PDA

View Full Version : to cache or not to cache...my raid

JFinks
08-10-2003, 01:10 PM
I'm using the escalade 7500-8 currently with 5 IBM GXP180 120GB drives with 8mb of cache. I currently have the raid in the escalade set up with a 1mb write back cache. This has always tested out as the fast with the calabration tool. BUT I cannot capture more than 2 minutes of uncommpressed footage at a time. I can capture DV to my hearts content. On playback thought the DV hicup every minute or two. The mother board i have has a s-ata raid built in, would i get beter performance buy getting the ata to s-ata adaptor and using it?

At this point all sugestion and advise would be greatly appreciated

Jack

wvp
08-10-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by JFinks
... I currently have the raid in the escalade set up with a 1mb write back cache. ...
Jack

Are you using the Escalade's raid setup? IF so, you should change this and use windows disk manangement to set up the raid.
Previous posts here have talked about how hardware raid controllers are designed for burst speed, which you do not want - you want throughput speed.
Warning: I think you will have to reformatt the drives to do this!

Pete Draves
08-10-2003, 06:56 PM
all of out esclade raids set up in 64 bit pci slots
with 4 drive or 8 drive set up as the default settings on the esclade setup with stock settings are outperforming the win 2000 os raid by quite a bit.
I don't know why.
but they work no droped frames ,even with the drives only having 10 meg of free space left.
no playback problems at all.
the units are used on VT3, Digisuite and targa 3000

Pete

PIZAZZ
08-10-2003, 10:06 PM
I would suggest contacting your dealer. That is if you bought the system from a Newtek dealer.

If not, then I am sure we can figure out something.

I use 4 Western Digital Drives 8meg cache and get 115 megs consistently. No problems dropping or stalling with it.

Could be those IBM drives. I know I won't ever buy another IBM drive after the 76gig IDE fiasco.

my thoughts

JFinks
08-12-2003, 12:27 AM
The ibm's used to be the monster drives. OK lets start with some basics.
Mother board: Asu P4C800/ P4 2.4/ 1GB ram
Toaster is in the 1st pci slot
Escalade is in the 3rd slot
Nic is in the 5th slot

When setting up the raid in the escalade i'm using a strip (0) with 1mb of writeback cache.

What raid type and cache settings are you guys using?

Jack

Pete Draves
08-12-2003, 03:24 PM
using the following settings:

Raid 0
64k block
no write back cash
speed the best

these are the default for raid 0

On your motherboard the 3ware card runs at 32 bit and should work well as a two stream raid .
If more speed is needed you wil have to go to a 64 bit motherboard. See specs on newtek listings.

Your config will work fine for dv and limited uncompressed

Pete