PDA

View Full Version : UB 64-Bit?

Slick Systems
01-07-2009, 08:18 AM
I just happened to be reading some articles about windows users and their 64-Bit 3D workflows and I thought hmm where's the Mac 64-Bit option?

Anyone heard anything about it?

I'm assuming NT are still plugging away at it but since I hadn't heard anything new I thought I'd post and see if anyone has any news.

Kind Regards
L.D.

4dartist
01-07-2009, 08:41 AM
It's defiantly not out right now, and probably won't be for some time. If I had to guess, i'd say there won't be a 64-bit UB for any of the 9.x cycle. (just my educated guess)

We also wait patiently for 64bit UB so we can render some of the large scenes we have with less RAM problems. People will no doubt explain it better than me, but the problem I think lies in the fact Apple made 64 bit apps have to be written in cocoa, but lightwave was written in carbon. Obviously way before cocoa came out. (I think that's how it goes, good chance I have no idea what I'm talking about)

:)

Welcome to the list of people in the 64bitUB line!

Otterman
01-07-2009, 09:01 AM
[QUOTE=4dartist;Welcome to the list of people in the 64bitUB line![/QUOTE]

Id whore my own sister out in order to be top of that list!

Lightwolf
01-07-2009, 09:27 AM
I'm worried now, if you'd rather do that than get a 64-bit windows box :D

Cheers,
Mike

Otterman
01-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Ha well mike im a die hard macboy and my sis aint that pretty hehe

Lightwolf
01-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Ha well mike im a die hard macboy and my sis aint that pretty hehe
Great, that means you can't have either at the moment ;)
No 64-bit version and no paying customers :D

Cheers,
Mike

JeffrySG
01-07-2009, 01:34 PM

I'm just hoping that she's not behind you reading over your shoulder! lol

lwanmtr
01-07-2009, 03:13 PM
I'm just hoping that she's not behind you reading over your shoulder! lol

Well, if we dont see anymore posts from him, then we'll know,eh? LOL

Lightwolf
01-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Well, if we dont see anymore posts from him, then we'll know,eh? LOL
Yup, he'll probably end up with a wrecked Mac and a sister that is royally pissed of for the next 2 decades :D

Cheers,
Mike

archiea
01-08-2009, 12:13 AM
FYI, adobe's CS4 is also not 64 bit for apple, if I recall correctly, while 64 bit for vista. supposedly Snow leopard's eminent release was partly to blame. You know how apple likes to rearrange the furniture in the OS with each new release...

BTW, I like the new gray look to the forum

Slick Systems
01-08-2009, 02:47 AM
Thanks for the responses guys,

It's a shame that the UB 64-Bit is so far away and I didn't know that about Pshop, we alway get stiffed when it comes to new things. I'm looking forward to the 64-Bit version so that I don't have as many RAM issues too. Although I really do need to get myself some more RAM in the interim period currently I'm on 8GB and could do with probably double that. This 8core 3.2Ghz Macpro really steams through stuff compared to my last machine and allows the possibility horizon to widen but if there is not enough RAM it's just a waste.

Hopefully NT have some more news for us soon regarding the 64-Bit UB version.

We can only hope!! :-)

Oh and about your sister - as someone in/famous once said - I'll buy that for a dollar!! :-)

Regards
L.D.

lwanmtr
01-08-2009, 03:15 AM
I know C4d is 64bit on Mac..but so far, no other 3d apps are.

I thought that UB LW was being done on Cocoa now? I could be mistaken, though.

3dworks
01-08-2009, 03:16 AM
you can also try to use the forum search function with 'UB64' to get some more information about this topic... ;) lots of informative threads about this already.

3dworks
01-08-2009, 03:17 AM
I know C4d is 64bit on Mac..but so far, no other 3d apps are.

I thought that UB LW was being done on Cocoa now? I could be mistaken, though.

there is also houdini, for now...

Slick Systems
01-08-2009, 03:19 AM
Thanks again guys, will have a look for other threads about this but I think my questions have been answered already.

Anyway it's looking like I'll just have to join the back of the queue.

Regards
L.D.

lwanmtr
01-08-2009, 03:23 AM
Huh..I thought Houdini was still 32bit on Mac..ahh well...hehe

Otterman
01-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Bad news guys...my sister is not willing to contribute to the UB64 cause..! I wonder how chilton feels about a fella in drag sporting a heck of a black eye! hehe.

All serious aside, ive been griping on about UB64 for the mac for ages now....theres been some juicy titbits revealed be Chilton from time to time but other than that....nada! Starting up threads like this is good. I think its good to slap newtek around the face from time to time and let em know whos *****!

lwanmtr
01-08-2009, 03:02 PM
LOL....a brit in drag..there's something new..hehe.

Yeah, They've dropped hints...and yeah every now and then its good to drop a thread like this in, just to irritate them a little...I know they sit around the office and throw things at pictures which represent everyone who has started thses UB64 threads screaming...hehe.

But I do think it's time for them to let us know if we are going to see 9.6 ub64..I hope that we do, because if we have to wait for 10, it could be a couple years before we see it...and I want it now :)

I think the new team has done wonders, really, though. I mean at least we mac users fnally have a stable LW to work with...now if only they could bring the trs-80 version up to speed..hehe.