PDA

View Full Version : How do you use reflection with Simple Skin?

Mercuryrex
12-26-2008, 05:51 PM
I just can't work out how to get reflections to work with Simple Skin.

In the old layers system there is a surface channel for reflection where you can create incident angles, reflection maps, gradients, layer them all together, and get great reflections.

But in the node system there doesn't appear to be a reflection channel to plug into Simple Skin. It's got a specularity input, a glossiness input, but not one for reflection. All it has is a basic reflection option on the advanced tab which just allows you whether you want background, spherical map, etc. Nothing there to allow you to use reflection maps or set their strengths.

Can somebody help me out here?
Is there something I'm missing? Is there a way to set up a node system which allows you to have the versatility with reflections you can get with the old layer system, or am I limited to just the basic choice of reflection on or off?

I just don't understand why Simple Skin hasn't got an input for a reflection channel just like it has for specularity and glossiness. So am I forced to only be able to use specularity for skin and not have the option to use reflection instead.
I really would appreciate some help on this as i've been trying to work it out but can't figure out how to set up a node setup to get around this. I'm wanting to set up two layers of reflections with their own reflection maps and I can't work out how to be able to do this with Simple Skin.

multipass
12-27-2008, 11:51 PM
I think the specular channel may cover both reflection and specular iirc

Sensei
12-28-2008, 07:50 AM
Simple Skin material is reflecting on it's own. You can see it in increased render times by enabling Render Globals > RayTrace Reflections, and set samples to f.e. 1000. Then switch off RayTrace Reflections - there will be huge difference in render time.

Mercuryrex
12-29-2008, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the replies, but how do you use a reflection map with possibly more than one layer, and how do you make it avoid using specularity?
What if you want to use reflections instead of specularity?

SP00
12-29-2008, 07:55 AM
I think on the material nodes, there is no seperate spec and reflection channel. Spec on material is a generic name for both.

Sensei
12-29-2008, 08:02 AM
Personally, if I would HAVE to do it (although human skin is not reflecting), I would use one of Material splitting nodes (like mine own from TrueArt's Node Library), then add custom reflection to what skin node provided, and use Make Material to convert it back to regular material, and plug it in Surface Editor Material input..