the movie studio "House of Fear" in England, I'll be starting there February 2nd. My new job is President of All the World. Well, OK, maybe not. Actually I'll be setting up a Lightwave studio for them, so that means I will be looking for two or three other artists as well. I am pretty happy about it.

I hope my jaw will relax now...it has been very stressful.

What? There's a LW job out there somewhere?! ... oh wait, yup, in England.

A friend has been looking for a LW job (with competitive pay, in the U.S.) recently and we realized there aren't any... except several in England and Sydney. Another LW friend just moved to London as well.

Nangleator
01-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Congratulations, Shrox! So happy to see you get through this!

shrox
01-09-2009, 09:57 PM

A friend has been looking for a LW job (with competitive pay, in the U.S.) recently and we realized there aren't any... except several in England and Sydney. Another LW friend just moved to London as well.

Yep, it seems expatriating is the way to go. Sad, because I like northern California so much. At least I'll be on a nice countryside estate.

shrox
01-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Congrats on such a wonderful position shrox! I love the UK and I hope you do too. As an ex-pat I think the best tips I can give would be:
-Don't fear the food, it gets a bad rep in the same way other countries judge American food based on McDonald's. Find a good pub that serves a hot lunch on a cold day, and a cold pint on a warm one. Also, most good Indian or Fish n' Chip shops are better than almost any pizza place you'll find there. The snacks and chocolates are amazing too if you have a sweet tooth.
-Never make fun of football teams. Ever.
-Lots of historical sites/castles/ruins/museums! (If you have time to take a break from teaching people to use LW to scare the s**t out of viewers)
The pets will be tough even if you take them, as they will have to sit in quarantine for a while. Fortunately international travel rates seem to be down right now, perhaps you could find someone to pet-sit while you get your first check? If you are close with your local pet rescue maybe you could find someone in their network who could help.
Congrats again, keep us posted!

:boogiedow :beerchug: :boogiedow

I was wondering about brands name items, like toothpaste, light bulbs, whatever. If I buy a Zippy Tartbarrel brand widget, will I like it? ( I just made that name up, cool though, sounds like a pretzel or an ale.)

I like to find a local place to eat, a diner or an owner/operator restaurant.

I have a few ideas about the pets, they are very cute, cute enough to be animal actors, and since I am going to a movie studio...maybe I can get them in through some animal work visa.

shrox
01-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Congrats dude. I hope you pay me back for sending you that job link.

I appreciate it, I was trying to remember just how I got in contact, I have so many resumes and almost interviews out there, I lost track of who said what.

shrox
01-09-2009, 10:19 PM
I am very much a Lightwave prophet. Verily, verily I say unto you, Lightwave is my favored one.

Having used Maya, Max and Lightwave, I think LW is the best overall, and the available plugins make it superior to others.

I hope I will get good support from NewTek UK, I had a NewTek friend when I lived in Austin, he was great to get help and support from when I worked at Digital Anvil. That was during the making of the Wing Commander movie. I learned allot about the film industry there, like putting a filter on my brain-to-mouth thing.

shrox
01-09-2009, 10:28 PM
hey shrox...good for you...and i'm available!:lwicon:
ha ha u wanna see some stuff?

as they say where i'm from' shy bairns get nowt'

translation: ask-
john -london

I am to get some more on board. When I get there, I'll get an official search going. I sent you a PM also.

Show us your stuff here! Now that online video has become so good, I like it allot. The future has arrived, except for the flying cars, moon bases, hot chicks in purple mini skirts and silver hair, etc.

Hey I'm funny again.

MooseDog
01-09-2009, 10:42 PM
just got back to my comp and read this, so apologies for being late to the game, but WOW! talk about a home run!

as to posting your travails on-line here, i respect some others' reticence to post or participate, but i was more than happy to do so, having been in your shoes. i'll pat myself on my back for sharing what i learned, and hopefully you did as well: DO NOT EVER give up on yourself. there's just too much going on out there, you're too smart and too persistent to be defeated by some time at the bottom.

i'll also throw out major props to you for the personal courage to share your journey with us, strangers, and the risk inherent in just hoping it would pay off.

another congrats :D

JeffrySG
01-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Best of luck! Big congrats!! :D

Lightwolf
01-10-2009, 03:41 AM
I hope I will get good support from NewTek UK,
There is no NewTek UK... therE's NewTek Europe in France and that's it (except for resellers).

