PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge #20 - The Medical Field

Iain
01-06-2009, 02:10 AM
Speed Modelling Challenge #20 - The Medical Field
Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Subject - The Medical Field
Anything medicine or medicinal science related.
A nice, broad subject from Dreamer

Time Limit - 60 minutes

Deadline - Wednesday 14 January 2200 GMT.

colkai
01-06-2009, 02:49 AM
Does that include Brandy? (purely for medicinal purposes of course) :D :D

IMI
01-06-2009, 06:35 AM
Does that include Brandy? (purely for medicinal purposes of course) :D :D

Sure, why not? Might need it while being bled by leeches. :D

JCG
01-06-2009, 10:42 PM
The most important part of any doctor's visit!

Hopper
01-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Ok .. that's the early winner right there. Brilliant thinking. I just wish I could have thought of that first. Nice translucency too - spot on.

:thumbsup:

flakester
01-07-2009, 02:52 AM
Awesome lollipop! :thumbsup:

Can't help thinking that this challenge is gonna get some hideously wonderful entries. Or at least, I hope so!

flakester.

Nangleator
01-07-2009, 09:02 AM
Hmm. I learned LW by doing medical products. Worked for about a decade at it. I should be able to come up with something...

satheesh
01-07-2009, 01:29 PM
My first submission for the challenge. render straigh out of LW, cropped in PS.

Modelling - 40 minutes; texturing and setup - about 15 minutes.

C&C please

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67942&stc=1&d=1231360075

-Satheesh

Nangleator
01-07-2009, 01:43 PM
The modeling challenge time limit is 60 minutes for modeling alone. You can take all the time you want for surfacing/rendering.

Good job!

flakester
01-08-2009, 03:37 AM
My first entry for this one -

Three minutes shy of the full hour for modelling..... due to having to re-do a few elements! About fifty mins for the layout / materials / render part.

I made a start on it yesterday, before Satheesh posted the very same thing!! Good job btw.

Object attached too.

Oedo 808
01-10-2009, 08:56 AM
I love the off-the-wall entries like JCG's that you get in these challenges. A nice render JCG, and a nice clean model. ;)

It's funny both satheesh and flakester choosing the same item to model, I was thinking of trying something for this one but I've really drawn a blank, even after you guys posted your models I thought "I know, I'll try a steth... oh crap."

That's a good entry satheesh, for any pointers I'd simply say take a look at the model flakester has generously provided. It's a good entry flakester, but only the first? I think I'll struggle to do one.

Oh and satheesh, don't forget to include an image of your wireframe view or rendered wires also. I'm sure you'll be challenging for the win in no time, and I'd hate to see you lose on a technicality. :)

colkai
01-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Took about 20 mins to model this, decided to go with the red because the one I used to use looked like this. :p

Nangleator
01-10-2009, 11:16 AM
I got a busy weekend ahead of me, but I hope I can enter a couple more times.

Here's a urological biopsy forceps. Got a polyp in your bladder? Let this take a nip out of it so the lab people can test it out.

This is based on a real device, but has some changes. (Don't let it scare you. It's only a millimeter in diameter.)

http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/Med1A.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/Med1B.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/MedA3.jpg

Nangleator
01-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Oh, 30 minutes modeling. Sounds quick, but I had done this back in '96 or '97, so I remembered the basics.

Iain
01-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Great stuff Nangleator. :thumbsup:

Great work all round guys!

flakester
01-10-2009, 04:31 PM
~~ (Don't let it scare you. It's only a millimeter in diameter.)

Nothing you could say about its diminutive scale [or its good nature, great sense of humour, or its invaluable knowledge of the Crimean War for that matter!] is going to make me feel any better about that sort of device..... those things will always be scary! =8-\

Entry No.2: Reflex Hammer.
Modelled from a reference shot (loosely).

less than 50 mins for the modelling, another 2-3 hours on the materials / textures, setup and render if I'm honest.

Great entries so far folks, ace work. Might have to see if I can get a third one in. :thumbsup:

flakester.

Hopper
01-10-2009, 04:37 PM
"Smack!" .. lol .. great one Flakester.

