PDA

View Full Version : ok, im stupid.. but what are..

TSpyrison
08-10-2003, 04:55 PM
Ok, im embarased to ask this, but after brousing through the forums, I realize i have no idea what these are..

1: N-Gons
2: point and edge beveling?

I need to keep up with things more often..

Tom

:)

hrgiger
08-10-2003, 10:55 PM
N-gons are support for subdivision surfaces of 5 or more points. Currently, Lightwave allows either 3 or 4 point polygons.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by point and edge beveling but if you mean edge support, watch this: http://www.maxon.net/pages/products/c4d/movie_modeling.html
It shows edges being manipulated in Cinema 4D. Any good modeler should have this.

jb_gfx
08-11-2003, 06:28 AM
N-gons are polygons with "n" number of points (it's usually used to describes polygons with more than 4 pts). Nothing to deal with subdivision surface.

TSpyrison
08-11-2003, 05:48 PM
So.. If N-Gons are just poly's with more than 4 points..
whats the big hubbub?

Originally posted by jb_gfx
N-gons are polygons with "n" number of points (it's usually used to describes polygons with more than 4 pts). Nothing to deal with subdivision surface.

jb_gfx
08-11-2003, 07:53 PM
What everybody (except me) is waiting for is n-gons in subd mode.

Fabio
08-12-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by jb_gfx
What everybody (except me) is waiting for is n-gons in subd mode.

INDEED! :)

sailor
08-14-2003, 04:18 AM
N-gons will be cool for sure...now i suppose that you realize that whatver happens the Catmull Clark only allows for tris or quad no matter what you want...what other softs are doing is simple making a triple/quad cleanup operation before the Catmull Clark...actually this is what Metaform plus is doing...if you want to have this you can make a triple n-gons followed by a merge trigonX op and there you are....of course it will be nice to have it already there...:D

DaveW
08-14-2003, 02:26 PM
if you want to have this you can make a triple n-gons followed by a merge trigonX op and there you are

Sailor, that's not what other apps or metaform plus are doing. There have been several threads about that already. Tripling the offending polys will make the object subpatchable, but the results are often lumpy and unappealing compared to the way other apps deal with subpatched ngons.

evenflcw
08-14-2003, 02:59 PM
Still what programs like C4D could be a step up workflow wise sometimes. I'd rather we have an option for "autosplitting" of subpatches when nGons SubDs are created than nothing at all. Depending on the modelingmethod you use it we'll be more or less obtrusive.

kamil_w
08-14-2003, 04:36 PM
Catmull-Clark is quad based only.

For triangles there is Loop scheme.

AFAIK Alias is working on hybrid quad/triangle scheme.