Cheers,
Mike

zapper1998
01-10-2009, 03:50 AM
AWESOME news

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

DiedonD
01-10-2009, 07:32 AM
Oh so you did told us about it, I just wasnt around in LW Community that much to see it then huh? :D

Congrats again anyway :thumbsup:

akademus
01-10-2009, 07:34 AM
So awesome. Thanks for adding me. I went through setting a studio up recently, so if you need any help with that, just PM me. I'll be glad to help you out.

CHEERS!

colkai
01-10-2009, 07:56 AM
Well done, glad to hear things have improved for you. In these times, a bit of good news amongst the doom is refreshing. :)

dee
01-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Great news!!! Congratulations, I'm very happy for you! :thumbsup:

dballesg
01-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Congratulation to you Shrox.

David

archijam
01-10-2009, 11:43 AM
:thumbsup:

Perhaps I will join you guys for one of these legendary UK lw usergroup meetings...
The Devonshire tea is on me! ;)
Till soon!

Hopper
01-10-2009, 12:17 PM
That's outstanding Shrox. Glad to hear it. I was out for 11 months once. Nothing like grinding your teeth into powder every night huh...

But the relief of getting that job is like nothing else. Like the proverbial weight off the shoulders.

So tell me... once you got off the phone with them after accepting the position, how long did you dance around.. :D

LW_Will
01-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Congrats, dude!

shrox
01-10-2009, 12:44 PM
So tell me... once you got off the phone with them after accepting the position, how long did you dance around.. :D

Actually, I think I just collapsed onto the bed for a moment. But then I think I did go out of the motel room and play stick with my dog.

IMI
01-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Probably not the most original thing to say, but I suppose the most appropriate: congrats!

lwanmtr
01-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Cool beans on getting the job....BTW, I'm available for work :)

cresshead
01-11-2009, 12:04 AM
just had a look around on the site and they have some decent english actors on their productions,must dig out a few of their films over on amazon.co.uk

good luck..and if your ever as north as nottingham drop in for a cuppa!

Thomas M.
01-11-2009, 03:41 AM
Nice christmas present you got there ...

Cheers

Weepul
01-11-2009, 03:54 AM
Congrats, shrox. It's great to hear you got such a nice position, and it's even in the field you want to be in. :) How could it be better? (Well, maybe minus one hop halfway around the world... :D)

Uh-oh... 8~ *would be slightly terrified of moving so far away from what's familiar*

hrgiger
01-11-2009, 05:39 AM
Congrats Shrox, always good to see someone pick up the pieces. Here's to a prosperous 2009. :beerchug:

kopperdrake
01-11-2009, 06:40 PM
oh nice one! :) If you're up in the Midlands let me know, I'm sure a few of us Midlander LWers can introduce you to some special beers :D One hint, if an eating place has the word 'diner' in its title then steer clear, it'll be a poor imitation of a US style diner. Best advice, find a decent pub that serves a Sunday carvery - get a pint of Abbots inside you and thank God you're alive to savour it ;)

And if you like sweet stuff and happen to pop next door to Devon, call in the Cafe Green Ginger in Ashburton - my sister runs it and does the best and largest cream teas in the South West :P

gratz again :D

Dunk

jin choung
01-13-2009, 02:27 PM
awesome awesome awesome.

congratulations man.

jin

Intuition
01-15-2009, 12:02 PM
What? We're trading Shrox for Bog?

Hehehe, great times ahead Shrox. Good luck and times to you.

shrox
01-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Congrats Shrox, always good to see someone pick up the pieces. Here's to a prosperous 2009. :beerchug:

I am looking for all new pieces I think.

Dexter2999
01-15-2009, 02:21 PM
I am looking for all new pieces I think.

Yeah, 5 second rule, in effect.