PDA

View Full Version : Guns and Hoses

Richard Hebert
12-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Hi Everyone,

Still have this sticking creative issue. The hose on this jet pilot is needing some expert advice or creative tips. I'm trying to keep the hose going into the mask from sagging at a sharp angle. In short, I'm trying to keep some of the original modeled curve when applying dynamics to the hose. I've tried numerous avenues including Weight Maps to just about every attribute of cloth dynamics to no avail. I know this can be done but the process is eluding me. I've got about 2 days of trial and error in on this one. Any input is fine with me. I was considering using bones in the hose but thought that it would conflict with the dynamics.

Richard

UnCommonGrafx
12-31-2008, 06:32 AM
Try it with a morph under the dynamics.

And after looking at the pic, I would say that the structure of the hose leading in would have to have some type of strengthening in the section that comes out of the mask; this would assist the hose in not collapsing.

To that end, the upper part of the tube could work with 5 to 15% on the weight map with the part below (the dark grid line) set up to 85% or so. In the dynamics tab I would play with this weightmap in some of the settings on the first tab of clothfx as you can get some nicely focused action through their use.

vpii
12-31-2008, 07:56 AM
Worley Hoser plugin looks like it would be perfect for this.

Richard Hebert
12-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Thanks, I'll try the weight option again using your tips to see if that helps.

Richard Hebert
12-31-2008, 10:15 AM
It just occurred to me that the weight map was applied to a low resolution 2 point poly chain for the dynamics. I was using William's 'Hose' tutorial to set up the animation. I'll probably have to use a map on the high res. model. Calculations on that object take forever.

Richard Hebert
12-31-2008, 11:03 AM
When creating a weight map for the hose, what attribute does it plugged in to in the cloth dynamics tab? If I use a weight map with values other than 100% in the 'Fix' attribute, all point values are treated as 100% values regardless of actual values.

Richard Hebert
12-31-2008, 11:35 PM
I worked with the bone weight map a bit and rendered out this two sec. test animation. The hose tears apart a little near the mask at frame 11. Would more geometry in this area help? I'm trying to avoid using any more 'hold structure' in the cloth dynamics as this will start making the hose too stiff. As always, open to further recommendations. Couldn't have made it this far without everybody's help or input. Thanks goes out to all of you.

Richard

UnCommonGrafx
01-01-2009, 09:46 AM
haha, that'S a cool little mistake: looks like the dynamics are causing it to over shoot at that area.

What I see you have there is an errant point or two that have their values closer to 100 than the 0 they need to be. Is that where the dynamics are allowed to process the hose? Looks to be at that juncture the map isn't smooth. That is to say, the points above that juncture are not in your map; they need to be and at zero in your map.

Thanks for the fun.

Richard Hebert
01-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Are dynamic weight maps 'all or nothing' maps? I have weight values of .5% for dynamics but the calculation shows the point having no movement at all. When I put the value back to zero then naturally I get dynamics back in that area. I'm putting that map into the 'Fix' attribute and may be the cause of all my woes. When using weight maps to control the shape with dynamics, which attribute would you recommend using that map? I've tried all the attributes in cloth dynamics but to no avail unless I overlooked something... which is entirely possible. Thanks again. BTW...Happy New Year!

Richard

Ztreem
01-03-2009, 04:59 AM
First of all when using a weight map for the fix value it's only works like on or off there's no inbetween. I would make a weight map that is 100% where you want it stiff and 0% where you want it loose and use it for the hold in the dynamics properties.

Richard Hebert
01-03-2009, 05:14 AM
Thanks Ztreem,

That's going to help a lot when I finish the new mask/hose assembly. Happy new year.

Richard