PDA

View Full Version : New 2009 Reel

andym323
01-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Hi Folks :D

Happy New Year to all and sundry :hey:

Just finished my new reel, most of it is from the last year with a sprinkle of the last 10 years or so :thumbsup:

Thought I'd post it here and invite you all to have your say, enjoy..... (low res version at the mo, high res on the way)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/andym323/th_AndyMadgwick2009.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v244/andym323/?action=view&current=AndyMadgwick2009.flv)

Giacomo99
01-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Looks great! If it were me, I'd include fewer shots and show them for longer—I think I'd appreciate the exploded watch, for example, if I had more time to look at it.

Some of the older stuff looks pretty crude compared to your newer work. I'd either punch it up (i.e., re-model and re-render the scenes) or just leave it out.

Matt
01-09-2009, 01:46 PM
I agree, I know it was done to be in time with Prodigys 'You'll Be Under My Wheels', but, it's just a tad too fast to really see any of the work!

monovich
01-09-2009, 01:51 PM
I liked the editing. You get a good sense of your abilities in the reel, which is the overall goal and the editing is stylistic. I guess there could be many many schools of thought on this...

othornton
01-09-2009, 10:21 PM
I like the editing but only because it seems that you are looking to present your reel as an all-inclusive CG reel, and editing falls into that sphere for a lot of clients, especially corporate types that want sweet logos like the ones in your reel. I agree with Giacomo though, some of the older stuff could use some upgrading (or maybe drop some older pieces and focus more on newer pieces?).

Mitja
01-10-2009, 02:46 AM
Brilliant! Perfect rhythm, imho!
But I agree with Giacomo99 that some renders are a bit crude, especially the archviz ones, some radiosity would make it so much better.

stevecullum
01-10-2009, 05:57 AM
I quite liked some of the stuff on there, but I didn't really appreciate the choice of music. That screaming at the beginning nearly destroyed my ear drums! (My fault really for having volume up too loud. :D)

I agree with the the other folks here, drop the older stuff and extend the shots of your newer work.

andym323
01-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, most appreciated, good criticisms too :D

I agree that some of the older work is a little crude now, and yes, it was a difficult decision with regard to the pace of the piece.

I included the older works, mainly because of the variety it shows and the piece going to be on the front page of my new website and will function as a teaser with links to the content so people can see the full length versions in context so to speak.

I'm really pleased most of you liked the edit, I started out as an editor and although I've not done any in anger for a while, its nice to know I've still got it ;)

Going to give it the AE splash tonight, nothing fancy, just a sprinkle of glow transitions to pep up the cuts a bit ;)

One point on which I'd love a little advice, codecs, obviously the above vid is a tad crude, its been rendered as a .wmv to be small enough to email at 3.5Mb but I reckon maybe it could be a little larger, maybe up to 10Mb, thoughts guys??

Hopper
01-13-2009, 01:32 PM
I thought it was fairly thorough in showing your abilities keeping in mind I'm not a CG professional.

In my opinion, if you want to keep your older works in the demo reel maybe you should annotate a small stamp of what year it was produced in hopes that the prospective client can appreciate the quality and talent given the technology available at the time. I know most clients won't have a clue, but it may also illustrate your progression over the years.

stevecullum
01-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, most appreciated, good criticisms too :D

I agree that some of the older work is a little crude now, and yes, it was a difficult decision with regard to the pace of the piece.

I included the older works, mainly because of the variety it shows and the piece going to be on the front page of my new website and will function as a teaser with links to the content so people can see the full length versions in context so to speak.

I'm really pleased most of you liked the edit, I started out as an editor and although I've not done any in anger for a while, its nice to know I've still got it ;)

Going to give it the AE splash tonight, nothing fancy, just a sprinkle of glow transitions to pep up the cuts a bit ;)

One point on which I'd love a little advice, codecs, obviously the above vid is a tad crude, its been rendered as a .wmv to be small enough to email at 3.5Mb but I reckon maybe it could be a little larger, maybe up to 10Mb, thoughts guys??

Personally I would use quicktime H264 codec.

I can understand your reasons for including the older stuff, but weaker work carries the danger of pulling the good stuff down with it.

andym323
01-13-2009, 06:18 PM
Thanks for both those comments, I like the idea of tagging the clips, to be honest, I was toying with the idea of captioning them, but I think that may be too much? Maybe the year bottom left?

I agree weaker stuff can be detremental to the more recent, which bits in particular were you thinking of? :)

stevecullum
01-14-2009, 12:06 PM
The video player timer counts down on my machine so my comments reflect this. These are my opinions only and I'm not trying to tell you that its the right thing to do, but its the edits I would do.

clip at 01:10 - Sun thing - remove
clip 00:32 - laser thing - ditto
clip at 01:09 - too quick to take in
clip 00:51 should be joined with 1:09? Splitting up a shot doesn't work for me.

Re-edit so you can take in the imagery. - Try watching without the music and see how quick it feels. Remember, some potential clients don't have speaker setups and unless your making a music video, I personally think the reel should work with and without music.

The Dommo
01-14-2009, 01:28 PM
I like it, but have to say .... OOOF, commercial music track.... be very careful.

adrian
01-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Nothing I can add to the posts already made other than to say great editing to the music. I KNOW that must've taken a while! :thumbsup:

JustForFun
01-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Nice editing and flow with the sound track, but if you think some of the material is crude, you should leave it out bringing your better stuff forward with more time.

evolross
01-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Like everyone else, some of the renders are pretty basic looking. The editing is nice. To me, the song sounds like a midi instrumental of Michael Jackson's Thriller. Does anyone else hear that?

Carm3D
01-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Love the music and the editing is fun. But lose the lens flare at the beginning.. You know what they say about first impressions.

I agree with the others that you should consider removing or updating some of the older-looking stuff with the 90's render look. It seemed like most of those old ones were in the first 3rd of the video.

To me, the song sounds like a midi instrumental of Michael Jackson's Thriller. Does anyone else hear that?

Very Thrilleresque.. Which is why I liked it. :)