PDA

View Full Version : particle FX problem

LightFreeze
02-24-2003, 06:38 PM
Attached is a small scene which I cannot get to render properly.

The big sphere has a colour band placed relative to the null that orbits it but the colour band is just a marker for where the sphere should be emitting particles.

What I seem to get is a random works/doesnt work result, Ive tried disableing auto update and if I run through with FXstart the particles appear where they should but try to render a test frame and the particles disappear.

I get the feeling its some setting on the hypervoxels but Ive copyed that to the orbit null and it shows up in the test render.I dont think its my system(winXP Athlon1700 384MB ram) although it does think for a while with the FX start

Hope its something daft Ive done

Red_Oddity
02-25-2003, 05:51 AM
I'll give it a go, but first, have you set a destination for the cache file for this PFX? that might help...

LightFreeze
02-25-2003, 06:22 AM
If you dont mean the pfx directory then I dont know how to do that.
Thanks for looking

just in case, what it should do is emit particles from the colour band that travels over the surface of the sphere, maybe it will work for you.

Red_Oddity
02-25-2003, 08:17 AM
*edit* delete the whole lot as i clearly didn't read the post and the delete function on this forum is a bit screwed up.

Red_Oddity
02-25-2003, 08:26 AM
Ah...this worked....

It's a bug, when you render, HV plugin somehow deletes your PFX buffer and thus all the positions of the particles...

So:

FX_Start, so it calculates all your Particle motion and then under your FX_Property tab press the File tab -> save motion and give it a name, now all your PFX data is stored on HD in the mot file.

Now when you render it does as it should do...

LightFreeze
02-25-2003, 08:36 AM
:D
just off to try that, will get back to you

but it just sounds true
:D
Thanks

LightFreeze
02-25-2003, 09:52 AM
Its official you are a genios...genuo...genio...
Pretty Damn Smart

Thank you again, saving the motion file worked a treat