PDA

View Full Version : card method help

Eye Bleed
01-05-2009, 01:59 AM
Hi I am using the card method for the first time, and i need some :help: I want to stack feathers to make a wing but the feathers behind are not showing up I do have transparency on them, I'm not sure how to explain it so here are some renders of the color and the rendered alpha, I think what is happening is that the transparency on the top feathers are canceling the ones behind them completely out. for the moment I'm all out of ideas.
also note that the feather is textured to a single poly then alpha transparency.

Andrew March
01-05-2009, 03:49 AM
You've got ray trace transparency on right?

Eye Bleed
01-05-2009, 04:07 AM
ray trace transparency is on.

Eye Bleed
01-05-2009, 05:47 AM
Well I figured it out after many hours, and it was simple. The key was placement, I'm not sure why but they are single poly meshes and the way I stacked them was copy, past, rotate they were all lined up in the y axis which caused them to intersect with each other. This wreaked havoc on the transparency maps, causing the problem seen earlier. I moved one feather down slightly in the y axis to keep it from intersecting on the same plane and all was good. although, I would like to know a better way, for doing low poly hair, card method is the way to go. except the cards need to intersect to make the hair look right, such as gears of war.