PDA

View Full Version : Just recorded something to build on...

Cageman
12-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Yeah...

Finaly, after a couple of months of dry ideas I came up with this (ftp://FTP_PlayingInstruments:[email protected]:21/Metal03_Fifth_Chapter_WIP_08-12-26_23.01.mp3) (3.85MB), which is a continuation of my instrumental progressive metal song...anyhow... The idea, which is still very much a work in progress and this is just the "groundwork", is to create a sense of horror movie music, but with metal in mind.

It starts with the synths fading out from the previous chapter (this is chapter 5 btw) and the horrormovie music fades in (guitars) and then the comp-guitars + drums slams in (drums are very much wip). Oh.. and I play every instrument for real...

Anyhow... listen to it. I like the groove in it. :) Use earphones if you can, since the drums (and the wip mix) sounds better in earphones compared to speakers.

Merry X-mas and a Happy New Year...

Cheers!

/Mikael

Matt
12-27-2008, 05:23 AM
Not bad, like the drums and grungy guitar!

I know what you mean about dry ideas! I love making music but find it the most challenging of my creative pursuits. It's almost like I have to 'build up' creative energy for it!

Otherwise I get a beat and a bass in there and then totally run out of ideas as to what to do next!

:D

Cageman
12-27-2008, 08:52 AM
Not bad, like the drums and grungy guitar!

I know what you mean about dry ideas! I love making music but find it the most challenging of my creative pursuits. It's almost like I have to 'build up' creative energy for it!

Otherwise I get a beat and a bass in there and then totally run out of ideas as to what to do next!

Thanks... :)

A serious showstopper for me now is that fact that I get alot of noise now when I record the guitars. It wasn't there earlier today or yesterday and now it has started again. It's clear that it is some kind of interference, and I believe that it comes from a neighbour. I've had a couple of days without this interference, and before christmas holidays I've had similar problems. Let's hope that it's gone in the middle of the night, because I have soo many ideas that needs to be re-recorded without that noise. *lol*

Btw.. do you have anything online that I can listen to?

Cheers!

Matt
12-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Btw.. do you have anything online that I can listen to?

Only one amateur effort!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5XjNSepZME

Cageman
12-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Only one amateur effort!

Cool! Sounds good!

How did you do the video? Is it a screensaver that you captured or did you play with LW? :)

Cageman
12-27-2008, 12:55 PM
Sooo...

I've done some updates, but still alot of work to make it where I want it... and the fact that I have interference right now doesn't help... :/ *damn*

Anyhow... the beginning is still the same but there are some new riffs in this one (some crazy stuff, actually) that I recored yesterday. I'm still not happy with the drums on some parts, but those are tricky riffs to play to and to get what I'm after will require some more practising. :) The last riff has the rythm aspects nailed down, but not nessecarily the correct notes. (and the drums are way to strong in this one).

Listen here! (ftp://FTP_PlayingInstruments:[email protected]:21/Metal03_Fifth_Chapter_WIP_08-12-27_20.30.mp3) [5.94MB]

:santa:

Matt
12-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Cool! Sounds good!

How did you do the video? Is it a screensaver that you captured or did you play with LW? :)

I just screen captured the iTunes visualiser, and put them together.

Cageman
12-27-2008, 05:19 PM
I just screen captured the iTunes visualiser, and put them together.

Haha... cool! :) It looks really cool and fits the music very well!

Cageman
12-29-2008, 06:44 AM
Ok...

Some updates.... playing with some strings in the beginning but right now it doesn't really have that eerie feeling to it. The last riff from the previous update has really got some awesome improvements (really!). That's probably the one that got most attention this time around.

:)

Listen here! (ftp://FTP_PlayingInstruments:[email protected]n.dyndns.org:21/Metal03_Fifth_Chapter_WIP_08-12-29_14.10.mp3) (7.47MB)

The stuff I use:

Drums (http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=925&ParentId=60) but with a TD-6V (http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=620) drum-module instead of TD-9.

The guitar I use is an old Falcon (17 years old) that looks like a Fender Stratocaster, but obviously hell of a lot cheaper. :D I have it hooked up to a Line6 PocketPOD. (http://line6.com/pocketpod/)

I use Cubase (http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/musicproduction/cubaseessential4_product.html) for all the recording and Renoise (http://www.renoise.com/) for creating synths or strings that I then transfer to Cubase as wav-samples.

Cheers!

Hopper
12-29-2008, 12:17 PM
That sounds really cool Cageman. It has a little Rush/YYZ flavor to it.

We should do one of those "joint effort" songs where we start out with a base line and melody and everyone adds a piece to it. Might be fun.

I bought the upgrade to Nuendo 4 and it pretty much barfs on my machine and they won't give me my money back. Really pissed me off. I'm using a Layla 24 for my A/D box and it works outstandingly with everything I have EXCEPT Nuendo. Grrrrrr...

Cageman
12-29-2008, 12:31 PM
That sounds really cool Cageman. It has a little Rush/YYZ flavor to it.

Hey..thanks! :) yeah... I've heard some others saying that my music sounds like a mixture of Rush, Meshuggah and Primus. *lol*. I don't mind that at all... :D

We should do one of those "joint effort" songs where we start out with a base line and melody and everyone adds a piece to it. Might be fun.

Yeah...that would be really cool. I'm on! :)

I bought the upgrade to Nuendo 4 and it pretty much barfs on my machine and they won't give me my money back. Really pissed me off. I'm using a Layla 24 for my A/D box and it works outstandingly with everything I have EXCEPT Nuendo. Grrrrrr...

