PDA

View Full Version : attention australian lightwave user

jdomingo
01-03-2009, 03:26 AM
the title is just to grab attention for my question.

i've been using LW now for about 2 years now full time as arch viz. self taught mostly about LW archi modeling and rendering. now i wanted to tap into character modeling and animation and visual effects and my question is, is there a school offering training usiing Lightwave here in australia? i've search the google about it but none i found so i am asking OZ LW users if there is one. thanks

Stunt Pixels
01-03-2009, 04:14 AM
Dunno. Some Uni's teach it though. Your best best is to ask Darryl at New Magic, he's on top of who teaches Lightwave in Oz.

That said, I'm not sure the best thing to do is limit yourself to learning in Lightwave. The fundamentals are the same in all packages, so maybe a more generic type course would be suitable? The best place in Oz to learn would be AFTRS (more from a filmic perspective), probably followed by the design center at Enmore... Also, character work and visual effects are two totally separate fields, you may find it easier if you clarify exactly what you're after...

If you want to learn, and aren't so interested in the piece of paper, you could look at studying online. For character work you could look at Animation Mentor, and for effects work maybe Gnomon online?

Hope this helps

Revanto
01-03-2009, 04:58 PM
If you can't get training in Oz then your second option is to invest in training material such as DVDs. You might be lucky to have access to online training somewhere. But, as Stunt Pixels mentioned, you may be better off going the generic root. Most3d programs have similar tools and processes. If you want to learn organic modelling there's tons of different non-Lightwave material that's just as useful. Plus, you can make use of Youtube and othe tutorial sites which have free video tutorials to give you a rundown of good organic modelling.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Revanto

PS: Free learning and DVDs are cheaper than taking a course, in my opinion.