PDA

View Full Version : OT: Windows 7 and LW 9.x

Hopper
01-02-2009, 03:30 PM
If anyone is interested...

I just tested LW 9.3.1 and 9.5 (release) with our development copy of Windows 7 and seems to work quite well. However, for the 64 bit version I had to backrev my Sentinel version to 7.3.0 in order for it to see the dongle. Not that big of an issue, but it was a pain in the butt.

I have also tried several nVidia drivers that had previously had OGL issues (the stutter, lag problem as well as the infamouse MS mouse screen redraw issue) and they seem to have disappeared.

nVidia drivers tested: (on an 9800GX2 and 8800GTX)

This build of Windows is EXTREMELY stable and much more reliable than I have ever seen from MS. It looks to be a genuine replacement for most of Vista's problems. There are still a few snags I'd like to see eliminated, but all in all it is looking to be a solid product.

zapper1998
01-02-2009, 03:52 PM
coooooollllllllllllllllllllllll nesssss

meatycheesyboy
01-02-2009, 05:17 PM
This build of Windows is EXTREMELY stable and much more reliable than I have ever seen from MS. It looks to be a genuine replacement for most of Vista's problems. There are still a few snags I'd like to see eliminated, but all in all it is looking to be a solid product.

Glad to hear about W7 but I'm curious, what problems do you currently have with Vista that 7 addresses specifically? While it's true that in the beginning Vista had some rough spots primarily due to incompatible drivers, it has been extremely stable for the last year or so.

I'm not try to start a war here, it's just that to be perfectly honest, I don't have any problems with Vista right now and am not sure what exactly W7 is going to do for me. I am looking forward to it though, primarily because I love messing with new stuff though, not because I'm expecting many real improvements.

OlaHaldor
01-02-2009, 05:50 PM
The only thing I've spotted which creates an odd effect, is that I gotta use the Aero theme instead of any normal or Vista Basic theme - this will make the arrows, E's and T's, magnifying glass and cross arrows etc go away, and the buttons sits there all naked.

Hopper
01-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Glad to hear about W7 but I'm curious, what problems do you currently have with Vista that 7 addresses specifically? While it's true that in the beginning Vista had some rough spots primarily due to incompatible drivers, it has been extremely stable for the last year or so.
Trust me... I don't have enough space to type out all the issues we have with Vista. But to be fair, it's completely understandable that many people never have and never will see serious issues with Vista. It just depends on the capacity in which you use it. This goes for just about any OS, so I’m not going to start bashing Vista because of it. It simply fails miserably at what we need it to do (and moreover what ‘not’ to do).

For example, in our environment we have too many network and security issues with Vista. The thing is like Swiss cheese as it relates to security. It’s all fine and great that it locks the average user out of all the “oooh don’t touch this” areas so they don’t shoot themselves in the foot, but for someone that knows what they are doing, Vista is a snap to break into. We’re not really worried about our users, but we do have hundreds of contractors in the facility, some of which are actually competitors to one another, so we still have to play network cops internally. It has more than 25 overflow exploits that MS won’t even acknowledge (8 of which are inducible remotely). The built-in IP stack is still a joke when trying to establish VPN connections over dedicated VLAN configurations. They STILL can’t get Wireless Zero Configuration to be .. well .. ‘zero’, as it can’t handle multichannel broadcast secured wireless networks without manual configuration after every reboot.

The list goes on and on… not to mention absolutely no legacy support for ‘not-so-older’ applications and network components such as media centers and network conferencing software/hardware. I’m sure everything would run smoothly if we simply replace all of our hardware, but I’m fairly certain the bean counters would laugh at that idea. There is no ROI for that request at all. We would gain no additional functionality.

BUT… For personal use or small networks, sure… Vista is not a problem and in some cases probably cures quite a few ills that XP has inflicted over the past few years. It’s just not well suited for many corporate environments. Even DoD has asked Microsoft for a special extension for XP support because they can’t IAVA certify Vista in their SIPRNet networks.

So far, Windows 7 has covered about 70% of our issues right out of the gate. They have revamped so many components and redesigned so many internals for this release. We’ve been very pleased so far. I was impressed enough to replace my OS at home with it (after testing LW of course) - which lead me to this post.

JonW
01-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Just bough two new i7 920 & 940, XP64 works really well.

meatycheesyboy
01-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Trust me... I don't have enough space to type out all the issues we have with Vista. But to be fair, it's completely understandable that many people never have and never will see serious issues with Vista. It just depends on the capacity in which you use it. This goes for just about any OS, so I’m not going to start bashing Vista because of it. It simply fails miserably at what we need it to do (and moreover what ‘not’ to do).

For example, in our environment we have too many network and security issues with Vista. The thing is like Swiss cheese as it relates to security. It’s all fine and great that it locks the average user out of all the “oooh don’t touch this” areas so they don’t shoot themselves in the foot, but for someone that knows what they are doing, Vista is a snap to break into. We’re not really worried about our users, but we do have hundreds of contractors in the facility, some of which are actually competitors to one another, so we still have to play network cops internally. It has more than 25 overflow exploits that MS won’t even acknowledge (8 of which are inducible remotely). The built-in IP stack is still a joke when trying to establish VPN connections over dedicated VLAN configurations. They STILL can’t get Wireless Zero Configuration to be .. well .. ‘zero’, as it can’t handle multichannel broadcast secured wireless networks without manual configuration after every reboot.

