PDA

View Full Version : This New Years' Christmas Tree

DiedonD
12-21-2008, 05:59 AM
Hey

Ive just prepared it. The Christmas tree:

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/3358/dsc00289pj0.th.jpg (http://img72.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00289pj0.jpg)

Its the same old small Christmas tree we've always had. We call it the New Years Tree, but I guess its the same idea celebrated in different dates. We put it during the final weeks of the New Year and its meant to decorate the celebrations that will occur during the first three Midnights of the New Year.

I like to put ball decorations inwards of branches. It makes it more full. Not just a good looking Facade like, but has beutiful decorations inside as well you know. Ive put yellow balls inside, I dont know weather you can see it from there. It makes it more full compared to just having decorations on the tip of the branches, dont you think?

But it also bothers me that its not decorated all around the tree, cause since its put in the corner like that, its only visible in this side, so Ive put all the decorations that would be viewable, thus they all went on this side.

Anyway, thats ours. Small and stuffed New Years Tree. I like it that it has Paganism origins as they say. Its more Ilirian like I think.

Ok, so thats the Christmas tree here in Prizren. How does the Christmas tree over there looks like? At your place? Have you prepared it already?

cc3d
12-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Here is my Alma mata tree

http://images45.fotki.com/v1423/photos/1/130981/4223320/ClemsonTree-vi.jpg?1229885316

ted
12-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Our Christmas tree stands at 8 feet. With a slight lean. :help:
We put it up about 2 weeks before Christmsa and my wife makes me it down January 2nd.
Most of our decorations now consist of ornaments from our Christmas past, i.e. childrens first Christmas, school days home made ornaments, dozens of ornaments from our travels and a hanful of special ones we have picked up.
It'a hardly a "Designer" tree, but everything has memories on this tree.
Happy Holidays to you!

DiedonD
12-22-2008, 12:47 AM
Cool Tree CC3D. Pinky style huh :)

@Ted

Alright, after what you said I sure wanna see the tree now.

:gotpics:

Got pics, or is it too special for home kinda design, too personal to show it publicly?

And I dont get this part

and my wife makes me it down January 2nd.

Matt
12-22-2008, 06:46 AM
I have no decorations up at all, it's just me, not much point really!

cresshead
12-22-2008, 07:16 AM
last time i put up tinsel my cats ate it off the tree so...no xmas dec's..i prefer them to eat catfood if possible!

ted
12-22-2008, 01:37 PM
I meant to say, my wife "Makes" me take it down Jan 2nd. :D

COBRASoft
12-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Hey all,

I like to decorate during these dark times in Belgium :)

Here is a pic of our tree and a detail view of it.

Greetings,
Sigurd

Matt
12-22-2008, 04:19 PM
You gotta wonder though, if aliens came to earth and saw these things, they'd wonder what the hell was going on, it's quite a strange practice when you think about it!

ted
12-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Aliens he11, you otta see my dogs when I bring the tree in! :D
They drink more of the water than the tree does. And the cat just plays with the balls all day. :eek: Don't go there! :D

DiedonD
12-23-2008, 12:46 AM
@Ted
Ted im still waiting for the pics. I mean you say that your wife wants to put the tree down, and I dont know weather its some uggly looking tree deserving to go down and ally your wife's 'campaign' or is it a very good looking one, to ally with you against 'her'! :hey: :) .

And the Cat playing with your balls the whole day seems like an allien like bahavior to me :D

@Matt
Matt, do you mean you dont have any decorations at all on the tree, or you dont have the tree neither? What so weird about the practice Matt? Its pagan. Its older than religion. Doesnt that seem inviting as it is?

What I find odd about the New Year celebs though, is what the heck are we so joyfully celebrating? Another Year has slipped by from our lives, and we are a Year closer to our inevitable demise!

And after all that realistic blow I only seek comfort in thinking that we are celebrating another Year that we have spent together. And experienced another Year of life together and such. Its kinda comforting.

@Sigurd
Youve spray painted the tips with white havent you? Good idea. Thats a very rich looking tree. You cant see through the thick branches, no need for inner decs to fill in the emptiness like my tree.

COBRASoft
12-23-2008, 04:13 AM
DiedonD and others: Placing a christmas tree and decoration and so in this period of the year has nothing to do with religion. It is an old northern-europe custom to celebrate that the dark days are over and the light will become longer again per day. They used to celebrate the opposite too, when the days become darker again (midsummer festivals).

cresshead
12-23-2008, 04:15 AM
tradition> somones "new thing" repeated over and over again...usually every year...ie: every earth orbit around the sun which is a our nearest star.:D

DiedonD
12-23-2008, 04:19 AM
DiedonD and others: Placing a christmas tree and decoration and so in this period of the year has nothing to do with religion. It is an old northern-europe custom to celebrate that the dark days are over and the light will become longer again per day. They used to celebrate the opposite too, when the days become darker again (midsummer festivals).

