PDA

View Full Version : Computer went dead slow???

ted
12-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Yesterday our main edit system bogged down and crashed when we were loading a large project in VT. Vista Ultimate 64.

We tried a reboot and it kept hanging on boot up.
We tried loading off the Vista DVD but it took 10 minutes or more between screens. :bangwall:

Today we bought and installed a new system drive and tried to load the OS from the DVD Drive. It's still taking about 10 minutes or more between each step. :bangwall:

We removed 2 of the 4 memory sticks, same thing, swapped to the other two with the same results. :bangwall:

Any ideas what could make the computer suddenly bog down like this?
We have Norton, (yeh I know), so I don't think it's a virus.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately my dealerís phone has been busy for 2 solid days. :(

Can you tell I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall? :bangwall:

Stooch
12-18-2008, 05:31 PM
God did it.

jaxtone
12-18-2008, 05:38 PM
It sounds like the either the DVD drive itself is corrupt, or the DVD!

Hopper
12-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Did you give it a good cleaning? Dust is a great insulator for heat. All it takes is a few components to be buried in dust bunnies and it could happen.

ted
12-18-2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks guys, Stooch included. Yes I have resorted to prayer, and sacrificing a chicken! :D

I am starting to think this perfectly working system suddenly had a hardware conflict.
Is that possible?
The DVD Drive seems to be working.

As for dust, we have the computer housed in an air conditioned equipment room. Not saying dust can't get in, but it's very clean inside.

Thanks for the replies and keep them coming. :thumbsup:

Bog
12-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Have you tried swapping in a different DVD drive?

Have you tried swapping in an XP disk instead, for that matter...

ted
12-18-2008, 07:19 PM
I might try a different DVD Drive in the morning if this "Repair" doesn't fix it tonight. I'm kind of tired starring at the "Progress Bar" tonight! :cursin:
Thanks for that.
Thank goodness the economy sucks and I don't have clients this week. :D

Bog
12-18-2008, 07:21 PM
My Ghod man! If you're tired of staring at progress bars, what the hell are you doing with 3D animation software?

When they lay me to rest I want an OLED tombstone reading "Not Dead, Just Rendering" with a scrolly progress bar saying "Decomposing: Pass 1 of 9". Come to that, beforehand when I retire I'll buy a watering hole and rename it "The Progress Bar"

Dexter2999
12-18-2008, 09:15 PM
I was going to say something about installing new hardware, but it is actually a software issue. But if you have replaced the drive. I'm not sure.

The "restore partition" failed on my laptop so I got the disks to re-install the system. It took me three days and four tries before the restore disks worked properly. I don't know if this is just a Vista issue or what.

Is the VT software certified to run under Vista64? Or are you running it in "compatability mode"?

I feel for ya Ted. Wish I could help.

ted
12-18-2008, 09:34 PM
Yes, the VT software is Vista 64 certified...I think?
Everything has been running perfectly for about 1 1/2 years. Nothing has changed for at least several months other than windows updates.

I've been reading all over the web and there are some various posts indicating a windows update can accidently overwrite or corrupt important files. But I can't confirm the validity. You know how forums can be. :)

Thanks for all the input guys. Maybe one of these ideas will prove to be the golden ticket. It's so frustrating when you can't even confirm the problem to start the cure.

Silkrooster
12-18-2008, 10:48 PM
My Ghod man! If you're tired of staring at progress bars, what the hell are you doing with 3D animation software?

When they lay me to rest I want an OLED tombstone reading "Not Dead, Just Rendering" with a scrolly progress bar saying "Decomposing: Pass 1 of 9". Come to that, beforehand when I retire I'll buy a watering hole and rename it "The Progress Bar"

Now thats funny.:D

Dexter2999
12-19-2008, 12:04 AM
Yes, the VT software is Vista 64 certified...I think?
Everything has been running perfectly for about 1 1/2 years. Nothing has changed for at least several months other than windows updates.

I've been reading all over the web and there are some various posts indicating a windows update can accidently overwrite or corrupt important files. But I can't confirm the validity. You know how forums can be. :)

Thanks for all the input guys. Maybe one of these ideas will prove to be the golden ticket. It's so frustrating when you can't even confirm the problem to start the cure.

I urge you to keep the updates turned off in the future. Even if that isn't the problem NOW, it could be a problem down the line. It is why I keep the IT guys away from all my computers at work.

colkai
12-19-2008, 02:33 AM
Now thats funny.:D

Ain't it just? :D

-EsHrA-
12-19-2008, 05:35 AM
disconnect dvddrive and/or try swapping memory.
check hardware manager to see if there is a hardware conflict.

AND... Loose Norton, its evil and dead slow, bogs down all comps.

mlon

biliousfrog
12-19-2008, 05:50 AM
See if you can run memtest, it runs before the OS loads so you should be ok. It will need a LOT of time to run but will rule out a dead or corrupt RAM module.

http://www.memtest.org/

Exception
12-19-2008, 07:55 AM
I would suspect memory as well.
memtest86 is indeed the best one, you need to make some sort of bootdisk for it.
You really dont know if your memory is okay until you run that for a few hours.