The list goes on and on… not to mention absolutely no legacy support for ‘not-so-older’ applications and network components such as media centers and network conferencing software/hardware. I’m sure everything would run smoothly if we simply replace all of our hardware, but I’m fairly certain the bean counters would laugh at that idea. There is no ROI for that request at all. We would gain no additional functionality.

BUT… For personal use or small networks, sure… Vista is not a problem and in some cases probably cures quite a few ills that XP has inflicted over the past few years. It’s just not well suited for many corporate environments. Even DoD has asked Microsoft for a special extension for XP support because they can’t IAVA certify Vista in their SIPRNet networks.

So far, Windows 7 has covered about 70% of our issues right out of the gate. They have revamped so many components and redesigned so many internals for this release. We’ve been very pleased so far. I was impressed enough to replace my OS at home with it (after testing LW of course) - which lead me to this post.

I am a home user so I don't have any of the issues that you speak of. It is great to hear that W7 is fixing alot of the issues that you're having but it sounds like it won't benefit me too much as a single user with nothing more than a 4 computer home network. Maybe I'll grab the beta and play with it anyway since as I said before, I love new stuff!

Hopper
01-02-2009, 06:45 PM
I am a home user so I don't have any of the issues that you speak of. It is great to hear that W7 is fixing alot of the issues that you're having but it sounds like it won't benefit me too much as a single user with nothing more than a 4 computer home network. Maybe I'll grab the beta and play with it anyway since as I said before, I love new stuff!
By all means... I don't think you will be disappointed.

mattclary
01-02-2009, 09:25 PM
I loaded Win 7 in a VM the other day and was impressed with how well it seemed to perform.

Matt
01-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Where are you all grabbing the Windows 7 Beta from? Looked on Microsoft's site, couldn't find a download / sign up link anywhere.

Hopper
01-02-2009, 10:16 PM
We have an MSDN subscription and are part of the Preferred Developers Group for 3rd party application security testing. Ours showed up via FedEx about two weeks ago. It was fairly odd packaging if you ask me - big brown box with a single brown envelope and an MSDN DVD marked "P25-W7-A1 Boot Install" written with a Sharpie marker. No paper, no NDA, no nada. But the return label was from the usual Redmond office address.

A developer friend of mine said that he had it installed on his system, but let's just say his source wasn't so 'official' if you know what I mean .. <*cough cough torrent cough*>.

Matt
01-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Ahhhh, so you need to be subscribed! (Or on one of those *cough cough torrent cough* things!)

I think I'll wait for the Official Release myself! Vista is doing fine so far for me, quite impressed actually after all the horror stories I heard!

:D

meatycheesyboy
01-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Last I heard, the public beta will start in about 2 weeks, so you won't be waiting long Matt.

Silkrooster
01-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Glad to hear things are getting better, Hopper. I am still on XP, debating on whether to upgrade or wait till I am ready for a new system. I am thinking of going 64 bit next time.
I had a feeling Microsoft was trying harder. Over at Adobe forums, one of the Microsoft crew popped in to see what could be done about the psd icons in explorer. He seamed to really care about his work. I would love to see more people take pride in their jobs no matter how large the corporation is.

Matt
01-03-2009, 03:50 AM
I'm looking forward to trying Windows 7 at some point, but in the meantime I'm very happy with Vista x64. It has a few minor annoyances with the file explorer that I pop into from time to time. For my graphics workstation and gaming needs Vista x64 is the most rock solid version of Windows yet. If Windows 7 is an improvement on that, with the same stability and with added functionality, I will not hesitate buying an OEM license when it is released.

Ditto.

meatycheesyboy
01-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Over at Adobe forums, one of the Microsoft crew popped in to see what could be done about the psd icons in explorer.

The funny thing about that is that it was Abode who fubared the functionality in the first place. Thumbnails from CS and below work fine in the explorer. They don't work in version above because Abode needed to justify their Bridge app and that was one way to help it along.

Hopefully, something can be worked ut and done to bring back the functionality. It is good to hear that the Microsofties seem to care though.

Silkrooster
01-04-2009, 12:14 AM
The funny thing about that is that it was Abode who fubared the functionality in the first place. Thumbnails from CS and below work fine in the explorer. They don't work in version above because Abode needed to justify their Bridge app and that was one way to help it along.

Hopefully, something can be worked ut and done to bring back the functionality. It is good to hear that the Microsofties seem to care though.

I kind of had that funny feeling myself. In the back of my mind I think two groups were created at Adobe to have a contest to see which would win, Lightroom or Bridge. They could have easily incorporated lightroom into Bridge, but its another source of income.
Silk

Matt
01-04-2009, 02:36 AM
Getting Adobe PSD / AI Icons to Show in XP (Not tried it in Vista)

http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2007/10/26/adobe-cs3-and-the-case-of-the-disappearing-thumbnails-the-sequel/

When I was on XP, I tried this and it worked a treat!