PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge #19-It's Christmas

Iain
12-19-2008, 02:48 AM
Speed Modelling Challenge #19
Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

This should have been Dreamer's theme but as it's late, we'll go with the ovious one :):

Subject - It's Christmas

Anything to do with Christmas.

Time Limit - 60 minutes

colkai
12-19-2008, 10:02 AM
I had to, the voices made me do it.
Total modelling time, somewhere under 10 mins. :)

flakester
12-19-2008, 10:29 AM
You do the voices a good justice!

Similar to an e-card we were going to send out, but are currently re-thinking [nothing to do with your piece here, Colkai!].

Grand work, love the surfacing. :thumbsup:

flakester.

art
12-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Something simple. It is snowing here right now, so the occasion is perfect.
50 minutes.

Toby147
12-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Great ornament, Colkai!! Looks awesome.

That's a pretty funky-looking beach chair, Art! Hehe, just kidding. It's a cool snow-shoe, though.... ;) Ha. No seriously... what is it? Great model though. :thumbsup:

cresshead
12-19-2008, 06:14 PM
mince pie!:thumbsup:

yummy!

BlueApple
12-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Haven't been able to do any of these challenges for a while as I've been a little busy.

Modeling on the present was 20 minutes. Model and scene are attached for anyone that wants it :)

Dreamer
12-20-2008, 12:09 PM
I had to model this because we make these every year for our tree. I wanted to pick something pretty challenging, but have disqualified myself for time. I couldn't figure how to do this with quads. I spent at least 2 hours on the model and another 1.5 on the texture/render. This was my first real attempt using ffx. I like it for this, even though the needles need to be thicker.
There is very little post process. The picture of the tree was a background image.

Matt
12-20-2008, 02:29 PM
This is one I just had to do!

Tinsel!

"Modelling" time, oooooooooh, a whopping 1 min in FiberFX Modeler! :D

Do I win some sort of prize for the least amount of work done? ;)

cresshead
12-20-2008, 02:39 PM
nice tinsel!...upload the scene and we can start to put together a xmas scene with everyone's models.

BlueApple
12-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Matt, that tinsel looks great. I don't care how long it took to make, it's an excellent entry.

COBRASoft
12-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Matt: superb! I've done my part of tests to get that effect, never succeeded to get it this good. Perhaps you could make a small (video) tutorial around it. I'm sure a lot of people would find it usefull.

art
12-21-2008, 08:42 AM
Very nice Matt. I also would like to see/read how it was done.

IMI
12-24-2008, 01:06 AM
mince pie!:thumbsup:

yummy!

The model and the render look great, but I wholly disagree with the "yummy" part. ;)

Iain
12-24-2008, 01:57 AM
The model and the render look great, but I wholly disagree with the "yummy" part. ;)

Maybe it's different in the US but here, christmas mince pies are filled with sweet fruit.
We do have a mince pie though, and that is pretty disgusting (but tasty, like all the worst stuff!).

Anyway if someone wants to carry this on over the holidays, feel free. If not, I'll pick it up again in January.

Matt
12-24-2008, 03:44 AM
Anyway if someone wants to carry this on over the holidays, feel free. If not, I'll pick it up again in January.

We could all model our unwanted gifts in a sort of Multi-Coloured Swapshop (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzvI4p6ncqk) type Fashion!

:D

cresshead
12-24-2008, 04:21 AM
We could all model our unwanted gifts in a sort of Multi-Coloured Swapshop (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzvI4p6ncqk) type Fashion!

:D
or if your 'from the other side' you could model compost corner, the phantom flan flinger and sally james legs!:D
..spit the dog and cough the cat!
..and Matt...your showing your age!...:santa:

IMI
12-24-2008, 04:37 AM
Maybe it's different in the US but here, christmas mince pies are filled with sweet fruit.
We do have a mince pie though, and that is pretty disgusting (but tasty, like all the worst stuff!).

My one grandmother used to make them at Christmas time. Some kind of Pennsylvania Dutch variation, like everything she cooked or baked. I just couldn't stand them. Give me pumpkin or apple pie any day. ;)

Matt
12-24-2008, 04:00 PM
..and Matt...your showing your age!...:santa:

Hehe, and so are you by knowing that I must be of a certain age to remember Swap Shop!

