PDA

View Full Version : Weight map rigging

skywalker113
01-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Is there a way to make weight maps for one side of body, such as the left arm and leg, and mirrior it to the other side with a diffrent weight name? So you dont have to repeat making the weight maps.

Also, can you animate one leg walking and duplicate the motion to the other side to make a walk cycle?

geothefaust
01-01-2009, 01:01 PM
For your weight map question, I don't know if the is the best way, but it's worked for me so far.

I just turn on symmetry, select the area and set your weights. Name the weight to something like "LT_Arm" or "RT_Arm". Then turn of symmetry and deselect one side and subtract it from the current map. Now weight it and name it accordingly. All done!

It's a lot of steps, but, it's the only one I can think of.

metahumanity
01-01-2009, 01:55 PM
I~m pretty sure there was a plug called "mirror weights" for exatly that. Can~t eem to find it on flay now, though.

Is there a way to make weight maps for one side of body, such as the left arm and leg, and mirrior it to the other side with a diffrent weight name? So you dont have to repeat making the weight maps.

Also, can you animate one leg walking and duplicate the motion to the other side to make a walk cycle?

Carm3D
01-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Let me tell you what I do... I turn on symmetry and create a weight map for both upper arms. Then in the next weight map I create a weight map that contains both lower arms and lower legs. Then a seperate weight map for each thigh.

I assign my upper arm bones to the upper arm weight map. The two upper arms are so far away from eachother one arm will not have a noticable effect on the other arm even though they are sharing the same weight map. Dig?

I do start the thighs with one map using symmetry. Then I can pick all of the points on one side and use "Copy Map" (in the vertex editor) and make the new map with a _L or _R at the end of it.

If your legs are spread slightly, these are all the maps you'll need to make:

Torso (including neck)
Head
Arm_Upper
Limb_Lower
Thigh_R
Thigh_L
Hands
5 Fingers (5 Seperate map for each)
Feet
...and then whatever you'll need for facial stuff.

Now.. If you are ready for it.. I will give you one more tip.. Slightly unrelated.

Occasionally when I am rigging / weighting I find that certain parts of my rig do not behave like I would choose. And if I had my wish I would like just that one part of my rig to behave as if there were NO weightmaps on any of my bones. So how do I do that??

Here's how.. Let us say the transition from the bottom of the jaw to the neck is not behaving nicely and I would like to cancel out the effects of the weightmaps there. I have a muscle bone going up the front of the neck and another bone going from the top of the "Neck-Front" bone to the chin (along the base of the jaw). The neck bone is using the torso map and the jaw bone is using the head map.

I add a child bone to each bone. "Neck-Front-Sup" (Support) and "Jaw-Base-Sup". Then I zero out the Z positions on each so they are in the same place as their parents. Then I assign the "Neck-Front-Sup" Bone to the head's weightmap, and the "Jaw-Base-Sup" bone is assigned to the torso map. Then rest the bones and hide/lock them via the scene editor. Bingo-bango. Your Neck-Front and Jaw-Base bones play off of eachother as if there are no weight maps in the area.

Cool huh!

RebelHill
01-01-2009, 04:20 PM
im sure there was a free plugin somewhere that did this... a Fi, or Tim Albee maybe... flay it!

Carm3D
01-01-2009, 10:12 PM
im sure there was a free plugin somewhere that did this... a Fi, or Tim Albee maybe... flay it!

That did what, exactly?

hrgiger
01-02-2009, 04:12 AM
That did what, exactly?

Mirror weights. And it's too bad we need one. We should be able to do this already in Lightwave.

toonafish
01-02-2009, 05:55 AM
Vertex paint ?

colkai
01-02-2009, 07:35 AM
Kung Fu tools from David Ikeda may do it
http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=2043

Tim Albee also has some stuff:
http://loupguru.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_11

LW_Will
01-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Actually, I make just 5 maps for the entire character, Left_Leg, Right_Leg, Torso, Head & Neck and Both Arms. Match the maps, no intersecting, and Weight Map Blur the hell out of them.

Works like a charm every time.

colkai
01-03-2009, 05:12 AM
Admittedly, when I was doing stuff for the Shirow Project, I did the same thing. :)

geothefaust
01-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Kung Fu tools from David Ikeda may do it
http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=2043

I just realized that name sounded familiar. David Ikeda is a programmer at Newtek.

geothefaust
01-06-2009, 01:09 AM
Hey all, does anyone have a few pointers on vertex paint? Use it? Don't use it? It looks cool for testing deformations, but I can't stand skelegons, and it seems to create a weight map for each bone? I did a search to see if anything would come up. No luck though.

LW_Will
01-06-2009, 03:26 PM
I thought that using Vertex Paint was okay, but simplifying the weight maps seemed to work the best for me.

YAMMV.

Will

geothefaust
01-06-2009, 03:42 PM
I messed around with vertex paint a bit, but I do not like skelegons. I thought it might be a handy tool to have at my disposal but it seems more cumbersome then just selecting points or polys and weighting them, and then blurring the weight maps.

I hope one day we can have a weight painting tool that works in the native viewports, ala Blender or XSI.

Castius
01-06-2009, 03:53 PM
I love vertex paint when i was doing game work. But it's not as useful unless you are using "weight map only" in layout.