PDA

View Full Version : Graphic display and interface problems

Petrus01
01-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Here's my problem. After downloading certain models in Layout the whole interface will simply go blank (grey) and nothing will show in any window. Also certain menus will not respond to the cursor.
Is this a known bug?
I'm running LW 9.3.1 on an iMac 24" Aluminum 3.0 GZ with a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS.

lwanmtr
01-06-2009, 04:33 AM
What OS are you running? Is it an Intel Mac or G5? I had problems running LW on OS 10.4. If you're running 9.3.1 you can also sign up for the open beta program and get in on 9.6 for free :)

Otterman
01-06-2009, 05:18 AM
This sounds like your graphics card is getting bogged down. What is the size of your scene/poly count? What mode are you viewing in? ie, smoothshade/wireframe/full texture. I have an intel 8core monster with all the bells and whistles, memory up to the hilt and top of the line graphics card and i still have to be careful with how i view my scene.

Generally, avoid wireframe! Bounding box and pointsview aside, smooth shade generally offers quicker drawframe. Also, only having one window will speed things up.

Ive started using 9.5(6) and ive noticed a significant improvement in handling large mounts of data...and its alot more stable too boot. Give it a wirl..u wont be disappointed!

Petrus01
01-06-2009, 06:26 AM
lwanmtr,

I'm running Leopard (10.5.5) on and intel Mac. 9.5 sounds great: what do I have to do?

Otterman,

the scene contains a single model, a converted .3ds model, with less than 20,000 polys. That's why I find it so strange.

Kuzey
01-07-2009, 07:43 AM
Mmmm....just guessing but it could be a problem with the model, the 3ds format is pretty old I would think.

Have you tried exporting it out as an obj from modeler and seeing if that works.

Kuzey

Petrus01
01-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Mmmm....just guessing but it could be a problem with the model, the 3ds format is pretty old I would think.

Have you tried exporting it out as an obj from modeler and seeing if that works.

Kuzey

I suspect that's the problem. LW has no problem in opening other models with a heavier polycount. I still think it's weird that Modeler can handle the model without any trouble and Layout can't. Anyway...

Thanks everybody for the feedback.