PDA

View Full Version : hmmm xmen origins

Stooch
12-20-2008, 12:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlC0XQ6VXNQ

I like the franchise, this looks cool. There is also a movie in the works dedicated to magneto.

I still dont understand how a car would fly up into the air and do a 180 front flip just by slashing it with a sharp object

Morpheus also did it in matrix 2. wtf. would love to know the physics behind that.

JeffrySG
12-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Looking good! thx for the link!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the Magneto/Xavier movie too!

I still dont understand how a car would fly up into the air and do a 180 front flip just by slashing it with a sharp object
Movie and superhero physics! :D

hrgiger
12-20-2008, 04:46 PM

I don't think that's what's happening, it just looks that way from the way they cut the video. Because in the very next shot you see Wolverine flying through the air towards the helicopter in the same direction that the truck was heading so I think there's some action we're missing in there.

This will be on my list of movies to see in 2009. Right behind Terminator Salvation.

Matt
12-20-2008, 04:53 PM

Wouldn't the friction caused by the cutting object drag the car to one side, then flip as momentum takes it as the wheels dig in from not being straight?

All in a "movie suspend reality" fashion of course!

Chris S. (Fez)
12-20-2008, 05:34 PM
There is also a movie in the works dedicated to magneto.

Cool.

jasonwestmas
12-20-2008, 06:31 PM
I like it when they focus the attention on just a small hand-full of characters rather than feel obligated to cram in a crap load of super-friendness. I think this movie will do that well.

Captain Obvious
12-20-2008, 08:15 PM

Morpheus also did it in matrix 2. wtf. would love to know the physics behind that.
Well, anything that makes the car suddenly stop or slow down is quite likely to propel it into the air, if it was moving fast enough. A 180 flip is not very likely, I would bet, but I guess it could happen. If you cut the car like Wolverine did, the steering could malfunction sending the car off in a different direction. The change of direction can sometimes be translated into Y-axis momentum, so to speak. Just watch some motor racing. It happens now and then.

jin choung
12-20-2008, 08:28 PM
i just can't buy huge ackson as wolvie...

there is no place for that angst to come from. he is WAAAaaaaaaaaay too good looking and tall to have any kind of.... oooomph...

i can't see where that pent up, "ticking time bomb" quality would come from.

wolverine as in the comics is a near midget and not particularly attractive... probably not attractive at all. all his life he would have been on the under side of someone's boot and that would add up to a healthy psychosis.

but huge ackson? i don't think so. sigh.... for me the entire xmen cinematic efforts are something to be rebooted.

jin

p.s. in xmen3, why wasn't his pants disintegrating? come on....

jin choung
12-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Wouldn't the friction caused by the cutting object drag the car to one side, then flip as momentum takes it as the wheels dig in from not being straight?

in my mind, what's happening is that both tires on the same side of the car explosively deflate and that would cause the car to pull violently toward the dropping side.

so it's the equivalent of trying to do a 90 degree turn at full speed... and depending on how fast you're going, and how high the car's center of gravity is (in this case, a credible suv), you may or may not flip...

getting so airborne that you almost hit a helicopter.... ehhhh... probly not....

but as you say, hooray for hollywood.

jin

jin choung
12-20-2008, 08:34 PM

oooo... good call... i knew i saw that gag before.

jin

BigHache
12-21-2008, 12:10 AM

I can buy that, sure. What I want to know is how he would have gotten on top of a helo and not have gotten sucked by the rotors. That's some slick screenwriting. Maybe he'll hang on the outside of a jet turbine too. :)

Man if Wolverine could fly... he'd present a real threat to air traffic.

Stooch
12-21-2008, 03:57 AM
I like it when they focus the attention on just a small hand-full of characters rather than feel obligated to cram in a crap load of super-friendness. I think this movie will do that well.

ah but the real reason why im excited is because of the secondary chracters! finally we get to see GAMBIT!

Stooch
12-21-2008, 03:58 AM
Well, anything that makes the car suddenly stop or slow down is quite likely to propel it into the air, if it was moving fast enough. A 180 flip is not very likely, I would bet, but I guess it could happen. If you cut the car like Wolverine did, the steering could malfunction sending the car off in a different direction. The change of direction can sometimes be translated into Y-axis momentum, so to speak. Just watch some motor racing. It happens now and then.

lol, you should see the mythbusters special where they did just that! it was with a motorcycle but the physics are similar... lets just say it was a resounding "BUSTED". i could see it happening if the car hit a solid, concrete barrier that was about 3ft tall, that might cause enough of sudden stop to lift the back end off the ground...

Matt
12-21-2008, 04:03 AM
p.s. in xmen3, why wasn't his pants disintegrating? come on....

