PDA

View Full Version : As I missing something here? (starting LScript)

Verminity
08-10-2003, 12:13 PM
Hi,

I'm a resonably experienced programmer in a variety of languages, but I'm trying to get started on LScript and I'm finding it very hard going.

I've been reading through the Inside Lightwave 6 chapter on Lscripting and I have some questions.

Firstly I'm using lightwave 6.5b and I can't seem to find the IDE anywhere. Is there a download for it because I can't find it on the CD, the upgrade or the Newtek website.

And secondly I've downloaded the user guide and the reference in pdf format off the website and they don't seem to cover very many functions - for example one function which I know exists, getfirstitem(), doesn't seem to be mentioned in either file -- is there some proper documentation that I'm missing.

The only other file I have is a readme with some small notes in it. This was inside the on-line help folder in the Lightwave install -- the book says that there should be full instructions in HTML.

Thanks for any help, I hope I'm being really stupid here because I can't even get started, yet alone actually code anything.

Martin

fxnut
08-14-2003, 07:30 PM
Martin,

Yep, you're not the only one who's confused here! I'm in the same boat as you are. I'm fairly familiar with the SDK and would regard myself as an experienced programmer, and I've also just started looking at Lscript.

Incidentally, I've just replied to someone in another thread who seems to be able to do all sorts of stuff in LScript that I can't - and vice versa interestingly! (see the thread here (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9336) )

Sorry but I've gotta say; the so-called 'Reference' manual is the sorriest excuse I've ever seen for a reference manual. Just try finding a complete list of compiler directives in it! Or information on command sequences! Now okay, there is a fairly comprehensive list of object agents, but I can't help but get the feeling that there's a huge amount of information missing. Not exactly great for using as reference! A reference manual should have EVERYTHING in it, that's why it's called a reference manual, cause it should be the first place to refer to if you need information.

I've seen the "LScriptv22.html", "LScriptv23.html", and "LScriptv24.html" documents in the Online_Docs folder, but it really doesn't make it easy for people starting LScripting. It's hard enough to learn a new API, let alone have to search numerous documentation to have to find information on basic functionality.

Sorry, this is turning into a major whinge here! But I really don't think Newtek are doing themselves any favours. LScript is a great system, but the lack of clear concise documentation is really p*ssing me off!

Any comments from Newtek (or anyone else) on this would be appreciated on where we can find all the necessary information.

Is this situation being rectified for LW 8?

(Incidentally, I notice I'm running LScript V2.5, but there wasn't any update information for V2.5 in the Online_Docs directory, any ideas where I can get the info from? )

@Martin

If your trying to find the LScript Editor, have a look in the Programs folder, it's called LSED.exe, and the interface editor is called LSID.exe.

Regards

Andy

Verminity
08-15-2003, 02:13 AM
Thanks for your reply.

After about another day or so of hacking around I finally managed to get a script that kinda does what I want it to (It allows you to render sequencal frames of a scene with different anti-alias settings for comparison, if anyone is interested then I'll post it up, though it is not as useful as I would have liked it to be because of limitations with LScript regarding outputting files)

I think I'm finally getting my head around it, but I still need a good reference manual I find that I'm using Lightwave-Outpost.com and the user manual for everything, the reference manual hardly contains anything.

Maybe it would be worth setting something up like the manual on php.net where users can post code snippets for each function. I would seriously do this, but without a list of functions to start with it would be hard to set up. Which we would need a decent reference manual for.....

If there is a demand for a good community site for LScript where people can post code and tips and we could build a comprehensive manual then I'd be interested in setting that up. But only if there are enough LScript users out there to warrant it, judging by the amount of information already out there I'd guess not -- what does everyone think?

Finally, yes thanks, I found the IDE shortly after posting, but I didn't really like it so I ended up with notepad...

Martin

fxnut
08-15-2003, 05:38 AM
Martin,

Yeah! Lol, I prefer notepad too! :) Well, actually I use Crimson Editor now instead of notepad - it's got loads of handy tools like syntax hilighting, and regExp search and replace etc, plus it's free!

I think it's a fantastic idea about setting up an online LScript manual. If it were publicised enough, I reckon you'd get enough response. I also think (hope) that Newtek would be quite happy to assist you. I'd love to help as well, but I'm completely snowed under with work at the moment. I'd be more than happy to host it on my website though.

I think it'd be a difficult system to set up (use Php and MySql maybe?), cause you'd have to allow people the ability to alter and revise documentation if it were found to be erroneous.

Hmm... maybe it could just be done at a really simple level. i.e. You just give the user the option to "Add command description" or "Add syntax description" and then make them choose a sub-category e.g. "Lights", "Object" etc. If a command is added more than once then each entry just appears beneath the previous. Almost like a forum thread.

I reckon that even this sort of system would take a fair bit to manage it, and construct. I'd be happy to help out though if I can spare the time.

Regards

Andy

Verminity
08-15-2003, 05:59 AM
Thanks for your offer of help, I'll certainly keep you informed.

The more I have been thinking about this today the more I think it would be a good idea.

I've started a thread in the community forum

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9599

to see if there is support for this. Please anyone post any replies in that thread instead.

faulknermano
08-15-2003, 08:13 AM
i use PFE. smart-tabbing is a must. :)