PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Rendering ?

larkis
12-17-2008, 06:14 PM
UMass Dartmouth Physics Professor Gaurav Khanna and UMass Dartmouth Principal Investigator Chris Poulin have created a step-by-step guide designed to show you how to build your own supercomputer for about $4,000. They are also hoping that by publishing this guide they will bring about a new kind of software development targeting this architecture & grid (I know a few failed NLP projects of my own that could use some new hardware). If this catches on for research institutions it may increase Sony's sales, but they might not be seeing the corresponding sale of games spike (where they make the most profit)."

http://www.ps3cluster.org/step1setup.html

Now, at one point at siggraph in 2002 I heard that newtek was working on a linux screamernet node. Would this not be a benefit for cheap rendering ? A few people are doing it with mental ray and maya with pretty good results. I know ram could be an issue but a smart renderer does not need to put the whole frame into ram at a time.

Mitja
12-18-2008, 02:37 AM
I've seen something like this before, but with xboxes. The problem with consolles is that they don't have enough ram. But interesting reading anyway.