Surely one of the best .. but then again .. that's just my knee-jerk reaction... :D

flakester
01-10-2009, 04:47 PM
~ Surely one of the best .. but then again .. that's just my knee-jerk reaction... :D

Hahaha!! - Awesome! :D

adamredwoods
01-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Here's a urological biopsy forceps. Got a polyp in your bladder? Let this take a nip out of it so the lab people can test it out.

You win for scariest.

Weepul
01-11-2009, 03:57 AM
Great modeling and render, Nangleator. That DOF really sells it. Interesting depth-fade technique.

Iain
01-11-2009, 04:21 AM
Great textures and render, Flakester :thumbsup:

Nangleator
01-11-2009, 07:25 AM
Cool render, flakester! And the surfaces really make you look twice. They kind of look like high-tech lollipops.

Interesting depth-fade technique.
You know, it wound up much cooler than I was planning. It's just fog plus DOF, with pure HDR lighting. Oh, I used "Directional Rays" in radiosity, so it added some interesting colors to the floor.

Nangleator
01-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Here's a ureteral dilatation balloon dilating a ureteral orifice. That's the hole that leads to the tube that runs between one of your kidneys and your bladder. If a urologist has to get up there, he's wise to stretch that opening first, with one of these.

(These things fill with saline via a syringe, and can hold 30 ATM of pressure, which, frankly, is enough to pop any stricture your collecting system is capable of developing.)

18 minutes modeling. I should really try something more complex.

http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/balloon1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/balloon2.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/balloon3.jpg

flakester
01-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Here's a ureteral dilatation balloon dilating a ureteral orifice. That's the hole that leads to the tube that runs between one of your kidneys and your bladder. If a urologist has to get up there, he's wise to stretch that opening first, with one of these.

(These things fill with saline via a syringe, and can hold 30 ATM of pressure, which, frankly, is enough to pop any stricture your collecting system is capable of developing.)

Not sure I've ever taken in the view from inside a bladder before. Now I don't feel so good. :p

Some very tidy modelling there. :thumbsup:

flakester.

Nangleator
01-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Oh, and here's my chompy thing with the jaws closed. (I didn't really rig it, I just made a morph target of the thing open. It's in layers, though, with proper pivot points. It wouldn't be hard to rig and animate it.)

http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/pic/Medical1Z.jpg

Oedo 808
01-11-2009, 03:37 PM
I didn't think I'd ever hear myself say "I like your urological biopsy forceps." Nice models and renders there Nagleator, and that line was a classic "(Don't let it scare you. It's only a millimeter in diameter.)" .. That's what makes it so scary!

And a good second entry from flakester, a very nice looking render too. And a terrible joke from Hopper, keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

I finally found something I wanted to have a crack at, went to the full hour, could have done with another. Anyway... A dental extraction forceps!

A bit mirrory looking on the handles, and I was going to rough up the grips, but I couldn't be arsed because it took me long enough to do that much. I adjusted the levels because the render came out a bit dark. It was an unpleasant experience looking for references for those I can tell you.

IMI
01-11-2009, 04:45 PM
All really cool stuff so far. :thumbsup:

Although I'd be lying if I said I was comfortable viewing these things. ;)

Oedo, you ought to try out the proximity modifier for DOF - very easy to use and nearly flawless DOF.

The Dommo
01-11-2009, 07:11 PM
woah I love that little metal tentacley thingy!

The Dommo
01-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Well, I finally thought I'd get some time to do one of these.

One problem - I've been studying stuff in Layout as of late, when I can. I haven't really touched Modeller for about 3 months till now!

So, when I chose my subject, I broke it down in my head to figure out how to model it. Of course though this didn't go to plan because I had forgotten some of Modeller and had to re-learn things!! :help:

On my first night, I did about 45 mins modelling, with interruptions from my girlfriend - I mean fiance (that never sounds right :P) and my cat too :twak: so I stopped there.

When I went back to my model 2 nights later, I had to look at my model to figure out what the hell I had done :D lol

I ended up having to rail extrude about 17.5 attempts to make it work, and 3 attempts at doing the tail end cos I must've done something wrong somewhere along the line.

So - I didn't finish within the hour, so took a framegrab of where I got to (first image). Decided I wanted to finish anyway, so carried on slowly late at night while surfing and listening to music, so didn't really keep track of time.

