PDA

View Full Version : FBX Export of IK Booster animations madness

holimolibill
01-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Our animator's been using IK Booster in combination with Lightwave 9.5b to put together some simple test animations, and it all seems to work great in Lightwave, but once an animation is exported as FBX and imported into another package things fall apart.

If there's only one IKB key frame, the animation executes fine. If there is more than one, things fall apart after the fist key frame. For example, If the FBX is imported into Unity 3D, the bone transforms scale to (nan,nan,nan) and the associated parts of the model essentially disappear after the first key frame. If imported into say Cinema 4d or Cheetah, the bones get mangled in other ways at the same point. Strangely, if that Same FBX file is imported back into Lightwave it behaves properly. This is also true if exported from LW9.2

Has anyone run into this or have any suggestions for exporting baked IK stuff from Lightwave that Unity in particular can properly digest?

particledecay
01-12-2009, 06:26 AM
I haven't tried IK Boost with FBX export but I have made a few character rigs for use with Unity. A few things I would suggest to explore first:

1. Bake your keyframes and disable IK and plugins / motion modifiers before export;
2. Make sure you have not used RPR (record rest positions) on any bones (try using this script (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88271) to recover your animations if you have used RPR).

Cageman
01-12-2009, 08:45 AM
There is a plugin over at Dstorm that bakes IK and removes it from ALL bones. I'm not sure if it works with IKBoster though. But as far as I understand, IKBooster has its own baking tool.