Hmm... sorry if I may be somewhat a newbie on all this, but what is an A/D box? Layla 24 seems to be a nice thing though.

Cheers!

Hopper
12-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Hmm... sorry if I may be somewhat a newbie on all this, but what is an A/D box? Layla 24 seems to be a nice thing though.
Cheers!
A/D = Analog to Digital converter. Basically just another box to put all your inputs into, then sends to the PCI card in digital format. Your recording software then sees each channel as an input for multichannel recording. It makes it easier when you have a lot of sources to record - you don't have to constantly plug and unplug stuff. I've got it plugged into the patch panel so I can punch in rack effects for any input, etc... Synth through a Tube Screamer is kinda fun! :D

moremetall
12-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Cool, any plans for adding song ?

One thing , the snear could use less room, mer distingt i tillslaget och mindre efterklang / rum (sorry for the Swedish)...lyssnar på bärbar just nu så jag kan ha fel...

Cageman
12-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Cool, any plans for adding song ?

One thing , the snear could use less room, mer distingt i tillslaget och mindre efterklang / rum (sorry for the Swedish)...lyssnar på bärbar just nu så jag kan ha fel...

Thanks!

Yeah... the problem with the drumsounds are that they are designed to be used with earphones and they are internaly mixed in my drum-module. I do record the drums as MIDI so I could change them to something more suitable for real production, such as Drumkit from Hell or EasyDrummer. I don't have any of those, so I play back the drums through MIDI and record a single stereo wav captured from the output on my drum-module. In order to adjust things I would have to record each drum (snare, basdrumm etc) to individual tracks and then do some mixingwork.

Too much of a hassle since I'm far from finished. :)

About song:

No...first of all, I can't sing... :) and secondly, I don't have equipment to record vocals, and thirdly... I really like instrumental music. :D

moremetall
12-29-2008, 01:17 PM
I always have problem with drums for my projects, think you did them very good!! I use Addictive drums trigged by midi to be able to get the sound I like. ( have to add, I'm not a drummer , guitar is my game , fort fel och mycket)

Cageman
12-29-2008, 01:20 PM
I always have problem with drums for my projects, think you did them very good!! I use Addictive drums trigged by midi to be able to get the sound I like.

Thanks! :)

I play the drums for real.. that is, imho, a huge difference from programmed drums (if,you don't want to spend ages on programming them to sound more "human" that is).

Cageman
12-29-2008, 01:22 PM
By the way...

If you have some music that you've done, please post! Would love to hear what other LW-artists are doing!

Cheers!

prometheus
12-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Well I really cant comment much about this metal score from you cageman, except that you seem to know how to play the guitar.

I myself have never been into metal music, my kind of liking goes in to
music in the style of Peter Gabriel, and Brian Eno,U2,kate bush, daniel lanois..and composers more adapted towards filmscores I would say
john carpenter, giorgo moroder..very syntish..james horner, elliott goldsmith, john williams,thomas newman.

I have my old Roland D50 lying here collecting dust since years ago
and some soundfonts to play with, have to hook it up if I ever get the time
to do so.

I have an roland R8 human rythm composer lying here aswell, but intend to sell it and use soundfont beats instead.

So this piece you made cageman, is it suppose to be a Scary soundtrack ? what´s the story behind that if you can tell us?

Michael

Cageman
12-29-2008, 06:06 PM
Well I really cant comment much about this metal score from you cageman, except that you seem to know how to play the guitar.

That is an illusion. I'm a drummer who TRIES to play guitar in order to make something challenging to drum to.... :)

I myself have never been into metal music, my kind of liking goes in to
music in the style of Peter Gabriel, and Brian Eno,U2,kate bush, daniel lanois..and composers more adapted towards filmscores I would say
john carpenter, giorgo moroder..very syntish..james horner, elliott goldsmith, john williams,thomas newman.

Those are all very good music writers whom I pick up influences from. Though, my main source of influence is life itself. I seldom listen to music, and if I do, it is mostly fusion or metal in the form of Meshuggah (and that can be heard in my music). :)

I have my old Roland D50 lying here collecting dust since years ago
and some soundfonts to play with, have to hook it up if I ever get the time
to do so.

DO IT! Writing and playing music is really relaxing (depends on how you see it). The problem is that once you get something you like, you want to keep doing it, finalizing it... and that may end up being bad for the health, since you will not sleep or listen to your body signals... :D

I have an roland R8 human rythm composer lying here aswell, but intend to sell it and use soundfont beats instead.

Whatever fits your bill best... but make sure you get creative with music! It WILL help you engage other parts of your brain compared to using LW, Houdini etc. It's really a great experience!

So this piece you made cageman, is it suppose to be a Scary soundtrack ? what´s the story behind that if you can tell us?

Michael

Well... when I first came about making this continuation of my large instrumental progressive metal-track (which is about 14 minutes long now btw) I had this eerie feeling that I wanted to try to communicate through those guitar-notes that are faded in when the track starts. But now, with all the stuff that has been created since then (with the initial thought of "scary/horror" as a way to spring new ideas), I would say that it's more moving into something elusive. Let me explain by simply typing in some key-moments from the timeline: (this is based on my latest update)

00:00 - 01:37

Something bad is going on... you really don't know what it is, but it is getting stronger... On the other hand, there is something good going on as well...it's.. elusive... worrying but not THAT worrying

01:37 - 01:52

Hell breaks loose, but something is figthing it (the rythm-guitars = evil, the "lead" guitars = good, but swaying somewhat).

