PDA

View Full Version : Bones trouble

skywalker113
01-05-2009, 09:54 PM
I created a walk cycle for a human character. Everything seemed to be alright. Although When I reloaded the scene, the arms were all messed up. They were twisted, stretched, and horrible. I know about the bones rest command, but when I did that to the arm bones, the mesh went back to its original state, witch is the arms sticking straight out, completly ignoring the movement of the bones.

BigHache
01-05-2009, 10:17 PM
If the bones are still keyframed and moving and the mesh is not deforming, then it sounds like you turned the bones off to change their rest position/rotation and did not turn them back on.

skywalker113
01-05-2009, 10:45 PM
The model was fine when I exited. And when I came back it was like this.

evenflcw
01-05-2009, 10:48 PM
The mesh is suppose to go back to it's original state when you rest! But you are also suppose to position the bones in the matching pose when you rest. The (undeformed) mesh and the bones need to be in synch when you rest.

Also, "the screwed up rest position after load"-issue is a common one. Most often (actually pretty much always) it's the fault of using the Record Pivot Rotation command or manually edited pivots and not reresting after that. Offsetting the pivot offsets the bone in relation to the world or it's parent just like rotating or moving the bone regularly, that's why you need to rerest after changing the pivot.

skywalker113
01-06-2009, 03:46 PM
The mesh is suppose to go back to it's original state when you rest! But you are also suppose to position the bones in the matching pose when you rest. The (undeformed) mesh and the bones need to be in synch when you rest.

Also, "the screwed up rest position after load"-issue is a common one. Most often (actually pretty much always) it's the fault of using the Record Pivot Rotation command or manually edited pivots and not reresting after that. Offsetting the pivot offsets the bone in relation to the world or it's parent just like rotating or moving the bone regularly, that's why you need to rerest after changing the pivot.

Ok, so I should rest the bones after I record pivot rotation, but once this mistake happens, is there any way to fix it?

evenflcw
01-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Hmmm... I'm not sure I follow anymore.

If your mesh was distorted on load. The fix IS to put the bones back in the "rest pose", which is the pose matching the undeformed mesh, and rerest. (Then resave your scene.) So the correct workflow when rigging the first time and tweaking the rig the next time is the same.

As such a distorted mesh can always be fixed. The bones system imho is the most forgiving part of LW, and you never really need to be afraid that you mess anything up for good because you can always tweak and rerest. It used to be that I'd restart rigging from scratch each time I wanted to test a different way to rig. I don't do that anymore. I just go ahead and tweak the bones I already got (and rerest as I make alterations/additions/change parenting etc).