PDA

View Full Version : Auto Surface Naming Plugin???

Revanto
12-23-2008, 06:54 PM
Does anyone know of a plugin which allows you to automatically name the surface of each discontinuous mesh? It doesn't really matter what the name is just as long as each discontinuous mesh is surfaced differently.

Just to clarify: If I had two sphere meshes, for example, I would just activate the plugin and both spheres would be automatically named something differently.

OR

The same plugin idea except that each discontinuous mesh is given a different PART name instead of a surface name.

Revanto :p

Matt
12-23-2008, 07:06 PM
I wrote this one a while ago, not tested it on the latest version of LightWave, should still work.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26283

It does individual polygons though, so might not be what you're after.

Cheers
Matt

Revanto
12-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Actually, I saw you plugin on Flay. No, sorry, not really what I need. Thanks, anyway.

It's not majorly important to that I find such a plugin but it would make something a little easier in my workflow.

Cheers,
Revanto

Matt
12-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Actually, grab this one here, have updated the UI code, was all to cock in the latest LightWave.

Edit: Oh well, worth a try, got me to update it anyway! :D

Matt
12-23-2008, 07:40 PM
I get what you mean, not sure if it's that simple to know which objects are separate from each other.

I know Artur Wawrzonkiewicz figured it out for his Align and Distribute plugin (http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/alignanddistribute.php)

faulknermano
12-23-2008, 10:05 PM
I get what you mean, not sure if it's that simple to know which objects are separate from each other.

you'd have to work around it.

you can try selecting a singe poly using POLYNDX (and feeding it 1 - meaning the first polygon), execute a selpolygon(SET,CONNECT), assign the surface, and then selhide(). then loop it, so that you select the first polygon again and then go through the same surfacing process.

Matt
12-23-2008, 10:08 PM
I thought it might be something like that. Of course, this would be so much easier if LW had an 'object' mode.

Revanto
12-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Actually, grab this one here, have updated the UI code, was all to cock in the latest LightWave.

Edit: Oh well, worth a try, got me to update it anyway! :D

It didn't actually work. I had to actually pick a polygon first and then after I applied the plugin, it just renamed the mesh as it normally would have if I just selected the mesh.

Now, I can't program for crap but would it be possible to follow this logic path (including faulknermano's idea) in making the Lscript?

1) Pick the first polygon coordinate of the mesh in the current visible object layer.

2) From the coordinate, select the polygon attached to the coordinate (any polygon will do as long as it is attached to the point coordinate)

3) Select all connected polygons

4) Rename surface mesh to "001" (no GUI input for name. Or make a separate Lscript that does have a GUI. I think that both Lscript could be useful).

5) hide the selected mesh.

6) select the next visible coordinate then repeat 2) to 5) (but changing the name incrementally to 002, 003, 004, etc...) until no more meshes are visible on the layer.

7) unhide all meshes.

Let me know if this is possible. If so, I think both GUI and no GUI versions would be useful.

Thanks so much for your help so far. It's more than generous.

Cheers,
Revanto :p

Matt
12-23-2008, 11:55 PM
It didn't actually work. I had to actually pick a polygon first and then after I applied the plugin, it just renamed the mesh as it normally would have if I just selected the mesh.

No it wouldn't do what you wanted, I posted it after you replied! Sorry to get your hopes up! :)

art
12-31-2008, 12:31 PM
you'd have to work around it.

you can try selecting a singe poly using POLYNDX (and feeding it 1 - meaning the first polygon), execute a selpolygon(SET,CONNECT), assign the surface, and then selhide(). then loop it, so that you select the first polygon again and then go through the same surfacing process.

That's more or less the method I used in the align and distribute script.

Matt
12-31-2008, 12:37 PM
That's more or less the method I used in the align and distribute script.

Always wondered how you managed that! :)