Really? Isnt it pagan? I knew it wasnt religion, but I thought it was paganismic. How far back does it goes the tradition? It must be before Christ for it to be captured by them then and spreaad to all Christian/Catholic nations.

Matt
12-23-2008, 07:47 AM
@Matt
Matt, do you mean you dont have any decorations at all on the tree, or you dont have the tree neither? What so weird about the practice Matt? Its pagan. Its older than religion. Doesnt that seem inviting as it is?

I mean I have NO decorations at all. Bah Humbug! :)

Well, it's not weird to us, but to an outsider it might be.

COBRASoft
12-23-2008, 10:21 AM
DiedonD: Well, I'm not sure if it was before Christ, but there's no reason it should be. A lot of habbits of the Christianity are from the 4th-5th century, others are from 9th-11th century. As far as I've learned, it were the Germanics (not Germans known today) and Vikings that brought a lot of habbits to us, and so, the local people (and religion) took them over. Also, the 'Church' changed a lot in the dark and middle ages. We have more than 2 thousand years of history around here. E.g. the city 'Bruges' in Flanders has foundations that are more than 3000 years old. So, a lot of habbits and cultures got mixed over time and got spread around the world. Hehe, it's nice to see the relations in time between habbits and events :).

COBRASoft
12-23-2008, 10:26 AM
This is interesting stuff :santa:: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_tree

ted
12-23-2008, 12:49 PM
@Ted
Ted im still waiting for the pics. I mean you say that your wife wants to put the tree down, and I dont know weather its some uggly looking tree deserving to go down and ally your wife's 'campaign' or is it a very good looking one, to ally with you against 'her'! :hey: :) .

And the Cat playing with your balls the whole day seems like an allien like bahavior to me :D

Sorry, I've been too busy with a dead computer to give you a pict. Besides, my wife has me keeping the house so warm with the wood stove the tree might not make it till Jan 1. Looking pretty sad now. :help:

As for the cat, oh, I better not go there! :D
Merry Christmas to all that celebrate it. :santa:
Happy days to those who don't.

kennez
12-23-2008, 05:30 PM
No Christmas tree here, but then again, I'm in China. All of the shops have the things up, and the assistants and waitresses wear those stupid Santa hats, but there is actually no Christmas here at all.

I've tried telling my students this, but like the great kids they are, they don't listen! I'm attending a total of 6 Christmas parties tonight at school, thrown by my Oral English classes. It'll be a long night!

Guess who has to go to work tomorrow (Dec 25th) and finish speaking exams for 3 different classes! I'll be thinking of you all eating your turkey and Christmas pud while I'm sat freezing my arse off listening to 60 Chinese kids doing their exams! Lucky gits even get to watch DVDs in the nice warm classrooms!

COBRASoft
12-23-2008, 05:49 PM
kennez: poor you, but then again, most of you celebrate New Year twice :D

DiedonD
12-24-2008, 03:53 AM
This is interesting stuff :santa:: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_tree

So... It may be paganistic. Anyway, its not because of religion that Im putting it here, cause Im not religious kinda guy, but it was kinda always there, and its for decorating the first 3 New Year nights.

Ohh, since we are at it, how do you usually celebrate the New year?

Here its gathering at a Party house, and leave the kids to the parents for the first night. Thats more common. And Kennez, I think that we are responsible for a great deal of your firecrackers export incomes. Everyone will not only buy large quantities of it, but would experiment on the design of them all, to see whose is laudest and continues to pop for a longer period of time.

My son came up with an idea! Now I know there are Kosovars here, and some are from Prizren so I wont tell it open just yet. But with that design now, you can use two packages at once with it! Its like 400 fireckrackers that light themselves up, and each pops loudly three times!! So that will be some 1200 awsome irregular loud pops that may last up to a minute and half most!

People that dont want to spend too much time in designing the perfect firecrackers, they simply go for the usual shooting the sky with your recent best gun. Or sometimes they do both.

So the first night is laud! And its not all of a suden laud neither, the designs are tested the more closer you get to the 31st of December!

The second night is best spent with friends at someones house. Of course the first night is with family and relatives. So the second night is with close friends, wine & beer, good music and good chattings. Usually with kids.

And the third night now, since we are all tired now by standing so late the previous two nights with little sleep, the third night is calm at home with family usually.

Thats more or less like it in here in Prizren. And sometimes its celebrated at someones house for the three days, so the hosue gets decorated, and theres where the tree plays its role.

How is it over there?