PDA

View Full Version : Wave forms and sound output not matching in VT Edit

badllarma
01-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Thsi is currently driving me up the wall I've had these issues before with VT 4.5 and no one from Newtek ever gave me an answer so here we are again with the same issue in VT 5.2

I'm edtiing sound to images on the VT Edit time line which is proving to be honest a nightmare as the wave forms DO NOT match with the output on some files but on others they do. i've save the time line reopened it up and even replaced the music track twice and still had the same issue.

The music tracks are mp3 BTW have a look at the two images enclosed which bascially show the problem, any one any ideas???

ScorpioProd
01-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Best advice would be what users have always said in the entire history of the VT. Convert your MP3s to WAVs.

I haven't heard of this particular problem with them, but I bet converting fixes it.

Tom Wood
01-02-2009, 12:36 PM
When you use a sound file in VT-Edit VT creates a file/folder called Newtek something-or-other in the same folder with the audio file. Apparently that new file is used to save/create the waveform and it is not refreshed with a newer version of the audio file. So even if you use a different audio file but with the original filename, VT will use the old version of the waveform.

You can either: 1) Delete the Newtek file/folder. This may be tricky if you have other assets in the same folder with the audio file, since I think the Newtek file thingy is also keeping up with edits and things like in/out points on video clips. Not sure though.

or 2) Save the audio file with a new name and drag that one to the timeline. Since it has a new name, VT will create a new Newtek file/folder entry for it and the waveform should now match.

This drove me crazy for a while too...

badllarma
01-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Cheers guys interesting and useful information from you both :thumbsup:

ted
01-02-2009, 08:34 PM
So even if you use a different audio file but with the original filename, VT will use the old version of the waveform.

This drove me crazy for a while too...

That explains why once in a Blue Moon I'll have my audio suddenly not match the waveform. We normally use XYZ-1-2-3 when naming files, but my audio guy gets lazy sometimes. :D
I never connected why, and could not reproduce it to whine about to Andrew.
Learn something new every day.
Thanks Tom! :thumbsup:

Tom Wood
01-03-2009, 03:39 AM
Thanks Tom! :thumbsup:

You are welcome!

Another 'trick' to remember when using separate audio and video files is that VT-Edit/Speed Edit will not lock them together, unless...

The audio is a WAV and the video is an RTV, they both have the same filename (except for the extension) AND they are both in the same file folder. Then if you drag the RTV to the timeline the WAV will follow and they will be locked together. Might work for other file formats, don't know. (Hat tip to Steve Bowie for this one.)