;)

Matt
12-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Matt: superb! I've done my part of tests to get that effect, never succeeded to get it this good. Perhaps you could make a small (video) tutorial around it. I'm sure a lot of people would find it usefull.

Here you go!

Video Tutorial: Creating Tinsel using FiberFX Modeler
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=799319

cresshead
12-24-2008, 05:51 PM
nice vid!

happy xmas!

adamredwoods
12-24-2008, 10:52 PM
This is all I had time for. A burning Christmas tree.
The model took about 30 minutes, but the tweaking took forever. I tried to keep the render around 4 min.

Combining volumetrics and fiberfx and GI proved to be a task. A lot of trial and error, which took up a lot of time. Also note the poor tree shadow.

Weepul
01-01-2009, 04:59 AM
So... This one still going or what? :)

adamredwoods
01-01-2009, 04:50 PM
My tree render in RC5. Note the shadow problems again, but now with correct illumination. :(

Pamela G. Juust
01-05-2009, 04:00 AM
so...are the speed modeling challenges dead now?

flakester
01-05-2009, 04:05 AM

*sniff*
*chin wobble*

I hope not.
I enjoy them - even if I don't find the time to participate in every one.

art
01-05-2009, 07:42 AM
I'm sure we'll be up to speed soon. Holidays.... New Year... people are probably just getting sober ;)

RollerJesus
01-05-2009, 07:46 AM
I'd hate to see these go.

colkai
01-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Up to us to keep it going, first full week back at work though for some so maybe we look at firing it up from this week? :)

Kuzey
01-05-2009, 09:26 AM
These have been great to me!!

I got a few great characters out of the challenges that I wouldn't have on my own :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Maybe give it another week or so.

Or...Newtek can make a contest of it to coincide with the release of 9.6

:thumbsup::newtek::thumbsup:

Kuzey

Korvar
01-05-2009, 09:37 AM
I think this one is deceased, but I'm sure #20 and on will be healthier...

IMI
01-05-2009, 11:11 AM

Probably not.. At least I hope not.
Iain had said he wouldn't be back at this til after the holidays.
In any event, you won #18, so you're supposed to pick a winner for this one - #19.
I think Dreamer is supposed to decide on the subject for #20, but I've kinda lost track.

adamredwoods
01-05-2009, 11:59 AM
We haven't done microbes yet. That would be cool.

Dreamer
01-05-2009, 12:44 PM
If I am elected to pick something I would choose something less restrictive than microbes, but something that would include them; The Medical Field.

IMI
01-05-2009, 12:59 PM
If I am elected to pick something I would choose something less restrictive than microbes, but something that would include them; The Medical Field.

I think you were supposed to choose the subject for #19, but for some reason Iain did. Seems there was some sort of mis-communication.
You won #17 or 18, right?

Dreamer
01-05-2009, 01:04 PM
I won #17 "Life changing items" with the church key.
I didn'r know that was the rule. I thought Ian picked them.

IMI
01-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Yeah, that's right.
It's confusing, I know. ;)
But the winner is the judge for the following challenge, and the winner of the previous challenge before that selects the next one.
That's why he asked you " I know I'm really late with this but do you have a topic for this week's challenge, Dreamer?"
I think you thought he meant if you had an entry.

The rules really out to be a included in the topic, IMO.

Dreamer
01-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Sorry, I didn't realize he was addressing me like that. I will try to pay more attention in the future. So if we agree shall it be the Medical Field? Lot's of room there.

IMI
01-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Sorry, I didn't realize he was addressing me like that. I will try to pay more attention in the future. So if we agree shall it be the Medical Field? Lot's of room there.

Sounds good to me. All you need to do is copy/paste the info on the first page of the modeling challenges into a new thread called Speed Modeling Challenge # 20, and include your idea.

If I'm wrong about any of this, I apologize, and it's all my fault - everyone yell at me. ;) But I'm pretty sure I'm right.
But I guess Iain's not around. Hope he's OK.

