PDA

View Full Version : Having a tough time with this EPS file and LW 9

cscardinal
01-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Trying to do my usual 3D extrusion of a logo. I've resorted to taking each individual element and stenciling it onto a master poly. No luck. Beachball of doom. I cleaned it up as best I could in Illustrator before exporting a version 8 EPS.

I'm running 9.3 on a recent issue Intel machine.

Any ideas? :help:

Thanks

Chris

eblu
01-08-2009, 01:10 PM
hey, uh... cscardinal?
I downloaded your eps zip file to take a look, but it doesn't uncompress.
it turns into a .cpgz file, which then decompresses into a zip file (its like looking into two facing mirrors)
so I uhh... don't have any ideas.

cscardinal
01-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Wanna try again? It unzips on this end fine.

Very odd!

Thanks

Chris

Dexter2999
01-08-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm not the most experienced guy around here, but if it were me, I'd delete most of those layers.
I opened the file and there are like 20 layers for the shadow of a letter.
Try just keeping the outlines for your EPS.
Extrude the shape.
Go back to your Illustrator file and export a TGA32 or PNG file and map it to the outline.
If you are extruding each letter, great keep the initial text shape. You can even keep the gradient fill layer for each shape. But there are a tremendous number of excess layers in that file.
Do you need the Illustrator shadows? Or are you going to let the 3D make it's own?
Similarly with the FORD logo itself.

That logo is fine for a print ad. or even as an EPS overlay in a compositing app. But for converting to 3D there just seems to be too much extraneous information.

Hope this helps.

cscardinal
01-08-2009, 03:34 PM
I uploaded the wrong file.

DOH!

I had trimmed away a LOT of those layers to make it more manageable.

Let's see how this one works. I did upgrade to the new beta version (9.6) and it does get further, but it still bombs out.

Thanks!

Chris

Dexter2999
01-08-2009, 03:55 PM
this mac doesnt like that last one.

pdrake
01-08-2009, 04:43 PM
didn't work here either.

Chilton
01-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Hi,

The first and third files were not recognizable as EPS files by OS X. Are you sure they were, and are you sure you zipped them?

Thanks!
-Chilton

Fadlabi
01-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Hi, Try this.

kfinla
01-09-2009, 12:32 PM
back in the day I think you had to give LW modeler a Illustartor 8 file type.. im hoping that is no longer the case and it has been updated to accept more current versions.

Giacomo99
01-09-2009, 01:22 PM
FYI, I can't open the 5:34 file.

I looked at the 3:01 file and, as Dexter notes, Lightwave's EPS importer isn't robust enough to handle the gradient fills and other assorted effects in that file. The fact is that *no* 3D program I know of is capable of reading such a complex file--and there's no reason for one to be able to. You need to be isolating the elements you need and saving them as individual paths—without knowing what your end product is supposed to be, I can offer any more specific advice.

Matt
01-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Turning off 'Auto-Axis Drill' brings it in fine. There's a lot of overlapping paths in the logo that cause the import to fail.

Try cleaning it up, or cut the holes yourself once in Modeler.

Matt
01-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Lightwave's EPS importer isn't robust enough to handle the gradient fills and other assorted effects in that file.

Any fills are ignored by the LW importer, it just goes straight for the paths.

RollerJesus
01-09-2009, 01:27 PM
I sill use Illustrator 3 EPS, it's the only one that reliably works for me. Although, I haven't tried it since 9.3.1 on PC.

Matt
01-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Here are the LWO files (different import curve division levels)