PDA

View Full Version : Making a Simple Sphere like this

kirkeric
12-26-2008, 10:33 AM
Hello,

I've been watching a tutorial on making fur/hair in which the guy starts with a sphere like this one but unfortunately, he doesn't tell how he made it. I can make a simple ball but it doesn't start out with the 28K polygons like this and then doesn't turn out like the tutorial.

I'm trying to making like dustballs and maybe some individual hairs if that helps.

Appreciate it.

Eric

RollerJesus
12-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Create a ball, before committing it, hit 'n' to bring up the numeric panel and change the type to tesselation. Increase the segments to something like 48. (for 24K polys)

Although, that seems like a lot of polys to me. I don't have my dongle with me so I can't test it out though.

kirkeric
12-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Thanks!

The tutorial ends up turning that into over 500K. I was incorrect earlier though, it was 2880, not 28K.

By the way maybe you can answer this but is it possible to upgrade from 9.0 to this 9.5 or do they require a complete new purchase?

Eric

Create a ball, before committing it, hit 'n' to bring up the numeric panel and change the type to tesselation. Increase the segments to something like 48. (for 24K polys)

Although, that seems like a lot of polys to me. I don't have my dongle with me so I can't test it out though.

kirkeric
12-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Hello again,

Hey, I made that ball with no problem and think I found my problem. Again, the tutorials are great but the guy sometimes begins at points where you kind of need to know how he made the object too.

On the ball, I made it exactly as he did (its actually 10 segments). But I notice in the tutorial, when he hits the properties, his shows 320 subpatches and mine shows zero.

So how do you tell it how many subpatches? I'm sure that is why my balls ends up looking all choppy instead of nice and fuzzy like his.

Thanks,
Eric

Amurrell
12-26-2008, 04:57 PM
All you have to do is hit the TAB key to convert polys to sub-patches. You can use LW sub pathces or Catmull-Clarke. To change the sub patch level you can do it in object properties in the Layout portion of LW. In CC this is exponential, however.

kirkeric
12-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Hey great,

That worked exactly. At first I had way too many but figured it out. Excellent.

Thanks,

Eric

All you have to do is hit the TAB key to convert polys to sub-patches. You can use LW sub pathces or Catmull-Clarke. To change the sub patch level you can do it in object properties in the Layout portion of LW. In CC this is exponential, however.

Amurrell
12-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Not a problem. When I replied to your message I thought I was being too brief, since I wrote it while at work and got called away. I'm glad it worked out for you!

toby
12-27-2008, 11:05 PM
Thanks!

The tutorial ends up turning that into over 500K. I was incorrect earlier though, it was 2880, not 28K.

By the way maybe you can answer this but is it possible to upgrade from 9.0 to this 9.5 or do they require a complete new purchase?

Eric
If you've a registered copy of LW9, 9.5 is freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
They only charge for full point upgrades, 7,8,9 etc.