If that isn't it, perhaps a mobo failure?

ted
12-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. I "think" since I was able to remove 2 mem sticks at a time and swap with 2 more, the memory isn't the issue. (Unless 3 sent bad overnight). :devil:
I'll try pulling the DVD dirve and others as well. After that, I'm going to have to consider the Motherboard. :bangwall:

I've run a disk check for about 15 hours and it's still just moving the task bar. Starting to wonder if I should let it keep going or just cancel and move on to other guesswork tasks. :(

Thanks again for all the help! :thumbsup:

ted
12-19-2008, 10:44 AM
I just found that this disk check process can take hours and even DAYS!
So I'm going to hook up a camera through our TriCaster so I can monitor it all weekend. My GFX guy thought of that! :thumbsup:

Do any of you brainiaccs know of something to test the motherboard? Hopefully without pulling it? :question:

-EsHrA-
12-19-2008, 12:00 PM
get yourself The Ultimate Boot CD ...

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

mlon

ted
12-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Well, 2 1/2 days later the computer finally finished doing it's diagnosis. Something with a hardware change was the only error on the warning log.

Pulled the DV card and the VT card.
Still taking about 10 minutes between each startup screen adn refuses to boot.
I think Monday I'm going to pull out EVERYTHING except the boot drive and video card and try putting one thing at a time back in. :devil:

manholoz
12-20-2008, 11:32 AM
You could try booting in safe mode (does that exist in Vista?) and remove from the hardware setup control panel thingy ALL instances of hard drives and hard disk controllers and anything remotely similar to that, and reboot. This happened to me once, suddenly a hard disk had floppy disk speed, somehow Windows (XP) decided that my perfectly fine hard disk was incompatible and could only work at floppy disk speeds.

Hopper
12-20-2008, 11:42 AM
If you've replaced all of the components that can be replaced and you're still having the same issue, it's more than likely a component on the motherboard. It's unlikely that it's the CPU as they usually work or not.

I would also check the integrity of all of your cables and make sure you don't have any bare wires, kinks in any ribbon cables (if you have any) a tight radius on any connectors.

Even if it "suddenly" starts working properly again, it will remain suspect and not very reliable.

Have you tried putting all of the original components in another system or tried replacing the power supply?

ted
12-20-2008, 03:35 PM
You could try booting in safe mode (does that exist in Vista?) and remove from the hardware setup control panel thingy ALL instances of hard drives and hard disk controllers and anything remotely similar to that, and reboot. This happened to me once, suddenly a hard disk had floppy disk speed, somehow Windows (XP) decided that my perfectly fine hard disk was incompatible and could only work at floppy disk speeds.

Yes, We have booted in safe mode but it keeps hanging on CRCDisk.
It does feel like the system is running at floppy speed.
How do you remove all instances of hard drives?

ted
12-20-2008, 03:37 PM
If you've replaced all of the components that can be replaced and you're still having the same issue, it's more than likely a component on the motherboard.

Are there any applications to run a test on the motherboard? It's a SuperMicro

Dexter2999
12-20-2008, 05:06 PM
I just had my computer go "dog slow" yesterday. Took almost 10 minutes to boot. I had turned off auto updates on my account but they were still on in the hidden Administrator account by default.

I blame Vista. Used the refresh disks to go back to square one and everything is back to normal.

Good Luck Ted

And Merry Christmas

ted
12-20-2008, 07:03 PM
I had auto updates off, but they got turned on automatically somehow?
I wonder if there is something related?
You said "refresh disks", do you mean OS install disk and "Repair"?

Dexter2999
12-20-2008, 08:43 PM
Sorry I said refresh I mean "system restore" they are the ones that restamp the machine so it is like when it came from the factory. I had to use that disk because like an idiot I didn't image my system once I had everything installed properly.

Good Luck Man

Hopper
12-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Are there any applications to run a test on the motherboard? It's a SuperMicro
Hmmm good question. We use in-house diagnostics at a component level. Some of the hard core geeks use the o-scope to read trace signals. The usual POST diagnostics aren't very thorough on most boards. Check the SuperMicro site for any utilities. You can check the chipset manufacturers site also, but it's unlikely you will find anything useful (but you might).

Do you have a spare drive laying around? If so, try doing an install on it with another CD/DVD (or the same one for that matter). If your getting CRC failures on a "disk", it could be the DVD drive or a hard drive. Unless it specifies which one, it could be any of them.

Are any of your drives making any odd sounds or "louder than usual" sounds? When it attempts to boot, can you hear repeating patterns in the sounds of the hard drive? It could be anything from a messed up head, bad berring, or even a piece of dust on the DVD lens.

Strider_X
12-21-2008, 06:15 PM
This is just a Wild guess but, it could be one of three things

1 Bad CPU or heatsink
- check the heatsink fan to see if it works
- Buy or barrow a used CPU to test if you can boot
- check for busted capacitors around CPU on the motherboard
2 Bad Power supply
- A bad PSU may still work but cause booting problems
3 Bad motherboard bridge Chip
- Not being able to boot on to CD or HD means the drive controller could have gone bad
- Try resetting your BIOS

ted
12-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks again guys. I'm dreading going to the studio tomorrow. :cursin:
And my dealers phone is still busy???

Hopper
12-23-2008, 11:43 PM
And my dealers phone is still busy???
Yeah, it's hard to find good crack these days.. oh wait .. you meant... doh! :D

ted
12-24-2008, 02:32 PM
It's actually easy to find crack in Fresno. :D Just not a good computer guy! :(

FWIW, I did get a company to come in last night. They suspect a faulty memory channel on the MB. Sadly they had to take it into the shop. :thumbsdow

You guessed it, they don't work today or tomorrow. Fortunately the are working Friday and Saturday. :thumbsup:
Maybe I can get a SuperMicro MB shipped by the first of the year. In a way, thank goodness it's been slow or I'd be in worse shape. :santa:

Merry Christmas to ya'll and thanks for all the input. :thumbsup: