PDA

View Full Version : Audio panning

vncnt
01-02-2009, 03:43 AM
Not every 2ch audio recording is a stereo recording.

In SE I can balance a stereo source but it seems I'm unable to select the desired channel and pan this one to the center L-R or F-B.

I could use an external program for this but since every DV, HDV, EX clip has 2 channels in sync with the videostream this might be a useful feature to speed-up the process.

billmi
01-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Select the audio clip in one of the SpeeEdit panes, then set the other pane then set the other pane to control tree view. In the right side of the control tree view you should by default see the spline display.

At its bottom left there are tabs to switch between spline display and audio levels. In the audio levels view, you can graphically pan the virtual positions for 4 audio channels, and you have a graphic EQ on the right. Just drag the source point in the diagram, or use the panning sliders. The panning is keyframeable too, so you can have audio sources move over time. You can also control these from the controltree and spline views, but panning track position is super-intuitive in this view.

vncnt
01-10-2009, 01:14 AM
Try this with background sound on channel 1 (stereo-L) and voice on channel 2 (stereo-R).
This happens a lot when working with one internal and one external microphone.

Now pan channel 1 to the target R channel and pan channel 2 to the target center.

To me it seems that SpeedEdit can't do this.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

When using balance, one channel will fade to silent.
This is okay when mixing music but it's not okay for independant sound channels.

SBowie
01-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Vincent, I think you should be able to accomplish this using the Pan controls under Advanced Audio in the Control Tree. I haven't loaded up test samples to confirm this, but it looks like it should work.

chribba
01-22-2010, 11:53 AM
I would be bice to someone explain the audio on speededit and vt, i have been asking for an easy way to use 4 channel, L/R for years but i seams that itīs hard to see that a channel is left/right mono.

/chribba

SBowie
01-22-2010, 02:06 PM
I would be bice to someone explain the audio on speededit and vt, i have been asking for an easy way to use 4 channel, L/R for years but i seams that itīs hard to see that a channel is left/right mono.

/chribbaI'm sorry, I need a little clearer explanation of exactly what it is you wish to accomplish. :(

Quiet1onTheSet
01-22-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm sorry, I need a little clearer explanation of exactly what it is you wish to accomplish. :(

I'm wondering if Chribba has taken a look at the audio controls section in the .pdf documentation for SpeedEDIT or SpeedEDIT-VT...

For the record, it would be good for him to have an SX 8 or SX 84 connected to VT, then, by inserting, say -- mics and other audio sources, he could experiment with the 4-Ch switches and pan controls on the VT audio mixer, then recording a "mix" with the capture module.

A bit later, he can then note that SpeedEDIT-VT's transport control section will reveal up to 4 channels of audio, when playing the recorded, multichannel clip in the timeline. From there, he can select the clip, then open the Control Tree, to tweak the balance, pan and volume controls to his heart's content.

Barring my looking into the VT[5] hardcopy or .pdf manual or the SpeedEDIT .pdf manual myself, those are the best explanations in succinct form I can serve up at the moment.

Q1

chribba
01-24-2010, 12:41 PM
I'm wondering if Chribba has taken a look at the audio controls section in the .pdf documentation for SpeedEDIT or SpeedEDIT-VT...

For the record, it would be good for him to have an SX 8 or SX 84 connected to VT, then, by inserting, say -- mics and other audio sources, he could experiment with the 4-Ch switches and pan controls on the VT audio mixer, then recording a "mix" with the capture module.

A bit later, he can then note that SpeedEDIT-VT's transport control section will reveal up to 4 channels of audio, when playing the recorded, multichannel clip in the timeline. From there, he can select the clip, then open the Control Tree, to tweak the balance, pan and volume controls to his heart's content.

Barring my looking into the VT[5] hardcopy or .pdf manual or the SpeedEDIT .pdf manual myself, those are the best explanations in succinct form I can serve up at the moment.

Q1

Yep that seams like an easy way...NOT

chribba
01-24-2010, 02:16 PM
[QUOTE=SBowie;976602]I'm sorry, I need a little clearer explanation of exactly what it is you wish to accomplish. :([/QUOTE

I do not have the time to explain this every time someone think they have a solution... Here some threads 5 years old.....

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43585
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38091
Chribba

donx
01-24-2010, 04:23 PM
This is new territory for me but I have just installed 5:1 speaker monitoring in my studio, powered by an AV Surround Receiver. I would like to create discrete surround mixes (probably using an external audio program).

Still, I'm not sure what multi-channel file formats SE2 supports and what it will render out.

Does SE support multi-channel audio card output?

Has anyone worked with this?

SBowie
01-24-2010, 07:50 PM
I'm sorry, I need a little clearer explanation of exactly what it is you wish to accomplish. :(I do not have the time to explain this every time someone think they have a solution... Here some threads 5 years old..... About all I can make out from the old threads is that you have made a few feature requests. I rather like the idea of showing the waveform right in the spline editor. Apart from that, I'm still not really sure what it is you are unable to accomplish.

No worries though - clearly it's a sore point. Sorry to have bothered you by asking.

chribba
01-25-2010, 01:10 PM
About all I can make out from the old threads is that you have made a few feature requests. I rather like the idea of showing the waveform right in the spline editor. Apart from that, I'm still not really sure what it is you are unable to accomplish.

No worries though - clearly it's a sore point. Sorry to have bothered you by asking.

Letīs take something easy... have a video with channel 1 and 2. On channel 1 you have a handheld mono microphone and on channel 2 you have the camera microphone...
How do you split the audio 1 and 2 in SE and VT-edit? or how do you pan channel 1 or 2 to be mono in only left or right speaker? And what do the waveform show you when playing with this?

/Chribba

Rich Deustachio
01-26-2010, 03:50 PM
I do this all the time.

When you record let's say a wireless mic to audio 2 and camera mic to audio 1, in SE/VT5 it does keep them as separate audio tracks and they output on left and right channels separately.

If you want to adjust the volume up or down on just one channel, go into the advanced audio controls and you will see Left and Right channel settings. You can raise, lower, ramp up or down each channel independently.

I you want each channel to play out to both L & R output channels you then adjust the pan setting.

SBowie
01-26-2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks, Rich. Sorry for not replying, I've been sick for a couple of days. As Rich mentioned, you can pan left-right and front-back in the Advanced settings, or use the interactive "Audio Levels" tab controls to accomplish the same thing with more visual feedback.

You won't see the waveform on the clip in the timeline change channels when you pan, but when you play or scrub, you'll see the effect on the output VU meters.

Quiet1onTheSet
01-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Thanks, Rich. Sorry for not replying, I've been sick for a couple of days. As Rich mentioned, you can pan left-right and front-back in the Advanced settings, or use the interactive "Audio Levels" tab controls to accomplish the same thing with more visual feedback.

You won't see the waveform on the clip in the timeline change channels when you pan, but when you play or scrub, you'll see the effect on the output VU meters. Whew! This thread has turned out for the better, as I was getting a bit worried about the tone.

Q1