Pamela G Juust is supposed to declare a winner for #19 now, and will be responsible for selecting a topic for #21.
You will be judging #20, and won't have to do anything again unless you win another one.

Dreamer
01-05-2009, 01:46 PM
IMI
I'm not sure how to do that. Do you mean place it in Ian's original post?

Pamela G. Juust
01-05-2009, 01:55 PM
whoa...i get to pick the winner? tubular.
judging only modeling, the winner is Blueapple with his very simple, but well executed giftbox. followed closely by art on his sledge:D
congratulations!

do i get to pick the subject for next week also?

IMI
01-05-2009, 02:01 PM
IMI
I'm not sure how to do that. Do you mean place it in Ian's original post?

No, just create a new thread called Speed Modeling Challenge #20
and paste the following into it, with the relevant information within the parentheses I added. But remove the parentheses

Speed Modelling Challenge #20
Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Subject - (Challenge Subject here)

( Challenge description here)

Time Limit - 60 minutes

IMI
01-05-2009, 02:04 PM
whoa...i get to pick the winner? tubular.
judging only modeling, the winner is Blueapple with his very simple, but well executed giftbox. followed closely by art on his sledge:D
congratulations!

do i get to pick the subject for next week also?

Congrats to Blue Apple. :)

yeah, you'll select the topic for challenge #21, next week.
Not sure when this is gonna end though. They're supposed to start and end on Wednesday, but here it is Monday. I guess this one will go until NEXT Wednesday, two days longer than usual.

Ok, that sounds good. Anyone wants to yell at me for making a decision, do it here, or PM me. ;)

Dreamer
01-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Rules:

60 minutes

Iain
01-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Sorry I've been kind of out of things recently and the winners' responsibilities are a bit convoluted.

I'll set the new one up with Dreamer's topic on Wednesday at 2200 GMT unless it's already been done :)

Congrats to BlueApple!

IMI
01-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Sorry I've been kind of out of things recently and the winners' responsibilities are a bit convoluted.

I'll set the new one up with Dreamer's topic on Wednesday at 2200 GMT unless it's already been done :)

Congrats to BlueApple!

Oh cool. I was hoping you were going to show up. The stress was killing me. ;)

BlueApple
01-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Thank you, Pamela and Iain. I look forward to the next challenge :)

geothefaust
01-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Hey there,

Should we have a new thread for this one? ;)

Rules:

60 minutes

IMI
01-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Hey there,

Should we have a new thread for this one? ;)

Yeah. Iain said he was going to put it up on Wednesday, if it didn't end up there beforehand.

geothefaust
01-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Woops... Thanks. I didn't see that post.

JCG
01-06-2009, 01:11 AM
Well I feel very scroogy about not finding an hour for making a Christmas model so, taking advantage that the new challenge will not be up until Wed, I'll throw in something to appease my conscience until next Christmas. (OK, I admit it, I really wanted to do this model.) (Next, I'll have to appease it about the abuse of lens flaring).

I couldn't find any ref image of his feet so he doesn't have any. Didn't count hair guides as modeling.

Iain
01-06-2009, 02:11 AM
Nice JCG-very cute model.

OK I put the new one up today since people are obviously ready:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=803364#post803364

Thanks to IMI for fielding questions etc :thumbsup:

IMI
01-06-2009, 06:34 AM
Looks really good, JGC!

No problem, Iain - anytime. :)

BlueApple
01-06-2009, 07:32 AM
That's a beautiful image JCG- nicely done.

Iain
01-14-2009, 02:41 PM
I look forward to the next challenge :)

Any ideas for Challenge 21?

BlueApple
01-14-2009, 03:26 PM
"Transportation" could work. I was also thinking about everyone designing their own little 2-3 inch toy, similar to the Dunny.

I leave it up to you, Iain.

Iain
01-14-2009, 03:29 PM
"Transportation" could work.

Interesting. Hmmmmmmmm.................

adamredwoods
01-14-2009, 07:12 PM
I've an idea: all topics should be two words, like "flying transportation" or "ancient transportation".

That way, the contests can go on forever.