PDA

View Full Version : Cameras in layout dissapear when navigating.

stoecklem
12-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Is there any good reason for the way that layout handles camera and light
visibility in the viewports? I guess there size is linked to grid size? and they are automatically resized to the biggest object in the scene? Why do they always dissapear when navigating.

I just want to freely navigate my scene and always be able to see the camera and light icons. It is really annoying to have them dissapear and reappear all the time.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Nicolas Jordan
12-19-2008, 11:41 AM
I can think of a couple things that may be causing you trouble. One is your "Fixed Near Clip Distance" if you hit "D" for display options you can find this with a check box and a field to enter in a distance. The other thing you can try is to reduce the Grid square size to 5 meters or so.

IMI
12-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Personally I find them distracting and always hide them. You can always use the Scene Editor or the little icon next to their selectors at the bottom of the screen to open a panel to see them all and select them, but I prefer to use distinctive names for each light or camera I add. That way selecting them is only a keystroke and a click away and I always know what I'm dealing with.
Changing the grid size can make the cameras and lights easier to deal with visually, but it can also be detrimental to other elements in your scene which are more important than seeing the cameras or lights.

stoecklem
12-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the responses. I played with those settings and still can't get the behavior I want. I think I will probably just hide them as well. Its too distracting.

This all seems sort of ridiculous and pointless to me. why should changing cameras and light size change other things in the scene. I wish it was just simple (create camera. and there it is no matter where you navigate) like every other 3D software I have used.

Nicolas Jordan
12-19-2008, 12:18 PM
If the Camera and Lights are huge and you want to keep the same grid size but want your camera and lights smaller you can now adjust the camera and light icon size in version 9.5 independent of the grid.

IMI
12-19-2008, 06:17 PM
If the Camera and Lights are huge and you want to keep the same grid size but want your camera and lights smaller you can now adjust the camera and light icon size in version 9.5 independent of the grid.

I didn't even know that, since, like I said I always hide them, but thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

stoecklem
12-19-2008, 11:40 PM
oops. my apologies. long boring day at work.
I was using a little computer
but everything works perfectly at home. I guess it is a graphics card thing or some setting. Im getting a new machine soon.
It seemed a little wierd at first but now I understand the settings. The icon size is very nice.

" Changing the grid size can make the cameras and lights easier to deal with visually, but it can also be detrimental to other elements in your scene which are more important than seeing the cameras or lights"

may I ask IMI, does changing the grid size affect other things in layout besides cameras? I think there should be a fixed grid size independent of cameras. or is it just ruining visual reference

Thanks for all your help

IMI
12-20-2008, 02:16 AM
may I ask IMI, does changing the grid size affect other things in layout besides cameras? I think there should be a fixed grid size independent of cameras. or is it just ruining visual reference

Anything that depends on size or distance, yeah. The grid is the only way Layout has of knowing how far one object, camera or light is from another. Making precise motions would be more difficult if you're changing the grid size, and some of the shader nodes can be affected negatively as well.
I would imagine the Y axis would be unaffected though, since the grid is only on X and Z, but I'm not certain.