01:52 - 02:25

This is eerie... You really don't know what is going on... bad/good side has an equal take...

02:25 - 02:40

Hell breaks loose, but something is figthing it (the rythm-guitars = evil, the "lead" guitars = good, but swaying somewhat).

02:40 - 03:06

The bad side (rythm guitars) are struggling to get what they want, but one of the good guys is on the track (the one on the track = "lead guitar" that plays the same rythm as the rythm guitars) while the other one is somewhat confused. The drums are more of a narrator in this and following parts. You get a sense of hope since the rythm guitars are on a "possitive" note...

03:06 - 03:29

The "fight" goes on, and you really get a feeling of hope. The good side will win (as it always does).

03:29 - 03:53

The "bad" side is taking a step back.. clearly, this is something the good side will win.

03:53 - 04:19

Some of the bad guys have switched sides. There is alot more sense of hope now, but there is still a sense of unsecurity...

This isn't really planned, but something I get when listening to it. :)

How will this end?

I don't know. The cool thing about music is that it has a way of forming itself into a body of work that may or may not have been planned straight from the beginning. That is also why I like progressive types of music.. .there are no given "rules"... unlike many things heard on radio...

Hope that answers your question?

*lol*

Cageman
12-29-2008, 06:12 PM
I also would like to add that I really hate music that is written to fit a pattern of "hit music"... Music produced to make money is following a pattern that, sadly, too many people follow these days. Brittney Spears and Spice Girls are perfect examples of that kind of music. *shrug*

DiedonD
12-30-2008, 06:39 AM
Only one amateur effort!

Hey my Chief of Production liked this one. He just passed by while I was listening. I e-mailed him the link :thumbsup:

How is the Original Music Compositor treated over there in Swededn, Mikael?

Here they are TERRIBLY undervaluated. For instance if you were to make a very good original music composition, and wanted to air it, they consider your work as an Adv for your professional name!!!! And want you to pay the airing of the music almost as regular as a real Adv!!

Only those that have names can start earning from it. And nobody cares weather its with or without the Spice Girl style pattern neither sadly.

Its so harsh, my friend that composed the music for my movie and animation says, that theyve even made a joke about it. You wanna hear? Listen:

So the guy goes to the doctor one day and complains that he cant take a crap anymore in the toilet!

So the doctor gives him some pills, that would enable to relieve himself more easily.

But he comes again and says 'Doc I still cant do it!!'

Doc 'Are you sure, cause these seconds ones are VERY strong, you may not even be able to go to your home to do it properly!?'

He says 'Give me whatever you got!'

And the doctor gives him these very strong, Dumb and Dumber, send the guy to the toilet immediately - pills.

But there he comes back again, saying 'Doc, I still cant do it!!'

The doctor now totally surprized starts making a more thorough diagnosis to understand the underlying pill braking problem, with a question:

'What do you do?'

The guy says 'Im an artist...a Music Composer'

Doc 'Bah, why the hell didnt you say so, heres 10 bucks get yourself something to eat first!!!'

Cageman
12-30-2008, 09:17 AM
How is the Original Music Compositor treated over there in Swededn, Mikael?

Hmm... I really don't know... hmm... aside from local radiostations that are more or less broadcasting radio as their hobby, I think it's the same over here. What you can do, though, is to join STIM (I believe you can do that as an individual artist) and whenever a song you've written is aired, you get money for it. But alas, I would say that the metal-branch is somewhat better in terms of highlighting new bands and generally giving kudos to eachother. But metal isn't played much on any radiostation here in Sweden...

I'm doing music as a hobby and I don't see myself trying to do it "for real" so to speak. Over 10 years ago I played in a band that, after I quit, formed a band called Carnal Forge. They put in ALOT of hours into their music, but still can't make a living despite the fact that they have toured Europe, North America and Japan.

Here they are TERRIBLY undervaluated. For instance if you were to make a very good original music composition, and wanted to air it, they consider your work as an Adv for your professional name!!!! And want you to pay the airing of the music almost as regular as a real Adv!!

Yeah... On the other hand (and again, regarding metal) I think that Swedish Radio P3 have (or at least used to have) a Rockshow that also played demos from "unknown" artists. Swedish Radio IS free from commercials and is regarded as Public Service. However, there are other radiostations, such as Mix Megapol, that are financed by commercials. Such radiostations only play hitmusic non-stop because they earn money that way (and by airing commercials).

Only those that have names can start earning from it. And nobody cares weather its with or without the Spice Girl style pattern neither sadly.

That's why we have STIM here in Sweden. But even so, the most popular music takes the biggest slice of the cake. But if you are lucky and write something that gets immensely popular it will be aired and you'll get your STIM-money and your name known without having to pay for it.

Its so harsh, my friend that composed the music for my movie and animation says, that theyve even made a joke about it. You wanna hear?

It's funny because it is true. :/

It always help if you have a record company backing you. As an independent artist it's alot harder because you have to learn what strings to pull and when (that is true whatever type of music you do). Robyn (a swedish artist...female btw) was discovered when she and her band played live in a Swedish talkshow. After that, things just happened... she grew and I think she is or at least was very popular in USA as well. But nowdays she is independent. She has her own label now and only use more established labels to help with distribution (if I'm not misstaken). She was really smart, because she took those first years and really figured out how things worked and then she just f*cked the establishment and now she can do whatever she want with her music.

moremetall
12-30-2008, 10:15 AM
By the way...

