PDA

View Full Version : Using an image to split foreground and background textures

starbase1
12-20-2008, 03:44 PM
I'm trying to improve my understanding of nodes, in particular I want to use two different surfaces, and control which appears where with a blend.

Now the example in the manual shows this using a procedural, and it's fairly straightforward, there's a BG colour and an FG colour, and I can feed an image map into each channel, and it works just as I would expect.

But if I want to use a grey image map to control it, I immediately hit a problem - the image node only has a BG, and no FG!

This does not seem a particularly complex thing I am trying to do, so I am guessing I have missed something obvious!

Any tips?
Nick

TripD
12-20-2008, 09:59 PM
I'm not sure I followed you correctly. I gave it a whirl though and came up with this setup. Hopefully, this helps.

starbase1
12-21-2008, 01:18 AM
I'm not sure I followed you correctly. I gave it a whirl though and came up with this setup. Hopefully, this helps.

That looks to do it!

Cheers

TripD
12-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Ahhh.... using the Alpha output makes it a yes/no, black or white situation. I used the color output and got a greyscale mix.

starbase1
12-22-2008, 03:14 AM
If there's any interest I can put up some surfaces and examples - I'm using it to make credible planets from square tiling textures...

JohnMarchant
12-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Yeah love to see then starbase1

starbase1
12-23-2008, 03:04 PM
OK, I think it's coming along, so here are some sample images. I want to do a bit more work and gather some textures that work well, then I'll get it all zipped up and make it available.

The textureworld image also uses the DP kit bump to normal node, to tie the relief to the surface...

Nick

TripD
12-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Completely seemless and quite nice to boot!!!! Rockstar quality!!

starbase1
12-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Completely seemless and quite nice to boot!!!! Rockstar quality!!

Why thank you! I could not have done it without you!