PDA

View Full Version : Cyclist to drive morphs

kosmodave
12-27-2008, 03:03 PM
Hi everyone, I have a mechanical object rigged with bones that moves through a complex sequence of movements during it's operation. I have successfully got the sequence operating using a single null that is being targeted by the cyclist motion modifier applied to all the bones. This works very well and I am even driving the null with a single slider so that with one movement of the slider I get a whole sequence of arms and hydraulic rams moving in the correct sequence.
The problem that I have is that I also have two morphs that I need to execute at the same time and being a lazy git I would like them to execute off of the same single slider that is operating the other parts. Is there a way to drive the morphs using cyclist or the single slider that I already have set up?
Thank you in advance..
Dave.
ps. Sorry, I can't show object as I am under NDA for this project.

Nangleator
01-02-2009, 07:27 AM
There's a "cycler" motion modifier in the Graph Editor. Perhaps that's what you're looking for.

Andyjaggy
01-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Yep use the cyclist in the graph editor, you can control any parameters that can be enveloped that way. :)

I had to do this a week or so ago, and it worked great, I had to save my scene and reload it to be able to see the effect in OGL though, not sure if that was a bug or a one time fluke.

kosmodave
01-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Thank you both for these replies, I will take a look at this over the weekend. I am realy enjoying using cyclist to animate as for a lazy person like me being able to control multiple movements with just one controller is a real joy.:thumbsup:

Andyjaggy
01-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Yeah it's my new favorite toy as well. At first I wasn't terribly excited about it as it seemed all you could do was control basic translations, then when I realized there was a graph editor version that would work with envelopes I got really excited. It's a great way to set up your animations.

kosmodave
01-03-2009, 02:57 AM
:dance: Joy, Yes it was really easy to set up in the end using the graph editor. The cycler/cyclist tool just keeps getting better and better. Thanks once again for the heads up re. the graph editor option.
Dave.

Nangleator
01-03-2009, 10:22 AM
I've often toyed with the idea of just building a really complex, kooky machine to operate with just a null. Just for fun.

It's a cool toy.