If you have some music that you've done, please post! Would love to hear what other LW-artists are doing!

Cheers!

I have one older very ruff thing that I can upload..Not a drummer and used AD out of the box on this on, it's only a test for one idee that I had that did note become anything. (zipped mp3 file)

Cageman
12-30-2008, 10:40 AM
I have one older very ruff thing that I can upload..Not a drummer and used AD out of the box on this on, it's only a test for one idee that I had that did note become anything. (zipped mp3 file)

Really cool!

Speedy stuff indeed... very thrashy. The drums sound really good! I wish I could have some good drum kits on my computer. I'll have too look into this sooner or later.

EDIT: Your riffing sounds very good too. Very tight despite the speed. How long have you been playing guitar?

Anyhow...

Thanks alot for sharing your stuff... looking forward to hear more from you!

Cheers!

moremetall
12-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks , I have been playing :jam: for ...over 23 years off an on (time runns fast :help: )

Cageman
12-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Another update... have been kind of lazy, that's why I haven't updated until now.. :D

Changed the intro quite much (still WIP though)... went away from the horror-theme I initially wanted to do since the rest of the song has moved into another direction, kind of, and to be honest it does fit better. :) Also played little with some of the levels, but I still recommend earphones though. :)

Listen here! (ftp://FTP_PlayingInstruments:[email protected]:21/Metal03_Fifth_Chapter_WIP_08-12-31_06.44.mp3) (7.49MB)

Cheers!

faulknermano
12-31-2008, 12:31 AM
very nice, and at least to my ears, it has a 'fuller' arrangement than the previous WIP: the high-end rhythm is does a good job. :)

DiedonD
12-31-2008, 12:40 AM
She was really smart, because she took those first years and really figured out how things worked and then she just f*cked the establishment and now she can do whatever she want with her music.

Thats seems the only freedom course of an artist. Do the patterns, however much revolting they may seem, just enough to get you the freedom money, and then turn your back on that establishment and go on your golden own.

The problem is, the establishment, the money man, they seem to know of your attentions, and want control by not giving that much money. Cause they profit from you, and want to do so as long as you are alive!

And thats if your lucky to have to do with them in the first place. The risk beeing, how BAD do you want to ruin your creative abilities by dealing with those patterns just to come to some money? You sure you can get back to your original creation afterwards? How long will it take to do as they please first? You may be doing it all your life even! Is it really worth to waste your life on doing something non original, patterny, just for a shot at beeing picked up? The Money Man is treating artists just like any other economic issue, by creating alotta 'competition' and 'open markets'!

Thus the way forward to get to the freedom money would be to go the other way around kinda. Get to the money with whatever ways, and then youre free to do your work as you want it for good. No interferences anymore.

When you think about it, it comes out that art is also like phillosophy! In one theory at phillosophy origins, is that, after people covered their basic biologic needs for good, with least amount of effort to have spare time to do basically nothing, then they started thinking about issues, and became phillosofers! Free independent artist it seems is forced to follow the same pattern under present economical circumstances!

You gotta have money if youll want to cover your needs. The only way to get money is by service or selling things. Thus your forced to do services! Cause you cant go hunting even throughout the year even! Its strictly a 'do service or sell' enforced policy! Your not free, you'll just starve!

faulknermano
12-31-2008, 12:58 AM
Free independent artist it seems is forced to follow the same pattern under present economical circumstances!

You gotta have money if youll want to cover your needs. The only way to get money is by service or selling things. Thus your forced to do services! Cause you cant go hunting even throughout the year even! Its strictly a 'do service or sell' enforced policy! Your not free, you'll just starve!

i suppose you can say that 'freedom' is just an ideal, and no one truly is, in any personally-satisfying sense of the word 'free'. but there are levels to artistic freedom.

for example, dostoevsky, to name one artist (writer), did not necessarily live a comfortable life. yes, he did starve, but not to the death. his art was more important than hunger.

now, william faulkner (yes, to those who wonder about my username, it's from this writer's name) touches this economic problem with this interview (Paris Review):

INTERVIEWER
You mentioned economic freedom. Does the writer need it?

FAULKNER
No. The writer doesn’t need economic freedom. All he needs is a pencil and some paper. I’ve never known anything good in writing to come from having accepted any free gift of money. The good writer never applies to a foundation. He’s too busy writing something. If he isn’t first rate he fools himself by saying he hasn’t got time or economic freedom. Good art can come out of thieves, bootleggers, or horse swipes. People really are afraid to find out just how much hardship and poverty they can stand.(*Ed: emphasis mine) They are afraid to find out how tough they are. Nothing can destroy the good writer. The only thing that can alter the good writer is death. Good ones don’t have time to bother with success or getting rich.

admittedly, artists nowdays don't just need pencil and paper. but i believe the point is that where there is a will - a strong one - there's a way.

DiedonD
12-31-2008, 01:47 AM
i suppose you can say that 'freedom' is just an ideal, and no one truly is, in any personally-satisfying sense of the word 'free'. but there are levels to artistic freedom.

for example, dostoevsky, to name one artist (writer), did not necessarily live a comfortable life. yes, he did starve, but not to the death. his art was more important than hunger.

now, william faulkner (yes, to those who wonder about my username, it's from this writer's name) touches this economic problem with this interview (Paris Review):

admittedly, artists nowdays don't just need pencil and paper. but i believe the point is that where there is a will - a strong one - there's a way.

