PDA

View Full Version : NOAA says we're cooling...Try it yourself...

sbrandt
01-07-2009, 10:42 AM
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/research/cag3/na.html

The Sun has gone quiet. In fact we're about two years past the Solar Minimum when Sun spot activity should have begun to resume.
If you go back ten years you can see the cooling trend has started... at this rate I'd say we should be well on our way to a full blown ice age in about 50 years.
...The inventor of the internet will have to give back his really really spiffy Nobel trophy. Hahahaha...

Operating manual:
Leave the “Data Type” field at “Mean Temperature”
Select “Annual” from the “Period” field pull down
Select “1998″ as “First Year To Display”.

Then click the blue “Submit” oval at the below the data entry form.

http://www.konzeptwerks.com/noactivity.jpg

http://www.konzeptwerks.com/icednutz.jpg

cagey5
01-07-2009, 11:30 AM
And yet, if you put in 1924 as the start year then we're getting warmer.

shrox
01-07-2009, 11:58 AM
I think the point here is activity of the sun (Sol). But since we only have 150 years or so of good accredited observations, there could be very long cycles we have no idea about.

sbrandt
01-07-2009, 12:33 PM
I just think it's intersting that...

1). Ice Ages take a loooong time to go away, but perhaps a matter of decades to start.

2). The most recent decade long sun spot cycle (11.1 years) is about two years overdue for the start of the upswing.

3.) The NOAA generated trend for the last 10 years is cooler.

http://www.konzeptwerks.com/rodserling.jpg

4.) Ladies and Gentlemen, observe if you will...

...the saber toothed squirrel in the film is made out to be a fanatic.

But all he's trying to do is pack his pantry with acorns.

...large acorns

...freakishly large acorns

...acorns SO large, they can only be found in........

IMI
01-07-2009, 12:38 PM
I'm all for global cooling. I'm still not sure why I continue to live in Florida, because I hate it 6 months out of the year.
I say, bring it on. :D

safetyman
01-08-2009, 06:02 AM
I wish these scientists would make up their minds. Apparently, we are causing our planets' climate to get warmer, but the sun will make everything cooler, so the two cancel each other out or what?? I have an idea -- why don't we get weather folks to accurately predict what happens 5 days from now, that way I know how to plan my wardrobe for the week.

DiedonD
01-08-2009, 07:15 AM
I'm all for global cooling. I'm still not sure why I continue to live in Florida, because I hate it 6 months out of the year.
I say, bring it on. :D

Lucky you :)

Im just about getting over my Winter depression. I so hate dealing with such cold climates that happen here. Im a hot person ;) . What I meant is, I tolerate the heat better than the cold. Cold just cools me down to depression. But, Ill beat the heck of these circumstances.

Global warming... Id say that after scientists clashed there isnt a certain outcome even from them. Guess we will await to see sadly!

Some also say that we, again, are overevaluating our impact! What if its only natural that Ice ages come and go, and its not our gasses at all?!

Like they say in the Day That Stood Still Movie, or Armagedon movie, threats will destroy the world. My friends, it wont destroy the world, it wont even scratch its surface maybe, but we will parrish not the world!

As if saying we are the world! We are overevaluating ourselves in that sense!

What if Global Warming has nothing to do with us?

IMI
01-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Im just about getting over my Winter depression. I so hate dealing with such cold climates that happen here. Im a hot person ;) . What I meant is, I tolerate the heat better than the cold. Cold just cools me down to depression. But, Ill beat the heck of these circumstances.

Cold doesn't bother me at all, in spite of having lived for 23 years in this mosquito and swamp-infested hurricane magnet of a state. I'm from up north, where we had snow and actual seasons. Here, we have two seasons - Summer and something else not quite Summer, not quite Winter, and sort of like a Fall and Spring combined. In the non- Summer time, everything else just overlaps and one day it will be around 85 F, while the next day maybe only gets up to 50 F. At night it goes down to anywhere between 40-75 F - one day you have the heat on, the next day the AC. It's annoying. ;)
And of course, Summertime just ranges from almost tolerable hot to unbearable hot, night and day. I never have understood how the people who live even farther south live with it, because I hate it. I want to move back up north, but my wife isn't going for that idea. I almost had her convinced to move, but she changed our mind. ;)

Nangleator
01-08-2009, 08:53 AM
"Global Warming" is a misnomer. The term scientists use is Global Climate Change. People decide for themselves whether human industry has caused it. And they largely use their political affiliation to make the decision. There's evidence out there, but you know... thinking is hard.

Global Climate Change is bad news, but doesn't hold a candle to changes our star might decide to make. No point in worrying about it, though.

biliousfrog
01-08-2009, 09:33 AM
In true internet fashion most people read the heading of an article and fill in the rest of the story with various other headings and highlighted text from other articles. I won't bother explaining it here, if people are genuinely interested they'll already know where to look...but...

Climate change is inevitable and is a natural occurance, the issue is to do with the 'tipping point'...that's where the vast majority of scientists agree that we are having a huge negative impact. The earth warms, the earth cools...we are supposed to be heading for a cooler period but, because of greehouse gasses and pollutants in the atmosphere, it is a concern that the earth will be unable to cool.

So although scientists can't agree on whether 'global warming' is affected by man, most agree that if we don't stop polluting the atmosphere at the same rate that we currently do we will cause irreversable damage and prevent the natural cooling cycle.

