PDA

View Full Version : Create LED lights ?

Peter Ekberg
01-08-2009, 12:51 AM
Does anyone have a good receipt for creating a fearley realistic LED light.

/Peter

Red_Oddity
01-08-2009, 09:48 AM
How close on the light (as in internal details) or just a large bunch of LEDs viewed from a distance?
Because just creating a bunch of polygons or low poly spheres with a high luminance value (as in above a value of 1.0 and saving your render as (half)float) and doing a blur in post always works for us.

RollerJesus
01-08-2009, 10:00 AM
These came out pretty good...

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=751401&postcount=63

Andyjaggy
01-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Well we are going to need a bit more information then that. Do you just mean you need to see some blinking lights on something? If so I would recomend creating them in something like after FX and then mapping the texture to your object. Much easier the enveloping and animating a bunch of lights in lightwave. But it depends what you are needing.

Soth
01-08-2009, 10:47 AM
How does it look like?
http://soth3d.com/cv/potykaczAziel.png

JeffrySG
01-08-2009, 01:17 PM
That looks nice!

A few things to think about:

I don't think you typically see specular highlight on an LED bulb when it's on. This render would also benefit from Raydiosity because it would be nice to see the LEDs that are on illuminating the plastic bottle a little.

It also looks like you might be getting some poly errors. Some of the shading looks a little off on some area (some harsh lines, etc)

Soth
01-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks for comment. I just dug out one of mine old renders. I used to do million POS designs in one weekend as freelancer (when I was doing full time job) so designs were not so perfect - just to visualize ideas. ;)

JeffrySG
01-08-2009, 02:55 PM
ok, I got 'cha! looks good then! :)

Peter Ekberg
01-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Hi all

I will try to explain my problem more detailed :)

Im trying at the moment to replicate the light from a 1W Power LED

As you can se on attached images Im not there yet I have some problems to fine-tune Intensity, cone angle.

Real reference

My model

My rend at the moment i cant get the light closer to the object as I want

all tips are welcome

Thanks
/peter

JeffrySG
01-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Hi all

I will try to explain my problem more detailed :)

Im trying at the moment to replicate the light from a 1W Power LED

As you can se on attached images Im not there yet I have some problems to fine-tune Intensity, cone angle.

Real reference

My model

My rend at the moment i cant get the light closer to the object as I want

all tips are welcome

Thanks
/peter
Can you post some screen grabs of your scene? It looks like your light needs to be closer to your model of the LED.

Lewis
01-09-2009, 05:42 PM
If you want that effect then use IES file for your LED an you'll get proper distribution of light (any manufacturer like Philips, Schreder, iGuzzini.). Take in mind that there is also various LED light sources and it vary for cone angle so IEs files are different, I.E. Philips has Narrow (6), medium(30) and Wide (60) beam all differ in spread angle due it's lenses design. On same time iGuzzini has 9 also so you really need to checkout what is your LED to be exactly same in render :) :).

Peter Ekberg
01-10-2009, 12:57 PM
If you want that effect then use IES file for your LED an you'll get proper distribution of light (any manufacturer like Philips, Schreder, iGuzzini.). Take in mind that there is also various LED light sources and it vary for cone angle so IEs files are different, I.E. Philips has Narrow (6), medium(30) and Wide (60) beam all differ in spread angle due it's lenses design. On same time iGuzzini has 9 also so you really need to checkout what is your LED to be exactly same in render :) :).

What is IES ?

Lewis
01-10-2009, 01:09 PM
IES is standard for real world lights - Photometric Light in LW.

here is something for you to read for easier understanding IES :)
http://www.animationxpress.com/anex/y2k6/headlines/anex768.htm

Peter Ekberg
01-12-2009, 02:02 AM
Hi Lewis

I was fooling around IES and Photometric.
Photometric is relay nice :) but I of-curse run Mac 9.3 at work and it does not have photometric light yet but soon, maybe I should register for beta is it 9.6 now ?
Is it fairly stable ?

Another thing is that i cant find any IES on the light-source alone it seems to be connected to the lighting fitting.

Lewis
01-12-2009, 02:23 AM
Yeah 9.6 works great so you should register for Beta if you aren't already :).

As for IES files there is TONS of them online for free. I'm having base with more than 110 000 of them on my HDD :D.

As for fitting yes those are IES for Lamps/Lights not just Bulbs so you'll need to try to make lamp what resembles to some IES files :) :).

Peter Ekberg
01-12-2009, 06:28 AM
Can someone please tell me were they have manage to hide Convert Luxigon in the latest Beta 9.6 for OSX

Skip the question I found it, it was moved into Plugins/Additional :)

Peter Ekberg
01-12-2009, 07:30 AM
but now i cant size the lights in LW 9.6 ?!
should it not be same parent the light to a Null and change the size ?

Lewis
01-12-2009, 09:50 AM
You can resize Area Lights, Linear lights, spherical lights - other wouldn't have any usage to resize them 'coz distant light is still distant light no mater to it's size. Resizing IES/Photometric would be counter productive (although you can scale it if you want) because IES is real world light and if you resize it it's not what it should be (real world measured light source) anymore :).

Peter Ekberg
01-13-2009, 04:44 AM
In this case i would like to resize spot light as I did in 9.3

/Peter

Lewis
01-13-2009, 05:16 AM
Use Spherical light, in that case, Spot light shouldn't be resizable anyway since it doesn't have soft shadow like Area/Linear to be able to achieve different results after resizing.