I guess it depends on what goals youve set in your way of beeing selfulfilled then. To me, if I aint a Daddy, Im nowhere near beeing my full potential!

I could withstand poverty for LW, and movies from it. But noway in HELL im going down there and taking my kids and my wife with me too.

And its risky. Look at our Shrox man. He was even suffering from Insomnia. That and technically speaking, computers need electricity to work on. Finding a pencil and a paper is easy. Whose gonna render it?

And, there are ways around that too, but your beeing low, know what I mean, youll resort to beging someone to use the computer, it gets narrower.

I went that way. I was purposely going out to talk to customers just so as I could do LW on my llaptop charged on the car while in between contacts.

It gets harder and harder to find the time and peacefulness to just work for crying out laud. Work! Not bloody stand and do nothing. Work!

Ive tried it, and I can tell you it isnt for a married man, cause you may get a heart attack!

I beleive so much so in it, that Im resorted to say that even that interview is designed to take the artist to the streets and put the artist to a weak, easier to take advantage of position, so as then when theyll get back to beg for money, the diamond colored art that was made from him would be cheaper, or would resort more easily to craftsmanship.

People reading the interview would go to the streets and test out just how strong they are, and degrading their position to a more easily to take advantage position. Hunger, may change your mind about how original your art indeed is!

moremetall
12-31-2008, 02:04 AM
very nice, and at least to my ears, it has a 'fuller' arrangement than the previous WIP: the high-end rhythm is does a good job. :)

Agree, nice work !

faulknermano
12-31-2008, 02:20 AM
It gets harder and harder to find the time and peacefulness to just work for crying out laud. Work! Not bloody stand and do nothing. Work!

Ive tried it, and I can tell you it isnt for a married man, cause you may get a heart attack!

do believe when i say that i, too, have the same sentiments. in fact, more than any time in my life that is most true.

I beleive so much so in it, that Im resorted to say that even that interview is designed to take the artist to the streets and put the artist to a weak, easier to take advantage of position, so as then when theyll get back to beg for money, the diamond colored art that was made from him would be cheaper, or would resort more easily to craftsmanship.

the interview itself is not designed to be that way. ;) Faulkner is not talking out of abstract reasoning or pep-talk; it's from his own experience.

however, to each his own way - that goes without saying.

People reading the interview would go to the streets and test out just how strong they are, and degrading their position to a more easily to take advantage position. Hunger, may change your mind about how original your art indeed is!

indeed! possibly, hunger will reveal who you are. and that's where it's at. speaking for myself, i don't think i'd like to go hungry. but the point is that what Faulkner is saying is true, at least about me: just how afraid am i to risk certain things for the sake of 'art'? i believe everybody wants a comfort zone, and more than ever, especially today's world, that comfort zone is far more comfortable than it was in earlier centuries. there was a time when there was no electricity. :) that interview inspires me not to go out to the streets, but to try to break out of my own comfort zone, even if it is little by little.

some are wiser than others, and they make their name and money in the world. some are not as world-wise, so that they must find another way.

DiedonD
12-31-2008, 02:36 AM
the interview itself is not designed to be that way. ;) Faulkner is not talking out of abstract reasoning or pep-talk; it's from his own experience.
however, to each his own way - that goes without saying.

indeed! possibly, hunger will reveal who you are. and that's where it's at. speaking for myself, i don't think i'd like to go hungry. but the point is that what Faulkner is saying is true, at least about me: just how afraid am i to risk certain things for the sake of 'art'? i believe everybody wants a comfort zone, and more than ever, especially today's world, that comfort zone is far more comfortable than it was in earlier centuries. there was a time when there was no electricity. :) that interview inspires me not to go out to the streets, but to try to break out of my own comfort zone, even if it is little by little.

some are wiser than others, and they make their name and money in the world. some are not as world-wise, so that they must find another way.

An already well established, married man with kids shouldnt go hungry for art. Whats the kids fault for the degration? And Ill defy you to bring any wise solution to that! I think it has to do more with luck than wiseness. Some Producer that loves your art just as it is and supports you financially out of the blue!

But, a sole living one, can effort to risk more, cause hell be speaking for himself only. As risky as it may be still, hell be taking care of number one only.

The Interview may not be pre-planned from start to do so, but after someone speaks up from his own experience, what they do is, they highlight that by putting it in the media more often or in a more special way after he says so from his heart. That way the content is more original even.

And if worse comes to worse, and you have hundreds of artists at the streets realizing they were tricked, and demand a response to this all that, the author would just say 'Hey, thats my experience. We do not share the same fate by default!' . So its a win win situation.

prometheus
12-31-2008, 08:41 AM
I also would like to add that I really hate music that is written to fit a pattern of "hit music"... Music produced to make money is following a pattern that, sadly, too many people follow these days. Brittney Spears and Spice Girls are perfect examples of that kind of music. *shrug*

Oh darnit..I thought I had the perfect hit intro..going something like..
Ohh..baby baby!..:)

Most music follows patterns of somekind, but as you said when the pattern is so mainstreamed and focused on a Hit style it becomes unpersonal and blah..Ive heard this enough kind of music.

In some degree filmmusic follows very recognizable patterns aswell, but
it mostly has a little more specific aimed task to reveal or enhance the feelings,emotions or drama in the movie.

It´s interesting to look at how composers find their inspiration and what kind of pattern they look at to build up their music pieces.