The ironic thing is that one of the causes of global warming is pollutants in the atmosphere preventing heat from dissipating but, because of the damage to the ozone layer, they also prevent the sun's rays from entering the earth's atmosphere. This was only discovered after 9/11 when the skys over NY had been cleared of aircraft and the jet trails had dissipated.

sbrandt
01-08-2009, 02:50 PM
http://www.konzeptwerks.com/botcoca.jpg
If I were the supreme thread Sheriff, I'd just
end it with this articile by Miranda Devine.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/environment/beware-climate-alarmists/2008/11/26/1227491635989.html

I think I like Miranda. She's a real smart girl.

ted
01-08-2009, 08:45 PM
I have an idea -- why don't we get weather folks to accurately predict what happens 5 days from now, that way I know how to plan my wardrobe for the week.

No kidding. Our weather "experts" here can't predict rain 15 hours away! :thumbsdow

All and all, I think we should work on avoiding polution when possible.
But the universe will give us cooling and warming well beyond what the sky is falling fanatics predict.

Tonttu
01-09-2009, 12:26 AM
There should be a strong ethic to protect nature from pollution even if the negative effects aren't seen right away. Climate change hysteria is not a strong enough foundation. It is just a panic reaction, not an integrated understanding of what it means to work in harmony with nature. The natural way is the way of least resistance, total recycling of energy etc.. we have been brute forcing with combustion technology and other idiotic methods for too long.

Nangleator
01-09-2009, 09:12 AM
"sky is falling fanatics"
"Climate change hysteria"

Based on what you've said, I guess those scientists are actually insane to have an opinion based on evidence they've collected. Thanks for clarifying. It's so funny to see them scampering around in a panic and refining data for years and posting articles in peer-reviewed journals. Silly fools!

So, it's impossible for humanity to have an impact on the climate and atmosphere, right? So a much smaller creature, without coal burning technology, or any machines at all would be entirely incapable of changing a world, right? Say, plankton...

Andyjaggy
01-09-2009, 09:21 AM
There should be a strong ethic to protect nature from pollution even if the negative effects aren't seen right away. Climate change hysteria is not a strong enough foundation. It is just a panic reaction, not an integrated understanding of what it means to work in harmony with nature. The natural way is the way of least resistance, total recycling of energy etc.. we have been brute forcing with combustion technology and other idiotic methods for too long.

Agreed. Even if climate change is complete bogus, which I tend to think it is sometimes, we should still do all in our power to protect the environment. There are more negative consequences to pollution then just global warming.

sbrandt
01-09-2009, 09:32 AM
"...we have been brute forcing with combustion technology..."

Combustion technology is just fire technology.
We're hardly even out of the cave yet!

When I Can Fly To Frankfurt In Something
That's Not An Aluminum Tube With
Giant Kerosene Stoves Strapped To It,
I'll Consider That Progress.
http://www.konzeptwerks.com/oog.jpg
You don't start an airplane... you LIGHT IT.

4dartist
01-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Combustion technology is just fire technology.
We're hardly even out of the cave yet!

Hum, I'd say going to the moon would be considered leaving the cave. Considering some folks weren't even on this planet. :) Of course we haven't been to the moon in forever so...

sbrandt
01-09-2009, 10:16 AM
When we went to the moon, did you happen to notice the vehicle had to be LIT first!

4dartist
01-09-2009, 11:36 AM
I don't even know what that means lol. Nobody lit any of the astronauts why they stood there on the moon in space suits surviving in no atmosphere breathing air they brought with them. :) But your right, I can see now that rocket science is nothing more than a camp fire for cavemen hehe.
:tongue:

P.S. No fire in plug-in hybrids!

Andyjaggy
01-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Me picturing a guy standing below the rocket with a giant 10 foot match. :)

Nangleator
01-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Oh, moon hoaxer? Big conspiracy or small? If you believe the big conspiracy theory, then you also believe the Soviet Union was in on the scam, too, and helped the U.S. beat them in the space race. Nice.

If you think the small conspiracy makes more sense, then consider that tens of thousands of engineers and scientists (who weren't in on the conspiracy) built an actual lunar lander that would really work, and sent it to the moon where it landed and came back... while 3 guys who could have sat in it for the ride bounced around on a movie set instead.

*Pete*
01-09-2009, 12:05 PM
i dont believe any of you really exist...you are all a goverment conspiracy to create an illusion so that i can feel myself inteligent.

mattclary
01-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Oh, moon hoaxer? Big conspiracy or small? If you believe the big conspiracy theory, then you also believe the Soviet Union was in on the scam, too, and helped the U.S. beat them in the space race. Nice.

If you think the small conspiracy makes more sense, then consider that tens of thousands of engineers and scientists (who weren't in on the conspiracy) built an actual lunar lander that would really work, and sent it to the moon where it landed and came back... while 3 guys who could have sat in it for the ride bounced around on a movie set instead.

Pretty sure he was joking.

4dartist
01-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Haha, now that you figured it out we are sending the ninjas after you!

Also.. Global Cooling = More snow skiing? = bonus

Nangleator
01-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Pretty sure he was joking.
Yeah, I think so. I guess I'm cranky today.

And that crackpot theory is so easy to puncture, I couldn't resist.

sbrandt
01-09-2009, 02:57 PM
"...so easy to puncture..."

Oh yeah!

Then how come nasa went to all the trouble to EVEN place the bottoms of the landing crafts actually ON the moon (the Hubble can see them) just to round out the overall effect. The fake landing was PERFECT right down to the phony mirror that we can bounce lasers off to measure and time things.....!!!

Oh..........wait a minute...............*

Uh............never mind.

Nangleator
01-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Hah! Who do you think controls the Hubble? There's nothing man-made on the moon!

As for laser beams returning light... um... Who do you think builds all the laser light detectors in the world!

IMI
01-09-2009, 04:08 PM
i dont believe any of you really exist...you are all a goverment conspiracy to create an illusion so that i can feel myself inteligent.

I've always figured you were just a smart, though bad-spelling, forum bot, Pete - if that IS your real name. ;)