PDA

View Full Version : How do you make indvidual clips?

Billybopper1
01-01-2009, 06:37 PM
I have several minutes of raw footage on my computer that I've captured using Speed Edit and I want to break them up into several smaller individual clips. Can anybody tell me how to do that?

ted
01-01-2009, 09:22 PM
The only way I know of is to re-rener those clipe into individual clips.

Tony R
01-01-2009, 10:21 PM
I would razor them where you want to break them up (find the spot and press "C"). Then, right click each and select render (or render selected) and that will output them to a new clip.

Tony

ScorpioProd
01-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Though note that any render from a lossy format like DV or HDV to another lossy format like DV or HDV will result in lost quality.

Only NLEs that have smart rendering don't have this problem. SpeedEDIT doesn't have smart rendering.

So if you want to preserve the maximum quality, and you are going to do your editing in SpeedEDIT, just create instances for the individual clips.

You do this by cutting up your clip, go ahead and rename the individual cut up sections, then simply drag them to a file bin and use them later.

Note that you can't delete the full clip though, since the instances are merely pointers with in/out points and effects.

Seattle-HotShot
01-02-2009, 01:04 AM
I agree with Eugene here. You're better off doing as he says.

or... if you do intend to dump the original clips, render out to an uncompressed format, to retain the original quality. I do a lot with Newtek's HQ codec, which is ok, but I believe it was Eugene that pointed out that HQ had some color shift issues too. So test before you get to far into it.

I think I understand your situation though, you want to save some shorter clips, and you've already captured the long clip, like a tape at a time, etc. That's kind of how I work.

Hope that helps?
Carlin in Seattle

ScorpioProd
01-02-2009, 03:38 AM
The color shift was when trying to use SpeedHQ in another NLE. If you are only going to use the clips in SpeedEDIT, it should be fine. Though I agree, testing the first time is always a good thing in anything.:)

billmi
01-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Do you really need them as separate files on your computer for use in another application, or do you want to edit with them as if they were separate clips.

If you need them as separate files, then do as mentioned above, razor cut the clips, and right-click on them to render them individually.

However, if you are just cutting them up to edit them in SpeedEdit, there is no need to render. When you cut up the clip, you are creating new instances of the same clip. Although they look like separate clips in the SpeedEdit interface, they really just refer to the one large video clip on your hard drive. You can then just drag all of these instances into one of your Add Media windows to save them, and then use them to edit as if they were separate clips. I've found this workflow (capture one clip, then cut and save the instances) to save me significant time over batch-capturing, as it eliminates the jog-shuttle time of a tape mechanism.

Seattle-HotShot
01-03-2009, 12:07 AM
Hey Bill,
thats the way I typically work too, just capture each tape in one shot, then cut on the time line. hard drives are cheap now right?

On the other hand, then if I do see one little segment I'd like to save for future work, and want to clear the rest of the project, that's when I'd render out a real clip.

think we're on the same page here :)
Carlin