Then tonight I've spent a couple of hours on the materials and lighting and rendering. :devil: So although I didn't meet the 60 min criteria, I hope you like it anyway. :boogiedow

Hopper
01-11-2009, 07:36 PM
On my first night, I did about 45 mins modelling, with interruptions from my girlfriend - I mean fiance (that never sounds right :P)
Just wait until you're married and you make the mistake of saying "girlfriend". Not a good time.

Nice modeling.

I was going to jump in on this one, but 'medical' things kinda creep me out and the lolipop thing was done better than I could for sure.

Oedo 808
01-12-2009, 01:49 AM
@IMI,

Thanks for the advice :thumbsup: I'm happy for any and all suggestions toward anything I post. Though I had a look around and I've still no idea how to use the proximity modifier for DOF? :confused:

@The Dommo

Nice job, I took quite a long break while putting together a new system, when I came back to use modeler I couldn't do a bloody thing. Took me few days before it started to come back.

adamredwoods
01-12-2009, 02:02 AM
55 min.
Render about 15m on x2

Iain
01-12-2009, 02:12 AM
Though I had a look around and I've still no idea how to use the proximity modifier for DOF? :confused:

Good to see you back in action Oedo!

I posted this on another thread. Works with FPrime Render too............

To use Proximity for DOF control:

Add a Null. Position it exactly where you want the focus to be. You can reposition it whenever you need to.

Add the 'Proximity' modifier in the Camera's Focal Distance Envelope. Double click on it then select the null as Item and the camera as Target.

flakester
01-12-2009, 04:15 AM
@ The Dommo: Ace piece of work there - your hospital floor is brilliant, takes me back a fair few years to when I had my tonsils taken out... And another time when a woman sliced a lump out of my finger, though that's a different story. I suppose I could just turn round and tell you this - being only 11 feet away! :p

Great textures and render, Flakester :thumbsup:

Cool render, flakester! And the surfaces really make you look twice. They kind of look like high-tech lollipops.
Cheers both. In some of the ref shots I found, the heads were a kind of transluscent rubber - I think I got some way to recreating that.

~ a good second entry from flakester, a very nice looking render too. And a terrible joke from Hopper, keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

I finally found something I wanted to have a crack at, went to the full hour, could have done with another. Anyway... A dental extraction forceps! ~
Cheers Dude.
I heard weird groaning noises while I was looking at your extraction forceps there....... took me a few seconds to realise it was me. 8-\
Made me go a bit itchy behind the knees. Awesome work!

@ adamredwoods: Haha! Excellent. Strange how it doesn't freak me out anywhere near as much as the 'tools' that others have posted! :p

Great work all.

flakester.

The Dommo
01-12-2009, 06:04 AM
We can talk through Skype too dude - it's a lot of strain turning 180 degrees to talk. And I can't hear things from behind me cos my ears, they point forward.

flakester
01-12-2009, 06:42 AM
~ And I can't hear things from behind me cos my ears, they point forward.

So does your nose - but you can still smell me from time to time! :D :D
Yeah, maybe that was a little too much off topic!

flakester.

Nangleator
01-12-2009, 06:53 AM
Ew! Creepy alien baby in a jar! Ew!

adamredwoods read "medical field" and thought evil, mad doctor.

adamredwoods
01-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Ew! Creepy alien baby in a jar! Ew!

adamredwoods read "medical field" and thought evil, mad doctor.

I thought "specimen" and got too carried away. mwah ha ha ha!

flakester
01-12-2009, 11:14 AM
I thought "specimen" and got too carried away. mwah ha ha ha!

Eeeeewwwwwww. *retch*!! :p

flakester.

IMI
01-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Good to see you back in action Oedo!

I posted this on another thread. Works with FPrime Render too............

To use Proximity for DOF control:

Add a Null. Position it exactly where you want the focus to be. You can reposition it whenever you need to.

Add the 'Proximity' modifier in the Camera's Focal Distance Envelope. Double click on it then select the null as Item and the camera as Target.

Yeah, what Iain said.
He's the one who taught me about the proximity modifier. Works like a charm and will almost make you feel guilty about it. ;) The DOF preview in Layout works with it too. The only downside is you have to use a good amount of AA, but DOF needs that anyway, with or without the proximity modifier.

flakester
01-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Entry No.3 The Cushing Elevator.