I think brian eno has some complex structures in his work, I believe he wanted to create music pieces that is kind of a hologram, like if you pick out certain chords or tones, they should be able to represent the whole music piece.
He has some very scary moody tracks in the Apollo soundtrack..consisting of heavy slideless bass and synthmoods and some scary cow roaring that gives you the creeps.

Peter Gabriel wich is my number one favorite artist has a very rythmic drum approach to building up is music, drawing inspiration from african rythms and native indian beats, and middle east tones..and lately jamming with monkeys:)

I love his soundtrack to the movie birdy with nicolas cage and mathew modine, it´s an amazing soundcarpet created from pieces of his first records and mixing that together with Daniel Lanois who is a fantastic producer and music artist.
that album has so many soundtextures in it that you could listen to it many many times and still finding small sounds flying around that you wasn´t aware of the first time, blowing exhaustpipes, bird flocking screams etc etc.

Another musician that I sometimes listen to when the mood is right is
Mike Oldfield, Even thou he has a tendency to repeat himself alot, he has
some melodys and beats that are awesome and they get stuck in the head
and probably needs Exorcism to get rid of sometimes:)
I believe Mike Oldfield picks up a lot of patterns and inspiration from the
Nature.

Michael

Cageman
12-31-2008, 08:57 AM
moremetall and faulknermano:

Thanks... :) yes.. I feel that the track has matured quite well over the course of the days I've worked on it.

Cageman
12-31-2008, 08:58 AM
I really appreciate the discussion going on. Very interesting! :) Keep it going! :)

Cageman
12-31-2008, 09:22 AM
Oh darnit..I thought I had the perfect hit intro..going something like..
Ohh..baby baby!..:)

Most music follows patterns of somekind, but as you said when the pattern is so mainstreamed and focused on a Hit style it becomes unpersonal and blah..Ive heard this enough kind of music.

In some degree filmmusic follows very recognizable patterns aswell, but
it mostly has a little more specific aimed task to reveal or enhance the feelings,emotions or drama in the movie.

Hehe.. :) Yes... there are perfect examples of music that has a given pattern but still is good and interesting to listen to. I was generalizing little too much, I agree. :) I think what I try to key on is the unpersonalized feeling I get when hearing those hit-songs. Robyn and Madonna are both examples of "streamlined" music that I fully respect and I have nothing against.

It´s interesting to look at how composers find their inspiration and what kind of pattern they look at to build up their music pieces.

I think brian eno has some complex structures in his work, I believe he wanted to create music pieces that is kind of a hologram, like if you pick out certain chords or tones, they should be able to represent the whole music piece.
He has some very scary moody tracks in the Apollo soundtrack..consisting of heavy slideless bass and synthmoods and some scary cow roaring that gives you the creeps.

Of all types of music, I find filmmusic (classic scores with big symphony orchestras) being the one that is easiest to pick up and fully understand and enjoy, no matter how complex the writing is. They always make it easy to listen to but still a lot to find if you repeat the score.

This is also why I find Meshuggah very interesting from a metal standpoint. They don't play that fast, but they tend to bend the rhythm quite well. That is where I get inspiration from having rhythm guitars that are punctuated by what the drums are doing. That particular behavior in metal music in general sprang from what Meshuggah did back in the early 90's. They took the rhythm-based metal to a new level and led the way (Meshuggahs music is very aggressive I might add). I have to say that I haven't heard a band that sounds like them, but I have heard a lot of attempts and even more, bands that are clearly inspired by them. Meshuggah themselves are very inspired by bands like Rush and the early Metalica years.

Peter Gabriel wich is my number one favorite artist has a very rythmic drum approach to building up is music, drawing inspiration from african rythms and native indian beats, and middle east tones..and lately jamming with monkeys:)

Haha... sounds interesting. I've been drawn to bans like Squarepusher and Autechre when it comes to electronic music.

prometheus
01-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Hehe.. :) Robyn and Madonna are both examples of "streamlined" music that I fully respect and I have nothing against.

Yeah that´s interesting about Robyn..her first records thou where made to be in that hit style thou, but here latest was infact really enjoyable, and
considering she now has here own record company and is in more control of what she want´s to do, and she also has matured as a singer and person wich shows up in her music now.

I was actually wondering who it was singing every heartbeat since the voice actually sounded a bit like Kate Bush..then I saw an interview with robyn where she upon asked who are the best singer in the world she mentioned just Kate Bush, so obviously
there´s some Kate bush influences there.

And I like the way she´s doing some videos with some weird odd sometimes uggly style, that sticks out from the masses of artists that mostly only focus on sex and looking hot.

Michael

svintaj
01-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Fun to hear that you make music as well Cageman! I didn't know that, sounds good. I also write and produce demos at my spare time but I have had too much 3D-work to do the last year... so my new equipment just collects dust... However I now have Cubase4, Reason and some old synths and guitars, you can hear some of my songs here: www.myspace.com/segelson (http://www.myspace.com/segelson)

Hey, one old LightWave user that have made some really great music is Taron, you can find his music from www.taron.de (http://www.taron.de)

Very inspiring thread! :jam:

/ Svante Segelson

Cageman
01-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Fun to hear that you make music as well Cageman! I didn't know that, sounds good.

Hey... thanks! :) It seems many LW:vers have more to them than meets the eye! :)

I also write and produce demos at my spare time but I have had too much 3D-work to do the last year... so my new equipment just collects dust... However I now have Cubase4, Reason and some old synths and guitars, you can hear some of my songs here: www.myspace.com/segelson (http://www.myspace.com/segelson)

Wow! Didn't know that! :)

Sounds very proffessional, very good! Not really my type of music, but non the less, it is very well executed! Cool! :)

Hey, one old LightWave user that have made some really great music is Taron, you can find his music from www.taron.de (http://www.taron.de)

Ahh... I have to check that one out! Thanks for the tip!