Simon Pegg explains! (Admittedly for the Hulk, but the same principle!)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=p7w5lkpFGKI

prometheus
12-21-2008, 05:21 AM
whate?

Real physics in these kind of movies..blah:)

Michael

Captain Obvious
12-21-2008, 12:03 PM

there is no place for that angst to come from. he is WAAAaaaaaaaaay too good looking and tall to have any kind of.... oooomph...
Because good-looking people never feel bad?

lol, you should see the mythbusters special where they did just that! it was with a motorcycle but the physics are similar... lets just say it was a resounding "BUSTED". i could see it happening if the car hit a solid, concrete barrier that was about 3ft tall, that might cause enough of sudden stop to lift the back end off the ground...
Um, what? I've managed to flip a bike by taking a turn at too high speed. The front wheel snapped into 90 rotation vs the motion vector of the bike, bringing me to a rather abrupt halt and basically flipping the bike forward. A car going at high speed could potentially get sent airborne by a similar chain of events. For example, if you take a too tight turn at too high speed, you'll flip over. Do it at even higher speed and the car can actually flip with such energy that it goes into the air.

hrgiger
12-21-2008, 01:17 PM
You guys are putting way too much thought into this. Besides, as I said, that's not what is even happening in the trailer.

geothefaust
12-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Yeah wayyy too much...

ON TOPIC HERE... lol

When I first read the Wolverine Origin graphic novel, I thought it was pretty good. I've been trying to find a copy where I work at (bookstore) so I can read it again, but no one is selling it back to us at all. Lame... Anyway, I think it will be great to see the story in a movie format, it seemed like it would translate well. But it looks like they are also taking it a step further and adding in some of the story line from Logan's adventures in Japan (and his GF, Mariko was it?) and who knows what storyline, they are borrowing from for the stuff with Gambit.

Like someone else said though, I'm happy to see some action with Gambit. He's a great character.

I wonder how the blob will pan out?

Stooch
12-21-2008, 03:54 PM

Um, what? I've managed to flip a bike by taking a turn at too high speed. The front wheel snapped into 90 rotation vs the motion vector of the bike, bringing me to a rather abrupt halt and basically flipping the bike forward. A car going at high speed could potentially get sent airborne by a similar chain of events. For example, if you take a too tight turn at too high speed, you'll flip over. Do it at even higher speed and the car can actually flip with such energy that it goes into the air.

I dont think it will. i think that the forward momentum of the car will always overcome what little friction the car tires can generate. the result will be a forward skid.

maybe a bike is a bad example but they tried sticking a metal pipe into the spokes and the bike would just skid and fall over...

Captain Obvious
12-21-2008, 03:58 PM
maybe a bike is a bad example but they tried sticking a metal pipe into the spokes and the bike would just skid and fall over...
I'm as big a fan of Mythbusters as the next geek, but when they say "busted" about something that busted out one of my teeth, well, I'm inclined to disagree. It does not just "skid to a halt." It stops, abruptly and violently, and then you're in pain.

jin choung
12-21-2008, 04:27 PM

right! : )

good looking people feel bad of course but you can't imagine them having the same sort (degree) of angst that an ugly midget would have right?

it's the (strangely) hollywood parable that says the beautiful are bad people and that the downtrodden ugly or norms have the beautiful souls but it doesn't really play that way in reality.

most likely, the beautiful were treated well with great love and deference and that translates to an openness and generosity of spirit in themselves. the ugly and downtrodden are generally treated badly by many and alas, it's the nature of most animals that if you are treated badly, you develop into something ugly too... an insidious feedback loop.

there are exceptions of course and there are indeed noble quasimodos and "real wives of the oc" but that's my take on the generality.

and so yes, huge ackson is simply too good looking to be wolverine.

jin

p.s. that's why there has been an anathema against the leading man "pretty boy" for so long.... if you're too good looking, you just can't credibly portray a normal human being! : )

Stooch
12-21-2008, 04:32 PM
its the vanity of the viewers. if you think about it even most comic action heros are glorified.

personally if i was to ask to model a set of tits, i would want to make them fondleicious, not saggy or dissymmetric.

i bet oddity would have alot ot say about that lol.

Stooch
12-21-2008, 04:42 PM
I'm as big a fan of Mythbusters as the next geek, but when they say "busted" about something that busted out one of my teeth, well, I'm inclined to disagree. It does not just "skid to a halt." It stops, abruptly and violently, and then you're in pain.

ok whatever problem you have with bikes, it doesnt apply to cars... its not even a roll, the car is literally catching air and flipping end to end.

no way.

geothefaust
12-21-2008, 11:35 PM
its the vanity of the viewers. if you think about it even most comic action heros are glorified.

personally if i was to ask to model a set of tits, i would want to make them fondleicious, not saggy or dissymmetric.

i bet oddity would have alot ot say about that lol.

