PDA

View Full Version : Boolean Question

kirkeric
01-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Hello,

I've gone through this boolean tutorial a dozen times with limited success. Sometimes, I can boolean an object (cutter) from another and sometimes it doesn't do anything. I am sure this is something simple but the totorial always leaves out a couple keystrokes.

So, say I make a ball, run a cylinder through it and want to use the cylinder as a cutter. In normal boolean, I leave ball in foreground, cutter in background, hit boolean and ...well...nothing. :)

Also, the tutorial always uses some keystroke for like what I would normally use CTRL A for "select all" in windows. In the same tutorial, the guy always does some quick click action to select all on the cutter object.

Thanks,

Eric

zapper1998
01-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Box layer 1
Sphere layer 2 [cutter]
move sphere half way threw box.
box in fg [foreground], sphere in bg [background]
shift + b [for Boolean - subtract ]
then, shift + " , For select all, I always use point mode, then, m, for merge all points

then you are done..
there are few tricks here and there..

Michael

JeffrySG
01-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Check out these vids too:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/Boolean_vs.mov

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/Drill.mov

kirkeric
01-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Jeffry,

Thanks. I have these. The boolean one is the one I've watched so many times but for some reason, it would only work once in a while. I think I have it figured out now.

Although, still trying to figure out how to make a hole with the object appearing solid. In other words, I take my ball and using a cylinder, I cut a hole right dead through the center. Instead of it appearing like a tunnel, it appears as two holes, one on either side. So essentially, I can peer inside the ball. Is there a way to just cut a hole so the it has walls going through as well?

Thanks,
Eric

Check out these vids too:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/Boolean_vs.mov

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/Drill.mov

RudySchneider
01-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Sure there is! Part of the trick is how you subtract the disk from your ball. And whenever you do boolean operations, don't assume that a simple "merge points" afterwards is enough. You should probably check to make sure that points that were supposed to be merged actually did so.

BTW, I cleaned up the edges of this hole with Rounder.

kirkeric
01-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Hey Thanks!

That is nice looking. I haven't gotten too familiar yet with rounder. I need to do that. I toyed with it the other day, now I can't even remember where it IS. :)

Eric

Sure there is! Part of the trick is how you subtract the disk from your ball. And whenever you do boolean operations, don't assume that a simple "merge points" afterwards is enough. You should probably check to make sure that points that were supposed to be merged actually did so.

BTW, I cleaned up the edges of this hole with Rounder.

JeffrySG
01-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Jeffry,

Thanks. I have these. The boolean one is the one I've watched so many times but for some reason, it would only work once in a while. I think I have it figured out now.

Although, still trying to figure out how to make a hole with the object appearing solid. In other words, I take my ball and using a cylinder, I cut a hole right dead through the center. Instead of it appearing like a tunnel, it appears as two holes, one on either side. So essentially, I can peer inside the ball. Is there a way to just cut a hole so the it has walls going through as well?

Thanks,
Eric

If you do a Boolean subtract that is what should happen. Meaning that you should get a sphere with a 'tunnel' though it.

create a sphere in layer 1 and cylinder in layer 2 (in background)

run Boolean subtract

merge points (if you want)

If you are still having problems you should post some pictures for us to see.