PDA

View Full Version : Edit node on multiple surfaces

MUCUS
12-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Hi all!

I'm actually working on a scene with many surfaces and have to put occlusion shader on every surfaces (same occlusion setup for each surfaces)...currently I'm coping the node, go to the other surface, open node editor, paste and plug the node, then again for all the surfaces :thumbsdow

Is there a way to do a massive editing for all surfaces?

MUCUS
12-29-2008, 08:06 PM
(Well, I mean not copy all the surfaces attributes but only the nodal setup)

Red_Oddity
12-30-2008, 04:45 AM
Nope, welcome to the nr 1 design flaw in the node workflow of LW (every surface and item is still as oblivious to other surfaces and items in your scene as the layer surface system was)

Only thing you can do is copy paste the node or export import part of the node flow.

Matt
12-30-2008, 05:12 AM
Hi all!

I'm actually working on a scene with many surfaces and have to put occlusion shader on every surfaces (same occlusion setup for each surfaces)...currently I'm coping the node, go to the other surface, open node editor, paste and plug the node, then again for all the surfaces :thumbsdow

Is there a way to do a massive editing for all surfaces?

You need to talk to Mike Wolf!

MUCUS
12-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Thank you oddity, sadly that was what I was thinking...it's curious that a so "logical" thing had been forgotten no? Anyway, I'd really like to know if Newtek are thinking about this function :)

Matt, why are you saying that, is he working on that currently? :)

Lightwolf
12-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Matt, why are you saying that, is he working on that currently? :)
Something like it, yes. In your case it would likely only make sense if you want to render out a separate occlusion pass though (unfortunately there are some SDK limitations).

:phone_cal Matt :twak: ;)

Cheers,
Mike

MUCUS
12-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Thank you for answering in person Mike (this is a really great forum! :) ) Well I have to follow your site update with great care now :)

(Then, concerning the occlusion pass, it will be sooooo easier to do it by adding a simple pixel filter for example, without having to edit each surface...but I don't think there is a way to do that actually?)

Lightwolf
12-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Thank you for answering in person Mike (this is a really great forum! :) ) Well I have to follow your site update with great care now :)
We'll be posting an announcement here as well. Then again, it won't hurt to grab our RSS feed either ;)

(Then, concerning the occlusion pass, it will be sooooo easier to do it by adding a simple pixel filter for example, without having to edit each surface...but I don't think there is a way to do that actually?)
Actually, it could be. What I've got in development is slightly different though.

Cheers,
Mike

P.S. Look at my number of posts... you're very likely to find a thread that I post in over here :D

othornton
01-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Perhaps Pomfried's Get/Store Material node can help solve this problem for you. You can download it from the db&w link in Lightwolf's sig, so it turns out Lightwolf (by kindly hosting the download and providing the link) may be able to help right now!

Tobian
01-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Not sure if it works.. but try the http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~goetsch/AmbOccNode/ node.. it has a 'copy to all instances' setting. Plus I find this to be the best occlusion node anyway! :)

gerardstrada
01-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Yep. SG_AmbOcc (node and shader) can copy parameters to all instances automatically. It has also a Pixel Filter for exporting a separate occ pass in a single render (the shader needs to be applied on surfaces).

There's a PixelFilter called tibe3_PixelNode (http://www.splotchdog.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=50&Itemid=39) which works in the way you mention, but it has still some bugs.

The idea of Othornton is viable too.

Gerardo

Captain Obvious
01-02-2009, 11:37 PM
I make heavy use of Pomfried's get/store nodes, partly because a single node tree can only be 64 kB in size. My node trees often grow to such a size that the LWO can't be saved anymore, and I have to split up the tree into several different surfaces, using get/store.

It mostly works fine, but there are several caveats:

*Copying and pasting: You can copy and paste a surface (or collection of nodes) that only has loader nodes, but copying and pasting a Store node will often break the whole thing, forcing you to re-add every single store and get material node on the same object. Sometimes the whole scene.

*Loading/storing between different LWOs usually works fine, but if an object with a Load Material node is ever loaded without the Store Material node in the scene, it will break.

*Modeler breaks it, and usually crashes as soon as the surface editor tries to render the preview ball.

*Presets (and saved surfaces) do not work at all.

Matt
01-03-2009, 12:02 AM
:phone_cal Matt :twak: ;)

Sorry about that Mike! Kinda landed that one on you! ;)