Lol, I bet oddity would have plenty to say on that...

Personally, I'd rather make something that completely disgusts viewers and bring them closer to feeling sick and awkward. :D Someone has to be anti-vanity, right?

Maybe in one of the speed modeling challenges we could have one for "Asymmetrical Bodies", so we can 'squeeze' in those saggy breasts. :D

DiedonD
12-23-2008, 02:19 AM
wolverine as in the comics is a near midget and not particularly attractive... probably not attractive at all. all his life he would have been on the under side of someone's boot and that would add up to a healthy psychosis.

Nah Psychosis has more to do with genetics. Its Schizofrenia and all other type of mentall illness that is under the Schizofrenia Realm. Its hereditary.

But may have been a cause to Psychopathy. Luckily its not the case though.

Looking forward to see all the Origins. Thanks for Magneto, I didnt new that one.

hrgiger
12-23-2008, 03:28 AM

Good looking people can't have angst? And besides, anything that would have caused Wolvie any physical angst or grizzlement as it were, would have healed by his healing power.

Stooch
12-23-2008, 03:46 AM
so what you are saying is that wolverines ugliness is a defect that he simply cured? sort of like sexiness regeneration ability.

jasonwestmas
12-23-2008, 03:20 PM
so what you are saying is that wolverines ugliness is a defect that he simply cured? sort of like sexiness regeneration ability.

LOL!! That's awesome. We might as well say that all evil people look like nasty trolls with horns and a pointed tail.:devil:

hrgiger
12-23-2008, 06:22 PM

No, I'm just saying that any scars, weathering, abrasions, broken bones (that includes facial) would be cured so if he was good looking when he was younger, he still be good looking as he got older.

Stooch
12-23-2008, 08:50 PM
No, I'm just saying that any scars, weathering, abrasions, broken bones (that includes facial) would be cured so if he was good looking when he was younger, he still be good looking as he got older.

well according to science, beauty is symmetry. does his regenerative skill do this as well?

Chilton
12-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Without going and digging out my boxes of X-Men...

I think Wolverine was born in the (late) 1900s, and his regeneration ability makes him age at a much slower than normal rate. It's the inner angst of a near immortal life that causes him such inner turmoil, combined with the nasty reek of mutant smoker breath. Also, despite that he is nigh invincible, he cuts himself shaving on a regular basis, due to his still baby-like skin.

Wolverine's powers of regeneration are extensive, as seen in one of the issues (Days of Futures Past?) where a small amount of his body regenerates into his whole body, again, thus sparking the debate about whether he could be split in half like a Planaria, and generate a clone of himself. Does life begin at regenerative cell division?

So many questions...

I shall don my Wolverine Claws and Mask (vintage goldenrod X-Men, not that new black crap) and sit in the front row of the theater next to Comic Book Guy, expecting all of my questions to be answered, when this movie comes out.

-Chilton

geothefaust
12-23-2008, 09:21 PM
lol...

All I know is, in all the comics I've read, Wolvie was always short, stout and ugly as hell.

EDIT: Hey Chilton, I believe that was in Days of Future Past, like you... With out busting them out. :D

As for the matinee viewing, I wear a Spiderman hoody. :D

Stooch
12-24-2008, 02:03 AM
im all about mangneto anyway, nothing like an omnipotent as$hole.

didnt he kill wolverine in one of the comics? something about using his skeleton against him by ripping it out of his body.

hrgiger
12-24-2008, 03:21 AM
well according to science, beauty is symmetry. does his regenerative skill do this as well?

As I already said, any physical weathering would pretty much be ineffectual against him. If such a regenerative power existed, you might even wonder if he would age as his cells would be regenerating as well. And if he was symmetrical before, he'd still be symmetrical now.

If Magneto ever did rip the skeleton out of Wolverine, would it grow back? Without the adamantium of course. If Wolverines power works from his genetic code and there were at least the precursor cells for bones, maybe?

Of course, in comic books, anything is possible.

jin choung
12-24-2008, 12:06 PM
as for whether beautiful people don't have angst... it's like asking whether filthy rich people don't have angst....

sure. i'm sure they do.

but an angst norms would recognize? not sure about that. an angst that regular folks wouldn't end up laughing at? not sure about that.

something along the lines of "fear of losing looks/wealth" which seems ludicrously petty and boring to the rest of humanity....

also, in this specific case, jackson looks like he's just putting it on like a shirt. there's nothing in his performance. it's all just facade. it FEELS phony to me. and that's because he seems light weight in terms of pathos. he's a genuinely happy guy who fits really well into MUSICALS.... not wolverine. imo.

