PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS on a PC

Johnny
01-08-2009, 08:53 AM
I've been hearing more comments about people installing Mac OS onto PCs, and wondering if anyone here has any experience with such a machine, and if so, is it an option to consider for a Mac LW user?

I have no idea whether the "hackintosh" is even legal. we've all read recent stories of Apple squashing small manufacturers of their own computers with Mac OS installed, so maybe that right there is the clue?

My question is from the direction of getting a more powerful piece of hardware at a lower cost, and not about how to skirt apple's EULA.

thanks.

J

3dworks
01-08-2009, 09:06 AM
have a look at this http://www.efi-x.com/ - i did not test this personally, but it seems to work, it even has been tested successfully by a big german mac magazine (macwelt)...

of course it will work only with a range of logicboards/ chips and as always with hacks, some OSX operation limitations occur. the test result was more or less: the efix mac fake PC was a bit less expensive than the corresponding original apple hardware, but also less flexible and compatible when coming down to the dual boot options.

CaptainMarlowe
01-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Hackintosh is a violation of the OS X license. You are not allowed to install OS X somewhere else than a mac...

Lightwolf
01-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Hackintosh is a violation of the OS X license. You are not allowed to install OS X somewhere else than a mac...
That depends on local laws. If the license is not displayed before the purchase it's moot (since the purchase is when you enter a legal contract and you must have all necessary information at that point). At least in Europe.
Also, you're not entering a contract with Apple but the vendor of OSX, which could just be a store.
However, circumventing any copy protection is likely to be illegal in most places nowadays.

Cheers,
Mike

Johnny
01-08-2009, 06:08 PM

OK then...that cinches it up.

thank you.

J

CaptainMarlowe
01-08-2009, 10:45 PM
You're welcome. I asked myself the same question when I thought it would be fun to put Tiger on my eee-pc...but finally sticked to Xandros...

Crom
12-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Yes I'm running the Mac and PC in the same box. Id do this with a retail purchase of OSX leopart 10.5.7. The efix bios adapter simply takes drivers and wraps them onto a DRM protected flash device.

There is a software option from PYSTAR that allows you to do the same for $5o Piece of software.

OlaHaldor
12-05-2009, 12:00 PM
You should be VERY careful about the selection of hardware in order to get the most out of this deal. I for my part, will not run Mac OS on a self built PC. It's not the way Apple intended it to be, and you can kiss "support" good bye when you do this. Imagine calling Apple for support on something, and they ask you what Mac(hine) you have.. :)

Anyway I'd rather go the other way around. Buy a Mac, and install Windows on it. I have Windows 7 on my Mac Pro at work, so I can convert some IGES and STEP files from clients, for further use in LW3D on the Mac partition.

Crom
12-05-2009, 12:29 PM
I hear ya. But I have been a loyal and still am a loyal apple customer since 1996. I purchased a Macbook pro (late 2008) and it crashes while running Bootcamp vista, xp and key features like the Expresscard slot are not fullysupported on the PC side. Applestore was of no help since although they list boocamp as a unique selling point they do not offer tech supportfor windows...

So what's worse... buying premium high cosSt apple hardware with no windows tech support... or buying commodity PC hardaware (the very same hardware used in high end macs) and installing Mac on that. I'v stuck to the hardware compatibility list and had zero problems.

I'm quite happy and it has been the best of both worlds.
For the cost I can't complain at all.

toby
12-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Applestore was of no help since although they list boocamp as a unique selling point they do not offer tech support for windows...
Why wouldn't you get that from MS?

Crom
12-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Called Ms and they sent me to apple since they thought the apple drivers were suspect.

Apple stated they don't support Vista or XP issues...

So I was left to searching forums for answers on the expressard issues and lockups.

Found out that the expresscard slot won;t work with ESATA cards of any type. Had to install Riva tuner to prevent the thing from locking up due to a graphics card driver issue, and disabled the trackpad as that caused a confilct with flash (go figure) causing the machine to lockup and go to BSD.

After that experience I figure I'd give Efix a try. I ru this 24/7 and all is good.
The apple Mac Laptop and VIsta comba is great. As long as I run the RIVA untility and make sure I dont go on the web I'm golden.