PDA

View Full Version : Importing model from Rhino 3d

Graham Nichols
08-11-2003, 10:17 AM
New to Lightwave (it's my first week with the beast), I tried to import a model saved out from Rhino 3D as a Lightwave Object. It came into Lightwave Modeler fine. However, after transferring it into Lightwave Layout all I see is a boundary box no matter what display view type I select in Layout.

I'm probably doing something really stupid. What is it please?

best, Graham

ren_at_home
08-11-2003, 11:10 AM
it might be that it gets exported with a cube as a boundary box.
if so you need to select that in modeler and delete it or delete/paste
it to another layer leaving your model geometry left 'visible' so to
speak.

hope this helps,

Ren

Matt
08-11-2003, 11:24 AM
What happens when you render it?

Are you sure it's not on 'Bounding Box' view mode? (See attached)

I would say check the 'Bounding Box Threshold' in your display options, but that only affects the display when you move something.

But try upping it to 1 million polygons anyway and see if that helps.

They're the only things I can think of, the only other possibility is to do with your GFX card (assuming you have a PC)

Matt

Graham Nichols
08-11-2003, 12:11 PM
Hi Matt,

I updated the Bounding Box Threshold without success.

Opening the Rhino created .lwo file in either modeller or layout gives the same result. The graphic below shows the situation.

Mylenium
08-11-2003, 01:35 PM
Did you save your model again from Modeler? Rhino only spits out LWO 5.6 which will in certain cases cause problems in Layout. Save your mesh again and everything should be ok. Also try to merge points, unify polys etc.

Mylenium

Graham Nichols
08-11-2003, 02:34 PM
Yes, I did re-save the model from Modeller. This did not help in my case. However, reducing the points and polygons by merging etc. DID help and now I can see the model in Layout. Yipee!!!

Many thanks to all who contributed.

regards, Graham