jin

Stooch
12-24-2008, 05:15 PM
hey at least he isnt as much of a letdown as the actor for scott summers. (heh, not using his super hero name so that i can tell who is the read comic dork here.)

jin choung
12-24-2008, 05:35 PM
oh too easy... besides, google just spoils it.

but i like james marsden... he was in a comedy recently called sex drive and he looks hilarious in it - like he looked like he was perfect for his role in enchanted... but again, that same pretty boy light weight feel. he can be good for lots of things but everybody in the xmen is kind of an emotional wreck and these guys are just waaaaaaaaay too good looking for the good of the movie.

what i think looks like a good xmen (of which there has been precisely ZERO so far in my estimation) movie:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/push/

jin

Stooch
12-24-2008, 05:38 PM
well i have to say, xavier and magneto both have excellent casting.

juggernaut was pretty good.

storm was pretty good.

everyone else... meh.

jin choung
12-24-2008, 05:58 PM
xavier wasn't even casting... it was destiny. who else were they gonna get? but yeah, it ended up being perfect.

magneto's too old and frail in comparison.... he's much less gandalf and much more jack lalane.... a ripped ben kingsley would've been better.... kris kristofferson's physique is perfect if not his all-american persona....

also, oddly enough, he's too "obvious" a choice.... we need a weighty old guy, oh how about mckellan? meh....

same thing with droney mcdronesalot christopher lee.... there should be a law where you're not allowed to be in more than one mega-franchise.

and the actor for nightcrawler might've been okay 30lbs ago.... they needed a mime or a dancer's physique... putting him in a lab coat just made him look husky... also too tall.

halle is too lightweight too... angela basset isn't pretty enough and probably a bit too old now but storm needed to be someone like her.

fammke is too foreign... marvel girl's supposed to be all american.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my xmen reboot (and imo, it needs to be rebooted with better costumes and production design) would involve the mid eighties, chris claremont team:

- xavier
- cyclops
- phoenix
- wolverine
- collossus (for a non lame fastball special)
- nightcrawler
- lockheed
- shadowcat
- rogue
- maybe longshot
------------------------------
no iceman, no gambit

culminates in a battle royale against polymorphic sentinels.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oooooo... a new mutants movie wouldn't be bad either! that would totally focus on the mid eighties team as drawn by bill senkiewicz:

- canonball
- sunspot
- magick
- rahne (forgot her team name)
- the indian chick
- doug (forgot his.. cypher?)
- and WARLOCK! he'd be AWESOME as a cg creation!

dare to dream...

jin

Stooch
12-24-2008, 06:03 PM
hey wtf. Gambit is my favorite. im actually excited to see the new movie becaue of him :)

what i want to see is a badass, as$ kicking cyclops instead of the whiny ***** we got the last 2 times.

at least they killed him off... good riddance.

jin choung
12-24-2008, 06:09 PM
hey wtf. Gambit is my favorite. im actually excited to see the new movie becaue of him :)

yeah, he's a lot of people's favorite... but that's not my team.... i'm definitely into the pre- jim lee years (i'd call the era silver age xmen)... (although i love psylocke... rrrrrrrr!)

jin

Dexter2999
12-24-2008, 06:51 PM
jin for what it's worth;

I used to think the Indian guy from PREDATOR would have made a great Wolverine, unfortunately the guy is a giant at 6'4" or something.

jin choung
12-24-2008, 06:52 PM
jin for what it's worth;

I used to think the Indian guy from PREDATOR would have made a great Wolverine, unfortunately the guy is a giant at 6'4" or something.

YEAH!!! i totally thought that while watching predator... i thought his hair was done rather peculiarly similarly too....

but yeah waaaaay too tall...

but dammit we have compositing apps! shrink em!

jin

hrgiger
12-24-2008, 07:39 PM
but i like james marsden... he was in a comedy recently called sex drive and he looks hilarious in it -

Sex Drive was spectacular. Funniest movie I've seen in a long while.

jin choung
12-24-2008, 08:27 PM
cool. i'm sorry i missed it. the trailer looked hilarious and i actually did a LITERAL double take when i realized that was james marsden. will have to catch it on dvd.

jin

hrgiger
12-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Comes out February 24th: http://www.amazon.com/Sex-Drive-Seth-Green/dp/B001MEWBVE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1230177248&sr=8-1

meatycheesyboy
12-24-2008, 09:24 PM
im all about mangneto anyway, nothing like an omnipotent as$hole.

didnt he kill wolverine in one of the comics? something about using his skeleton against him by ripping it out of his body.

You're thinking of X-Men #25 from the mid to late 90s. Magneto does pull all of the adamantium out of Wolverine through his pores but it doesn't kill Wolverine, he's able to heal.

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/x-men/25-1.jpg