PDA

View Full Version : Distort 3D textures?

kopperdrake
12-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Hi - this is as far as we've got making a wood texture using 3D procedurals in the nodal editor. We'd like to add some 'wobble' to the main grain rings but I've no idea how to do it. Any suggestions? Still trying to get my head around nodes and though the Christmas hols could be a good time to play!

cagey5
12-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Try feeding another procedural into the position input of your wood texture. It gives the same type of effect as a texture displacement layer when using the layer system.

edit: And don't forget to adjust the opacity to control the degree of adjustment.

kopperdrake
12-20-2008, 02:31 AM
Cheers Cagey - will give it a go :)

JBT27
12-20-2008, 10:39 AM
This is one of those key trip-up points between layered and nodal, which I reckon still needs a good section in the docs for seasoned layered people to get their heads around; there's alot of nodal methods that need to be explained for their equivalents in layered.

Fairly obvious once you know how, as are all obvious things :D

Julian.

kopperdrake
12-21-2008, 05:17 AM
Yep - works a treat!

As you say Julian, there are a few aspects to nodes I'm coming across as I start to explore them that seem un-LightWave in the way my brain is hard-wired to perceive a typical LightWave way of doing things. But I'll get there - nodes are proving to be amazing in the possibilities although they do seem to be not as quick and dirty as layers :)

JBT27
12-21-2008, 03:16 PM
I'll be very keen to see if layered still features in LW10. Another point is that some of the procedurals are just better in their layered incarnation - I don't mean usage, I mean quality and result. I still go with layered in many cases because of this, even though my tiny brain is evolving to cope with nodal. :D

One very big thing, and doubtless I am behind the times with this, is that nodal almost demands a dual-monitor setup, something I have, sadly, still to sort out. There's enough on my desk already, with two 19" LCDs - where the devil another would go is beyond me, for now. :)

Julian.