PDA

View Full Version : Field 3 error

OaheTV
01-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Anyone know what a Field 1/ Field 3 error is?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry for the duplicate post - I tried SpeedEDIT VT forum but had no luck. NewTek support is MIA and I can't afford another weekend down.

I'm looking for info on a crash message I've been getting in SpeedEDIT VT. The system crashes and brings up a prompt box that reads, "Unable to read field 3."

It appears tied to the CG, but I'm not certain because I can't open any projects long enough without getting the "field 3" crash.

Tec support directed me to uninstall and completely re-load back to v5.0, but now when opening a project I get "unable to read field 1" and a crash. Not event able to use "undo/redo" stack before it crashes again.

I built a test project with nothing but new clips & CG's and again, "field 3" and a crash as soon as I tried to reopen the saved test project.

Any help is appreciated & thanks in advance. pmc

Keith Gandy
01-09-2009, 03:39 AM
I have not seen that crash, so I can't offer any suggestions. Sorry. Hope you find some assistance.

If the CG is in place, meaning you have already produced your titles, can you shut down the CG Designer and see what follows?

OaheTV
01-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Hey Keith!

Thanks for replying, or even caring - you have now done more than NewTek. I call tech support each day, have sent personal messages to Paul Laura, and have not heard a single word back. I'm at 10 days and counting.

The solution to my problem was to purchase CS4 and finish my project in Adobe. It dosen't solve the larger issue, I'm still trying to figure out how to do live studio work without VT-5.

The NewTek tech support page say's the world HQ will be back open January 2, 09 - apparently they didn't come back.

Pete Draves
01-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Way back when... in the early days of tv there was a proposal for a rotating disk system. the Nipkow disc.
The system had 3 spirals of holes to scan the image using 3 fields.
I was too cumbersome and was never built.
Maybe this was a throw back error???

the above is true, but I have never seen that particular error here in all of my instalations.
Pete

Paul Lara
01-12-2009, 04:35 PM
...have sent personal messages to Paul Laura, and have not heard a single word back. I'm at 10 days and counting.

Check your mail. I had sent a reply to your e-mail this morning.
Investigation continues as to what could cause a "Field 3 error".

Paul

Rich Deustachio
01-12-2009, 05:30 PM
A list of all software you have install might help.

Keith Gandy
01-13-2009, 12:06 AM
Can you also build a test with only clips, then a test with only CG pngs? Do they both cause a crash? What type of clips are you using? Where were the CGs generated? Is there any common thread which causes this action?

OaheTV
01-14-2009, 08:00 AM
The issue seems to be tied to the RS-8. I unplugged the RS-8 and used only the keyboard to call up DDR and CG pages and have not had a problem since.

When I plug the RS-8 into either of two VT-5's I have and duplicate the work process, I get the same issue - "Field 1" or an "error reading field 3" and a crash.

The issue seems to be caused ussing DDR off of the RS-8. I've only been able to test this overnight and haven't trusted either VT-5 with a live job since this began, but it's a start.

Keith Gandy
01-14-2009, 09:38 AM
According to various posts, the RS-8 has been causing problems. You have installed VT 5.2 - the latest update? If I am not mistaken, some of those issues were addressed in the latest update.

OaheTV
01-14-2009, 04:27 PM
I installed v5.2 in hopes of solving the RS-8 problems. That's when the system crash problems began.

My guess is I have a faulty RS-8 that is causing some problem within v5.2. I've taken the RS-8 out of the workflow, and have today re-installed v5.2 and things seem to be working.

I never did hear from NewTek engineering, but Paul Lara did get back to me. He recommeded I send in at least one of the two RS-8's I have in for repair.

I've sent each to NewTek at least 3x each and it hasn't worked. I think the solution is to cut my losses, toss the RS-8's away, and keep CS4 nearby.

I really like the VT-5 but it's clear to me now that no shop should be dependant upon any one provider.

Unfortunatly, I remember a time when you could do just that with NewTek products. Long time ago.

Paul Lara
01-15-2009, 04:14 PM
I really like the VT-5 but it's clear to me now that no shop should be dependant upon any one provider. Unfortunatly, I remember a time when you could do just that with NewTek products. Long time ago.

I am sorry you have that perception, and I can empathize your frustration with any problem that is not promptly resolved. In talking with Tech today, there are a few people with this problem, but no one has been able to define specific steps to make this happen. The investigation continues, and I promise you better communications in the interim.