Yup - I have no idea what it does either, though judging by some of the [great and quite frankly scary] entries here... someone will be able to give me a good run down of its uses, and who pioneered it too! :p

I'll see if I get time and/or inspiration for another entry over the next two days.

Object attached for open usage - should anyone ever find the need!

flakester.

Nangleator
01-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Um... Peter Cushing invented it to put on his elevator shoes?

The Dommo
01-14-2009, 04:53 AM
3 entries? You're just showing off. Anyway, that's a shoe-horn. :P

Iain
01-14-2009, 05:20 AM
I feel bad that I'm missing so many of these nowadays. Trying to get something done today.

Nice Hammer Horror shoehorn, Flakester!

Dreamer
01-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Hi All
I've been away for the past week, no computer, no cell. Very nice really.
I think I'm to judge this one. Is the deadline today?

Iain
01-14-2009, 02:37 PM
I think I'm to judge this one. Is the deadline today?

Yes, in about 25 minutes.

Oedo 808
01-14-2009, 02:47 PM
@IMI & Iain

Yeehaa! This DOF stuff rocks! :rock: Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Though I did undercook the second one a bit :thumbsdow

Iain
01-14-2009, 02:53 PM
A total cop out but I needed to get something done.

Spinal Needle.

Modelling 10 minutes.:newhere:

Iain
01-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Nice stuff oedo. :thumbsup:

Oedo 808
01-14-2009, 03:01 PM

:D

Nice stuff oedo. :thumbsup:

Thank you, kind sir.

You know, there is something very sexy about your renders guv'na, I'll get there in the end!

Dreamer
01-14-2009, 03:27 PM
I'm picking Nangleator for the jaw probe.
All of the entries took on a very invasive, nasty turn, making me want to crawl in Doomo's bed.
This is why you don't want to get ill.
Good job.

Oedo 808
01-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Congratulations Nangleator!

You did too good a job on that one, it may well give me nightmares.:eek:

geothefaust
01-14-2009, 06:00 PM
55 min.
Render about 15m on x2

NICE! I like creepy stuff like this. Well done sir! :thumbsup:

Nangleator
01-14-2009, 06:32 PM
Woo hoo!

Thanks, guys! If I couldn't win this category, I don't know what I could have won...

Nice packaging on the spinal needle, Iain. It's very authentically medical, from one who has opened far too many sterile packages (for a non-doctor.)

Do I think up a subject now? How long have I got?

(Oh, and I can give the object to anyone who wants it.)

adamredwoods
01-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Yes, great job on the probe.
--Oh, can you send me the probe, I want to do something funny with it.

Nangleator
01-14-2009, 08:28 PM
9.5 scene.

adamredwoods
01-15-2009, 12:59 AM
Here ya go.... arrgh it's Dr. Octopus as a fetus!

Oedo 808
01-15-2009, 03:08 AM

Haha! :D That gave me a good chuckle.

Yeah, you showed some good originality with your entry adam.

flakester
01-15-2009, 04:20 AM
~ Nice Hammer Horror shoehorn, Flakester!
Hehe! Cheers Iain. :thumbsup:

@IMI & Iain Yeehaa! This DOF stuff rocks! :rock: ~
Awesome job, the texture on the handles works wonders.

A total cop out but I needed to get something done.
Spinal Needle.
Fab work, though I must admit it made me feel a touch iffy - the idea of having a needle in your spine and all.

Hahaha! ORSM!! :thumbsup:

@ Satheesh: - hope to see more entries from you in the following rounds.

Great work all.
And congrats to Nangleator - a very well deserved win. :thumbsup:

flakester.

Nangleator
01-15-2009, 05:01 AM
Ha! Yes, I thought Doc Ock seemed familiar when I saw the big screen version, but I never made the connection.

Iain
01-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Great idea, Adam - and well executed.

Well done for all the great entries and input.

On to the next one then:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=808159#post808159

colkai
01-16-2009, 02:10 AM
Well done Nangleator. :)

Iain
01-23-2009, 04:51 AM
Any ideas for next challenge, Nangleator?

I've very little time to get on the forums just now so if you're comfortable with starting the next one, just carry on.
If not, I'll get it going as soon as I can :thumbsup:

Nangleator
01-23-2009, 05:24 AM
Took care of it, Iain!