PDA

View Full Version : Dem Bones

Richard Hebert
12-17-2008, 08:36 PM
Hi everyone,

Merry Christmas! Got a question about bones. I want to parent a layer to a bone but when I do, the layer is way out of place and it's rotated at a weird angle as well. I've tried using Record Pivot and Record Position on the bone before parenting the layer. What am I missing here? Thanks for the help.

Richard

Otterman
12-18-2008, 07:56 AM
Im assuming parent in place is on? Also in the bone property i find it good practice to set the resting rotation and position. (not sure if this is the same as record pivot and rotation) but it prvents it going out of wack as soon as bones are active.

Richard Hebert
12-18-2008, 10:42 PM
Wasn't aware of 'Parent in Place'. I'll look into it. Resting the bones in previous attempts didn't have any effect so it must be the 'PIP' setting. I told you I was new to this! Thanks for the help, I'll let you know if it works for me. BTW, I'm really liking this new look for the forum! It looks very Techno.

Richard

daforum
12-19-2008, 01:54 AM
It's more often than not the position settings (x, y, z) of the bone when you have parented it to another object/ bone that puts it out of place.
Also deactivate the bones before re-parenting or your mesh will be pulled out of shape.

Richard Hebert
12-19-2008, 04:52 AM
I'm running 9.3 and I'm not finding Parent in Place. Let me give you the scenario. Created a pilot figure in Modeler with helmet and face mask on separate layers. Added a few skelegons to the pilot for very minimal movement (didn't need a full rig) mainly of the head moving around. Brought this into layout and converted skelegons to bones. Everything is in place until I parent the helmet and mask layers to the head bone. That's when those layers get repositioned dramatically. I'm probably missing a step. Given this process, what should I be doing? Sorry for not making this clear from the beginning. I really do value everybody's help and input.

Richard

bazsa73
12-21-2008, 05:01 AM
Hi, parent in place is located in the preferences panel, (key 'D').
It should be under the 'general' tab.

Richard Hebert
12-21-2008, 07:15 AM
Thanks Bazsa,

Found the check box and everything is working fine. Thanks for the help. Life just got more productive!

Richard

geothefaust
12-21-2008, 11:02 AM
If you haven't already, make a button for it, I like to put it on the lower pane so I can see it at all times. It'll make you even more productive. :thumbsup:

Richard Hebert
12-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Not sure how to make a button... I'll look into that also. This software is light years ahead of what I was trying to use. It will take another year to get a good handle on all the features. Meanwhile, thanks for the tip, Geo.

Richard

geothefaust
12-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Hey Richard, sorry, it seems I made a mistake! I was thinking about modeler when I typed that last message.

You can still put buttons on the left (or right) side, but not the bottom. Sorry about that.

Anyway, just some quickie info on how to do it...

Go to Edit>Edit Menu layout (Or Alt+F10)
Then search for 'Parent in Place'
Then to be certain that it's always displayed, be sure to place it somewhere under the 'Top Group'.

That's pretty much it. It'll make sense once you open it up and check it out, muck about with it for a bit and whatnot. If you have any questions of course, feel free to shoot me a PM or just post in here. :)