Feel free to e-mail me ([email protected]) at any time.

Paul

Paul Lara
01-16-2009, 01:25 PM
I installed v5.2 in hopes of solving the RS-8 problems. That's when the system crash problems began.

Well, Engineering has been looking into this, and we have now found what this problem is. It is related not to the RS-8 but SpeedEDIT-VT. The project files in question have something wrong with the CG pages stored in them, and it is likely a bug in our code that we will look at and fix.

Stay tuned.

-Paul

jensenmedia
01-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Today 07:20 PM jensenmedia
We have received the Field 1 error numerous times using CG templates while in Speed Edit in VT5 machine. We have reported this to Newtek but to date they have not been able to reproduce the issue so we have no resolution except to go backwards to an undo/redo version of our project file. Then follow these instructions closely we take the DV tape that the project was on and load it into Sony Vegas and work without issue.

OaheTV
02-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Paul & NT have told me they now know what the problem is, NT is able to replicate the problem, but NT WILL NOT BE FIXING IT until the next version at the earliest.

Apparently, there are just not enough of us shut down by this problem to warrant NT doing anything about it anytime soon.

doc debolt
02-27-2009, 08:51 AM
Just to add another user running into this error quite often to possibly help further the cause of getting this fixed.....

I am getting this error more and more frequently - it has doubled the time it is taking me to finish these 3 projects.....and with deadlines looming, no luxury of trying to re-edit the whole darn thing in another package -

Just an FYI - this is happening in VT 5.2 Edit as well as SE standalone

all 3 projects i am working on have experienced this problem

Having the program crash, then have to go into the undo/redo stack - rename the file - reload the project - work for 5 minutes, crash, repeat...gets kinda annoying/frustrating....especially with deadlines coming.

jcupp
02-27-2009, 06:20 PM
...Having the program crash, then have to go into the undo/redo stack - rename the file - reload the project - work for 5 minutes, crash, repeat...gets kinda annoying/frustrating....especially with deadlines coming.

Don't do it that way, try this:

Load the last saved version of your project.
Right click in the blank grey section at the top of the SE window
Select "Redo All Operations"

Project restored to just before it crashed. Still annoying etc. but it's a little easier.

animlab
02-28-2009, 08:39 AM
Jeff,
I am not in front my PC and I can not try the "Redo All Operations" until Monday. Here is my question.
Is "Redo All Operations" will run through all the undo stacks (files) to the last step or just jump to the last undo file? If it will run through all the undo files, then there will be troubles. Since my edit project are quite big. Undo/Redo a step might take few seconds and there are at least 100 undo files in the stacks. Run through all files will take minutes or hours. If it just jump to last undo file, then it should works for me.

jcupp
03-01-2009, 04:09 PM
I've used this many times and its never taken more then a few seconds.

Paul Lara
03-06-2009, 10:11 AM
NT is able to replicate the problem

To elaborate on our discovery - this problem seems to occur when you repeatedly clone/modify/clone/modify/clone.... a cg page. At some point, the page becomes corrupted and causes this.

As a guess, it might help to break the chain of re-re-re-cloned pages and drag in a fresh page. Testing said it was after more than a dozen edit/copy iterations that this popped up.

billmi
03-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Interesting. Thanks for sharing that info.

I wonder if at some point of cloning/modifying/cloning, saving out as a template, then loading the template would give a "fresh start" to the process, since I would assume the template is writing a structured file, not just dumping a copy of content.

OaheTV
03-09-2009, 10:25 AM
"Testing said it was after more than a dozen edit/copy iterations that this popped up."

In truth, testing confirmed this can occur on the very first copy/paste, and did with regularity while we worked on this. I did an entire project with NT on the phone for every step, and the results were the same.

There remains no fix for this issue and none is on the way. Simply do not use "cut/paste" and work entirely in Toolshed. It does work, but you need to do it for every cg, not just after "more than a dozen."

I've tried everything else since first reporting this in December '04. For best results, use VT-5 as a switcher only and edit your project in Adobe.

ScorpioProd
03-09-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm surprised this problem is still there. This problem existed in the very earliest versions of SpeedEDIT, but it seemed to be fixed in the stand-alone SpeedEDIT soon after that.

OaheTV
05-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Six months after the initial report and I've still heard nothing back from NewTek. Despite only using the two very expensive VT-5's as live switchers only - and no editing - the field 1/field 3 / unable to open project problems have worsened.