PDA

View Full Version : Faking relief and the DP node kit. (bump to normal)

starbase1
12-22-2008, 03:01 PM
As mentioned in a different thread, I am trying to make a lazy way to map tileable square images onto a sphere, to make quick and dirty planets / moons.

And it's coming along quite well - see the attached image. Now this just uses the diffuse channel, which is why it looks flat - I am mapping the 'equator' with a cylindrical mapping, 2x repeated, and use planar mapping on the poles, masked by a fuzzy disk. (Node map attached).

Now I want to add some bump, or even better normal, to give it some relief. I'm using the DP Kit, bump to normal, but the results are very odd, and affect which areas are lit without appearing to add any relief effects.

Now there's a forced conversion in there, which may be a bad idea, but I'm not sure of a better way to do it. Any suggestions?

Any alternatives?

Nick

Weepul
12-22-2008, 09:30 PM
That node only converts bump to normals. You're not starting with bump - you ought to feed the color into DPont's Scalar Bump node first (and you'll get more accurate results by changing it to 6-way sampling in its options.)

starbase1
12-23-2008, 12:49 AM
That node only converts bump to normals. You're not starting with bump - you ought to feed the color into DPont's Scalar Bump node first (and you'll get more accurate results by changing it to 6-way sampling in its options.)

That's done the trick!

Thanks!
Nick