PDA

View Full Version : Saving Objects

skywalker113
12-21-2008, 04:21 PM
I think my computer is getting alot of space taken up from models I've made.

When I model something, I like to save incrementals while I work. I do that for every project. Sometimes I go over a hundred saves to make sure I dont loose any work. I keep the incrementals even after I am done making it.

I dont know alot about computers, but Is each save of the same object taking up its own space? Should I go back and delete all of the saves that I dont really need anymore?

Silkrooster
12-21-2008, 10:14 PM
Each increment is its own file so the answer is yes it is taking up drive space.
If you would like to keep the incrementals just in case, you could zip them and store them on a separate drive. There will be times when you can reuse one of the files just to take you in another direction. For example you could be modeling a hay feeder for animals, but the base of it could be used for an outdoor table or work bench, etc. Some times you can just delete un used portions of an object but in other cases such as with booleans using an older file makes sense.
Silk

JeffrySG
12-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Each save is simply an independent LWO file. So you can check to see how much space each file is taking up. Deleting one does not affect any of the others. You could always zip them up to save space or go through them and only save the elements you really think you need. I have a tendency to save all of my incrementals.

(oopsss... I see Silk beat me to the punch) ;)

Sensei
12-22-2008, 01:06 AM
BTW, you can have incremental saving of whole scene and the all objects in Layout too (after editing any number of surfaces f.e.), using mine free plug-in SaveSceneAndAllObjectIncrement available to download on http://www.trueart.eu

skywalker113
12-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Ok. Thanks for the info