PDA

View Full Version : I can now edit full-raster AVCHD!

Paul Vicente
01-09-2009, 01:25 AM
OK. I have been working on this for a little while.

Lately, I have been shooting footage with a Panasonic AG-HMC150. Since aquiring the camera, I have been converting my AVCHD clips to DVCPROHD using Panasonic's Transcoder to edit with SpeedEdit. The problem with this procedure is that you lose the full resolustion of the AVCHD file, ie 1280X720P becomes 960x720P. Not cool.

I discovered a work-around towards editing full-raster 1920X1080P/i and 1280X720P AVCHD files from my Panasonic AG-HMC150 camera with SpeedEdit, without having to use the Transcoder supplied by Panasonic.

Basically, the process involves converting the files directly from their native format (AVCHD) in one step to SpeedHQ. The time required for this conversion on a Quad-Core system is better than real-time. The process maintains the full raster of the original video.

It works great. As a matter of fact, the image quality of the resulting SpeedHQ files look better, have more color/luminance bandwidth, and look (a bit) sharper when compared to using the Panasonic software which transcodes the AVCHD files to DVCPROHD. Remember, converting AVCHD files to DVCPROHD involves a loss of horizontal resolution. This procedure avoids that.

If anyone at Newtek wants to find out how I did it, please contact me for details.

In the meantime, I still have hope that SpeedEdit will edit these files natively in the future, without the need for conversion, treatment, or intermediary codecs. The AVCHD format is becoming very popular now, thanks to the hot, Panasonic AG-HMC150 camera. Newtek should accomodate this format.

Regards,
Paul Vicente

ted
01-09-2009, 07:06 AM
Paul, that's great news. What is the process you use. We have 2 HVX 200's but I've heard several requests for this in the last few months
I'm sure you would get a gold star for detailing your process. :thumbsup:

Paul Lara
01-09-2009, 10:33 AM
If anyone at Newtek wants to find out how I did it, please contact me for details.

That's very cool, Paul. If you can e-mail me your steps ([email protected]), I will happily add it to the SpeedEDIT online FAQ for everyone else.

Paul Vicente
01-10-2009, 09:31 PM
That's very cool, Paul. If you can e-mail me your steps ([email protected]), I will happily add it to the SpeedEDIT online FAQ for everyone else.

Done. I have sent it to you.

Regards,
Paul Vicente

Paul Lara
01-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks, Paul.

sgfx
01-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Paul Lara
Did you ever get a chance to tryout/add the AVCHD instruction to the FAQ that Paul Vicente sent you?

Paul Lara
01-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Not yet. I'm talking to the folks at Cineform first.
The upshot of Paul's technique was to install Cineform Neo Scene software on the SpeedEDIT computer.
Using Neo Scene to convert AVCDH to AVI was creating unuseable clips, but he then noticed that after the installation of the required AVCore codec, SpeedEDIT was then natively reading and able to edit the original, full-size AVCHD clips.

sgfx
01-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Um.. Sound promising.. It will be interesting to see it work.

With the advent of inexpensive but good quality HD cameras like the new Canon HF S10, Being able to edit AVCHD without converting first, will be something I will be looking forward to havening.

Seattle-HotShot
01-30-2009, 12:33 AM
yeah I'm looking at those Canon flash media cameras as well. Hope we get somewhere with this. if not, I did find that I can run the files from the Canon AVCHD cameras through TMPGnc XPress 4.0 and output HQ files that way, bit of work but still faster than capturing from tape :)

Randall Chesbro
03-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Its been a while, do we have an update on the conversion for avchd to SE
id like to know what i need to do what the other guy said was working for him.. thanks randyc

KiloWatkins
09-22-2009, 07:59 AM
Got a link to the document Paul V? Really cool to hear, as I've not been able to do this very well, with the less than min. spec VT I use. A 1024FSB 3.8AMD-FX is fine for switching, but crawls as an editor.

TIA