Very inspiring thread! :jam:

/ Svante Segelson

Yeah. It ended up being alot more open for others to join in and share whatever views or music they may have in store. I like it that way! :) Very inspiring indeed. :)

To ALL:

A very important thing that goes without saying, but still needs to be said, is that WHATEVER you do, especially if you do creative things on your sparetime, is to make sure YOU enjoy and like what you do. It shouldn't matter if you are the ONLY person in the world liking it, because if you truly do what you like to do, there will be others who likes it as well, but the first and foremost "goal" should always be to please yourself!

hunter
01-02-2009, 10:25 AM
By the way...

Cheers!

That's some great stuff Cageman! I love prog rock
Here's one I did for an album a friend and I are working on. :D
http://www.greatfallingoftheleaves.com/rakemusic/Summit.mp3
Keep it up. :thumbsup:

svintaj
01-02-2009, 10:50 AM
To ALL:

A very important thing that goes without saying, but still needs to be said, is that WHATEVER you do, especially if you do creative things on your sparetime, is to make sure YOU enjoy and like what you do. It shouldn't matter if you are the ONLY person in the world liking it, because if you truly do what you like to do, there will be others who likes it as well, but the first and foremost "goal" should always be to please yourself!

That's exactly my opinion, just be creative and have fun! :i_agree:
And thanks for your kind words. :bowdown:

Nice solo hunter!:jam:

/ Svante

Cageman
01-03-2009, 04:43 PM
That's some great stuff Cageman! I love prog rock
Here's one I did for an album a friend and I are working on. :D
http://www.greatfallingoftheleaves.com/rakemusic/Summit.mp3
Keep it up. :thumbsup:

Hey...cool stuff right there!

So, this album of yours... will it be a free album or are you going to take some cash for it? :)

Anyhow... cool to hear that so many LW-users are also talanted musicians!

:thumbsup:

hunter
01-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks Cageman. We're still kicking around the idea of selling it. We've put a lot of work into it. ;) But we'll see. Maybe a low res version for free and if people like it they may be willing to pay for higher res.
Are you a Rush fan at all?

Cageman
01-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Thanks Cageman. We're still kicking around the idea of selling it. We've put a lot of work into it. ;) But we'll see. Maybe a low res version for free and if people like it they may be willing to pay for higher res.

Sounds like a solid idea! Go for it! :)

Are you a Rush fan at all?

No, not really. I've heard a couple of songs, but that is pretty much it. :)

Von Polygon
01-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Hey Cageman I really like where this is going, keep it up! The last version seems really shaping up. Is the guitar really straight out of Pocket POD?
Two out three of my favourite bands are from Sweden, Meshuggah and Soilwork. Have you heard of a band called Textures, I think you might like them.
Used to play and sing back home years ago, we did something that sounded like early Fear Factory and did covers of their Demanufacture and Edgecrusher.
Been toying with various ideas nowadays, but having the same issues as described earlier as not getting a single track finished properly.
Thanks for your track, it's very inspiring and nudged me to open up Cubase again to tinker with those unfinished.

Cageman
01-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Hey Cageman I really like where this is going, keep it up! The last version seems really shaping up. Is the guitar really straight out of Pocket POD?
Two out three of my favourite bands are from Sweden, Meshuggah and Soilwork. Have you heard of a band called Textures, I think you might like them.
Used to play and sing back home years ago, we did something that sounded like early Fear Factory and did covers of their Demanufacture and Edgecrusher.
Been toying with various ideas nowadays, but having the same issues as described earlier as not getting a single track finished properly.
Thanks for your track, it's very inspiring and nudged me to open up Cubase again to tinker with those unfinished.

Hi,

Happy to hear I've inspired you to make music again! :) I'm also happy to hear that you like Meshuggah! They truly are an amazing band. Soilwork is cool also, but they are somewhat "standard" metal. ;)

If you are a diehard fan of Meshuggah, this (http://www.tandjent.com/meshforum/showpost.php?p=184161&postcount=1) might interrest you!

I have all albums with Textures as well. They are cool, but again, really not the "feeling" I'm after... so far, Meshuggah is the only metal band that really "touches" me. :)

Oh... and yes.. the guitars are straight out of a PocketPOD. No effects added in Cubase.

Please post some of your music if you can!

Cheers!

Hopper
01-10-2009, 07:45 PM
I have that same problem. I have to work quite a bit these days and when I have some spare time, it's usually on some side work in LW. So when I do find myself wanting to pick up my studio work again, it's like having to relearn the apps all over again.

Von Polygon
01-11-2009, 08:38 AM
If you are a diehard fan of Meshuggah, this (http://www.tandjent.com/meshforum/showpost.php?p=184161&postcount=1) might interrest you!

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

Wow, you are damn serious about Meshuggah then, huh.

SonicChuck
01-11-2009, 03:00 PM
hey guys...just noticed this thread! I'm one more LW user who dabbles in music, although I'm a pop guy. Check out my page!

www.myspace.com/cdegroot

Cageman
01-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

Wow, you are damn serious about Meshuggah then, huh.

