PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Spaceship actually Constructed !

Riff_Masteroff
01-06-2009, 03:24 PM
http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=135980

The URL above may take a little while to load. Be sure to scroll down to the actual construction photos. Oh my, this is incredible. Stuttgart, Germany I think. Maybe LightWolf will know something about this project.

I only have two questions:
A) How was the model geometry used in real world construction?
B) What are the skin materials?

I should have a clue and maybe I do: Breakup the model geometry into jigsaw puzzle constructable pieces. MSend the mesh(s) to a real world manufacturer who has a very large 3d milling machine (they exist and maybe common). Make negative forms from the mesh pieces. Spray a substance such as GFRG (glass fiber reinforced gypsum) onto the forms. Ship skin pieces to exhibit hall and assemble on structural armature.

At any rate, wow, I am impressed
btw: 3 1/2 months start to finish

Lightwolf
01-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Hm, you know what, this is the first time I ever heard of it. It's just outside of town, about 20 minutes by car or so.

I didn't seen any more information on the construction though.

Cheers,
Mike

Matt
01-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Wow, that's awesome!

Hopper
01-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Wow that thing is pretty damn big. Small building actually.

Bog
01-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Oh I *LOVE* that. No, I adore it. Gorgeous!

JeffrySG
01-06-2009, 06:15 PM
pretty friggin' cool!

hrgiger
01-06-2009, 06:34 PM
They should build more of these and set them up on Area 51 or some other remote air base and let the Chinese and Russians ponder over it.

ted
01-06-2009, 07:34 PM
They should build more of these and set them up on Area 51 or some other remote air base and let the Chinese and Russians ponder over it.

That would be genius. Then let them spend their entire military budget trying to surpass what we have. All the while we could save our military budget and enjoy the laugh! :)

I want one of those just to mess with my neighbors. ;)

Hopper
01-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Then we're going to need to put rims on it of course... And it better have some wicked neon and a bangin' sound system. Pimp My Ship bitches!

DiedonD
01-07-2009, 01:35 AM
Thats an achievement! No more bounded to the screen! Alas you can now touch it! Real deal always surpasses even the Grand beutiful super extra image!

Creation all the way through, towards the dream of all models final destination...

Matt
01-07-2009, 02:47 AM
I only have two questions:
A) How was the model geometry used in real world construction?
B) What are the skin materials?

A) It looks like it was re-modelled in a CAD app (possibly Alias by the looks of it)

B) Looks like they've used a fiberglass / wood construction

pauland
01-07-2009, 03:19 AM
Really impressive - you've done something most people can only dream of.

biliousfrog
01-07-2009, 03:19 AM
I'm only gutted that it isn't a 'ride'...I was hoping that it was something similar to the Star Wars ride at Disney rather than a big play den for kids. How exciting would that be though?

The character sketches were great too.

colkai
01-07-2009, 03:21 AM
Dang, that is sooo purty :)

Bill Carey
01-07-2009, 03:34 AM
My company does similar construction, except when we we put the foam models on the finished item you drive it away, so the construction is very feasible. Very impressive due to the scale regardless. Very cool!!

lwanmtr
01-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Cool stuff...but where's the interior? LOL
Its one of the reasons i wanna get a rapid prototyper..then I could print my models..ok..not that scale..but...

*Pete*
01-07-2009, 04:09 PM
That would be genius. Then let them spend their entire military budget trying to surpass what we have. All the while we could save our military budget and enjoy the laugh! :)

i bet we all would stop laughing when the Chinese would actually succeed with it, a crappy copy as they think, while in reality superior to everything else.

Hopper
01-11-2009, 08:02 PM
i bet we all would stop laughing when the Chinese would actually succeed with it, a crappy copy as they think, while in reality superior to everything else.
Yes, but the only problem is ... it would probably fit in the palm of your hand. And the instructions would be horrible.

Cageman
01-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Really cool!

I wish I was a kid again... playing in that spaceship must be really fun... :D