Yeah. :)

Rest assured though, that the FTP doesn't contain any commercial stuff. There are actually at least one guy from Nuclear Blast (their record company) that is a user on the FTP...so no illegal stuff is going on. :)

Cageman
01-11-2009, 08:13 PM
hey guys...just noticed this thread! I'm one more LW user who dabbles in music, although I'm a pop guy. Check out my page!

www.myspace.com/cdegroot

Hey!

Cool stuff. Thanks for popping into this thread! :)

You're a very good singer... really fits your music. :) Very nice songstructures. The only crit I can give is that the guitars sounds like they are programmed.

EDIT: 'We Jumped' is my favourite track. Very happy/sad song (both happy and sad at the same time... does that make sense?) :)

EDIT2: 'Look at me now' is very nice as well. The only thing keeping it from reaching into a hit, is the drumsounds (not the programming, the samples) and programmed guitars (again, that is what it sounds like). If you somehow can fix those things you've got yourself a hit.

SonicChuck
01-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Hey!

Cool stuff. Thanks for popping into this thread! :)

You're a very good singer... really fits your music. :) Very nice songstructures. The only crit I can give is that the guitars sounds like they are programmed.

EDIT: 'We Jumped' is my favourite track. Very happy/sad song (both happy and sad at the same time... does that make sense?) :)

EDIT2: 'Look at me now' is very nice as well. The only thing keeping it from reaching into a hit, is the drumsounds (not the programming, the samples) and programmed guitars (again, that is what it sounds like). If you somehow can fix those things you've got yourself a hit.

thanks a lot man! its so hard to find *good* constructive criticism...so I really appreciate it! I will definitely look into those things. The guitars throughout all the songs are a mix of real and programmed guitars...it just depends on what kind of mood I'm in that day...but I will definitely look into humanizing them a bit more!

Cageman
04-08-2009, 06:04 PM
thanks a lot man! its so hard to find *good* constructive criticism...so I really appreciate it! I will definitely look into those things. The guitars throughout all the songs are a mix of real and programmed guitars...it just depends on what kind of mood I'm in that day...but I will definitely look into humanizing them a bit more!

No worries! :)

Cageman
04-08-2009, 06:06 PM
So..

What has happened since last time... well... ALOT. :)

I did a special song dedicated the HardCORE forums and NewTek that I'll hold on to some more. It has been released in the HC-forums though... quite a while ago, actually. :)

The song (or part of a huge song) I started working on in this thread has recieved some updates, but not really ready to be posted yet. :)

In the meantime though, I got some ideas on a new song that I recorded a couple of weeks ago... very WIP, so bare that in mind. :)

Link, 7.87MB (ftp://FTP_PlayingInstruments:[email protected]:21/Cageman_-_Snap_to_the_Grid_v002_09-03-16_02.31.mp3) (right-click and download)

Cheers!

EDIT: Oh... and this one should sound pretty OK in speakers as well... I think... *lol*

DiedonD
04-09-2009, 12:39 AM
So..
What has happened since last time... well... ALOT. :)
I did a special song dedicated the HardCORE forums and NewTek that I'll hold on to some more. It has been released in the HC-forums though... quite a while ago, actually. :)

Hey Cageman

What are you waiting for? The tease and thus hard rock piece that your working on has raized attention good enough about that hardcore music part that youve done!

Why dont you just present it here aswell then? :)

BTW, the streaming version of your link has a very unexpected ending. As if the entire track didnt fit there!

Cageman
04-09-2009, 12:52 AM
Hey Cageman

What are you waiting for? The tease and thus hard rock piece that your working on has raized attention good enough about that hardcore music part that youve done!

Why dont you just present it here aswell then? :)

Hehehehe... *evil laughter*

BTW, the streaming version of your link has a very unexpected ending. As if the entire track didnt fit there!

Yep...that is because it's a WIP and should not be concidered finished (right now the song ends like that).

DiedonD
04-09-2009, 01:04 AM
Hehehehe... *evil laughter*

So... There is no such a music piece about HardCore then??

Ahh, bad joke Cageman! :thumbsdow

Cageman
04-09-2009, 01:24 AM
So... There is no such a music piece about HardCore then??

Ahh, bad joke Cageman! :thumbsdow

Ohh... I'm teasing you... :)

Trust me though, there is a hardCORE song... just want to wait some more until releasing it to the wild.

DiedonD
04-09-2009, 02:37 AM
Ohh... I'm teasing you... :)

Trust me though, there is a hardCORE song... just want to wait some more until releasing it to the wild.

Nah!

There aint no song and you know it! Its a fake tease! :devil:

Your just bluffing! :hey:

DiedonD
04-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Or am I just saying that so as to make you more willing to quit the await and put it here?!

Which one of them is it!?

Cageman
04-24-2009, 02:40 PM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98140

;)

walfridson
04-24-2009, 03:14 PM
why not post something...

I havent finished anything yet though. Tend to create some beats and then improv a lot. Recently I had to sell all my stuff so now I'm left with my samsung netbook 10" and a nanokey! But guess what, reason runs real smooth. Been able to push down latency good.

Hope I can finish something before 2010..

Cheers :)

DiedonD
04-25-2009, 01:03 AM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98140

;)

About time!

Nice, but it was a bit too jungle like noisy for my taste. The best parts are the part that is in the end. But it repeats itself throughout see.

Cageman
08-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Hi!

Here is something I decided to do for anyone that may be interrested. :D

LINK (http://hangar18.gotdns.org/~cageman/PlayingInstruments/Cageman_Approach_to_music.mp3) (right-click and download)

Cheers!